• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Poul Ruders (b.1949)

Symphony No.5 - 16 bit CD quality download from Qobuz. £2.39

Listen to Poul Ruders in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Is it any good ?! decent holiday listening ?
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

My copy of "The Art of Scherchen" has been delivered to my chosen pick-up point, the local Post Office. Trouble is, I can't get there to collect it until Tuesday. Latest 'news' re. the Strauss Operas box is that it is down for dispatch on the 31srt inst. and delivery on June 3rd. We shall see.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Is it any good ?! decent holiday listening ?
        On my second listen, as I type. I would say it's definitely worth a punt. Very good music, IMV. The subtitles of each of the three movements are most apt. The slow, tranquil second movement is excellent and quite possibly the lynch-pin of the symphony. Comparatively long at ten and a half minutes.

Go for it, you'll not be sorry (it's cheaper than a copy of the Radio Times, FFS!!)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

BUMP!!!

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Anyone into Eduard Tubin or just curious?

His complete symphonies on BIS (Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi) are just £15.99 for a 16-bit CD quality download from Qobuz. Great value given that I didn’t pay much less than that over 20 years ago for the CD of symphonies 3 & 8!

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/tub.../7318591402046

And Schnittke's Symphonies on BIS. 16 bit CD quality download from Qobuz only £15.99

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Free download of Electra today from Opera Depot to celebrate Inge Borkh's 100th Birthday.

Since 2007, we have cultivated the best collection of nearly 2000 live opera performances on CD and MP3.

Oddly there seem to be different reports of the singer's age, but 100 is plausible if the 1917 date of birth is the correct one.

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Free download of Electra today from Opera Depot to celebrate Inge Borkh's 100th Birthday.

Since 2007, we have cultivated the best collection of nearly 2000 live opera performances on CD and MP3.

Oddly there seem to be different reports of the singer's age, but 100 is plausible if the 1917 date of birth is the correct one.
              Some tempting bargains on this site and 50% off everything today. Can anyone advise on quality of sound or at least transfers (given the age of some material). I'm at work and unable to listen to samples right now. mp3 bit rate is 256 which is reasonable for historic material, I guess

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                Some tempting bargains on this site and 50% off everything today. Can anyone advise on quality of sound or at least transfers (given the age of some material). I'm at work and unable to listen to samples right now. mp3 bit rate is 256 which is reasonable for historic material, I guess
                The sound quality is bearable, though probably not great. I have a more recent download of Elektra elsewhere which I'm sure will be better (perhaps significantly) - but I can't do a direct comparison right now. The Borkh recording is either mono, or very limited stereo, but isn't over distorted. Download shouldn't take too long, so you could get it anyway, and erase if you don't want it.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks Dave

Will also partake of Erich Kleiber's Siegfried (well, excerpts). I'm a bit of a Kleiber completist and I that's the only Ring opera I don't have with him. It's off-air from 1940s Argentina so sound is bad to be poor although perhaps not as poor as his St John Passion (South American premiere?) from that source!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Idle Host has removed fifty-eight posts of the ongoing Strauss Opera Box saga to the "Wot U W8ing 4?" Thread, as requested.

Can I go and cook my dinner now?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Idle Host has removed fifty-eight posts of the ongoing Strauss Opera Box saga to the "Wot U W8ing 4?" Thread, as requested.

Can I go and cook my dinner now?
                      A bit late, now. Wait until morning and have a hearty breakfast.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

I'm beginning to think up a whole new theory about why Schubert didn't finish the B minor Symphony ...
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... I don't know Leonskaja's Schubert - but this might be interesting -

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I don't know Leonskaja's Schubert - but this might be interesting -

http://amzn.eu/2Ilte4Q.
                            Should be strong, powerful performances - esp. D959

Thanks for this. Just ordered.
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• hafod
                              • Nov 2010

All from Diapason and well worth looking through.

Likewise these cpo discs (which have been added at €2.99 to the bargain section for awhile now so some of the plums have sold out). Note the Venzago Bruckner. https://www.jpc.de/s/1238579_67829?searchtype=cid

There are also updated lists at €5.99 and €7.99 respectively accessed from the cpo page on the jpc website.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                All from Diapason and well worth looking through.

Likewise these cpo discs (which have been added at €2.99 to the bargain section for awhile now so some of the plums have sold out). Note the Venzago Bruckner. https://www.jpc.de/s/1238579_67829?searchtype=cid

There are also updated lists at €5.99 and €7.99 respectively accessed from the cpo page on the jpc website.
                                There does seem to be some good stuff in the Diapason lists - typically 2.99 euros, including some nice Rameau and Couperin.
                                There's a Dvorak 8 with Silvestri and the LPO coupled with the piano quntet - Clifford Curzon. There's also the Flying Dutchman conducted by Antal Dorati, ROH orchestra. I might put together an order.

The cpo issues also contain some curiosities. I've not heard of Felix Draesaeke before.

Comment

Working...
                                X