• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Celebrating 150 Years of the Tonhalle Zürich - cheaper on the french/italian/german sites rather than the uk one -

some interesting conductors...
    Just bumping this highly recommendable set. None of the recordings have been previously issued on CD, so if you think some are duplicates of recordings you already have, you are wrong. In some cases, what you have here is 'live' recordings of works and forces who's studio recordings have previously appeared.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Just bumping this highly recommendable set. None of the recordings have been previously issued on CD, so if you think some are duplicates of recordings you already have, you are wrong. In some cases, what you have here is 'live' recordings of works and forces who's studio recordings have previously appeared.
      I’ve taken the plunge. It had better be good
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
        I’ve taken the plunge. It had better be good
        I should add that all the recordings in the set are 'live'. At considerably less than £2 per CD, and with such a varied selection, how wrong could you go? I have not listened to them all, as yet, but those I have listened to have not disappointed.

Comment

• Parry1912
          • Nov 2010

Looking forward to it

Comment

• crb11
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I should add that all the recordings in the set are 'live'. At considerably less than £2 per CD, and with such a varied selection, how wrong could you go? I have not listened to them all, as yet, but those I have listened to have not disappointed.
            I've heard about half and would agree with this. The sound quality is pretty good too, even on the early recordings. Schumann 4 (Schoeck), Beethoven 5 (Kempe) and the Lutoslawski Livre pour orchestre are the highlights so far. The one disappointment is the Andreae Bruckner 7 which has two or three obvious edits in the middle movements (I'm assuming the source wasn't usable at points so they gave us what they could).

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
              I've heard about half and would agree with this. The sound quality is pretty good too, even on the early recordings. Schumann 4 (Schoeck), Beethoven 5 (Kempe) and the Lutoslawski Livre pour orchestre are the highlights so far. The one disappointment is the Andreae Bruckner 7 which has two or three obvious edits in the middle movements (I'm assuming the source wasn't usable at points so they gave us what they could).
              Yes, the edits in the Bruckner 7 are unfortunate but given the technology employed for the masters, not entirely surprising. I found the approach to the work fascinating. I will certainly be returning to it, warts and all.

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

Debussy: His First Performers (10CD) is £8.99 on Amazon

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  Debussy: His First Performers (10CD) is £8.99 on Amazon
                  Unfortunately (for us) the price seems to have almost doubled. Ah well ......!!!

An interesting collection, though perhaps there are only a few perfomances which would really tickle my fancy. Hearing Marcel Moyse et al would be really interesting.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Anyone like ragtime? Free download (mp3) here. Interesting selection - not only Joplin.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Anyone like ragtime? Free download (mp3) here. Interesting selection - not only Joplin.
                      I'll have to check to see if I've had that one already. Is it free without any order?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        I'll have to check to see if I've had that one already. Is it free without any order?
                        Downloaded it gratis this afternoon as only item.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Downloaded it gratis this afternoon as only item.
                          Indeed - that works without having to give too much away. As it happens I have used that site before, and I thought I might already have an account - but it didn't recognise me, so I just put the minimum info in to get the download.

Looks as though the site may have free downloads periodically - see https://www.classicselectworld.com/c...wnloads?page=3 for example.

You'll note that there is a heading for "This weeks free download" which may be something that comes round.

The Vernon Handley Planets on that page might also be worth checking - for 99 cents - though the usual comments about the quality of the mp3 downloads probably apply. That said, many of the downloads are at least serviceable.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Thanks for that gurn, I got the freebie but also remarkably cheaply also two Bach Guild boxes - the Bigger Beethoven box which has the Ilana Vered Piano Concerti and Peter Serkin with the Diabelli variations and the KLR Trio box with Brahms and Beethoven Trios, some Ravel, Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky among others.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Thanks for that gurn, I got the freebie but also remarkably cheaply also two Bach Guild boxes - the Bigger Beethoven box which has the Ilana Vered Piano Concerti and Peter Serkin with the Diabelli variations and the KLR Trio box with Brahms and Beethoven Trios, some Ravel, Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky among others.
                              I also got the KLR box. A giveaway price and a lot of good stuff in there. I split the files into separate folders for better usability.

Recently came across a "ridiculous bargains" message board.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Missed it!

I saw this a few days ago - when it was about £5 cheaper - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grieg-Compl.../dp/B005OV1NH4

I wasn't sure if it would have been worth it. I expect it might come round again, though I think there is a shortage at the supply end.

A few things held me back. One was that I wondered if I'd got a collection of Grieg's music which I've hardly listened to at all - and indeed that turns out to be the case. Rummaging around I found a 21 CD box (Brilliant) which contains a whole lot of songs and piano music I've almost certainly never heard before.

One of those CDs (piano music) is on now, though I have to say, pleasant as it is, it does rather fit into the musical wallaper category - or perhaps I'm being too unkind.

I will keep listening through this box, for a while.

The current box from Brilliant - called the Grieg Edition - is now 25 CDs - https://www.amazon.nl/Grieg-Various-.../dp/B07XFH5QGX

Comment

Working...
                                X