X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Well I do have most of the Suzuki, and the DG and MPL JEG boxes, plus the Leusink. Oh, and several individual discs of other performers. It's just the Harnoncourt set I have been waiting for at an attractive price. Not sure it is possible to have too much of a good thing when that good thing is Bach.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Not sure it is possible to have too much of a good thing when that good thing is Bach.

Me, I'm waiting for the Koopman set to approximate a sensible price

And of course for a complete Kuijken set. At a sensible price...

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Me, I'm waiting for the Koopman set to approximate a sensible price

And of course for a complete Kuijken set. At a sensible price...

Oh, I forgot about having the Rilling survey too (in the complete works box), I wonder why? Possibly because they don't exactly follow HIPP, good as they are in their own way).

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Bravo, Bryn - I am sure you will really love the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt set. Despite its imperfections, it really is very special in so many ways.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Bravo, Bryn - I am sure you will really love the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt set. Despite its imperfections, it really is very special in so many ways.
            It was delivered half an hour ago. I am somewhat shocked by the relative flimsiness of the box once the lid is removed. The should have use a somewhat heavier grade of card. I also felt the need to quickly check that all the discs were present. This due to the amount of free space in the box. Now, where to start? The Berg violin concerto being a work very special to me, I think BWV 60 might be a good choice.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

There's one consolation - though the box is flimsy, at least you save space. My original issue contains 10 x 6CD jewel boxes which takes up a lot of space on my shelves. Mind you, it does also have all the original notes and a nice hardback book too.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                There's one consolation - though the box is flimsy, at least you save space. My original issue contains 10 x 6CD jewel boxes which takes up a lot of space on my shelves. Mind you, it does also have all the original notes and a nice hardback book too.
                ... o, even more space taken up by those of us who bought the (even more original ) forty-five double jewel cases!

My one regret - I initially began by buying the brown box set LPs, with the full scores of the cantatas printed in brown. After collecting about fifteen box sets, the CDs were coming out and I transferred allegiance to that format. The regret is that I got rid of those LPs - and the scores...

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

There are two volumes of notes included in the most recent boxed set, with a section on the musical development in the cantatas byGerhard Schuhmacher and a short essay on each cantata by Alfred Durr, Hans Christian Worbs, Nede Anders and/or Ludwig Finscher, so maybe all the original programme notes are in fact there. The scores must surely be available online. Indeed, they are to be found here and on follow-on URLs.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    The scores must surely be available online. Indeed, they are to be found here and on follow-on URLs.
                    ... yes indeed. And with a copy of this by the armchair, you're pretty well equipped -

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

All the (full and vocal) scores of the Cantatas are available from imslp - some in contributors' "editions" with treble clefs instead of the Tenor, Alto, and Soprano clefs of the older editions (such as used in the Dover scores editions).
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• johnb
                        • Mar 2007

... yes indeed. And with a copy of this by the armchair, you're pretty well equipped -

The cantata texts and English translations are also available on the Bach Cantatas website: http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Texts/index.htm

There are English and German interspersed (English-3I) and English and German parallel texts (English-3P). You can read them on your tablet while listening.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

One of the bonuses of the Brilliant Classic Complete Bach box is the DVD ROM with the scores (300 dpi PDFs) and sung texts, etc. of all the works.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

... o, even more space taken up by those of us who bought the (even more original ) forty-five double jewel cases!

My one regret - I initially began by buying the brown box set LPs, with the full scores of the cantatas printed in brown. After collecting about fifteen box sets, the CDs were coming out and I transferred allegiance to that format. The regret is that I got rid of those LPs - and the scores...

Oh yes, I had quite a few of those, and got rid of them too. They were such beautiful sets - although we gained many things from CD editions, the luxury of those boxes will surely never be equalled.

Comment

• Parry1912
                              • Nov 2010

Yuri Bashmet Complete RCA Recordings (9CDs) on Amazon for £9.99
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                                Yuri Bashmet Complete RCA Recordings (9CDs) on Amazon for £9.99
                                Thank you, Parry 1912. Duly ordered.

Comment

Working...
                                X