Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Sviatoslav Richter plays Schumann and Brahms (1948-1963)

Die CD Svjatoslav Richter plays Schumann & Brahms 1948-1963 jetzt probehören und portofrei für 35,99 Euro kaufen.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

At long last, Warner have released a box of King's Singers recordings from 1974-1990, some of which (AFAIK) are new to CD: Madrigal History Tour, Continental Collection, Lassus sacred & secular, Tallis Lamentations & Byrd motets, La Dolce Vita (music of Renaissance Naples), English & Italian Madrigals. 8 CDs (about 440 mins) for £14.

Unfortunately there are no texts or translations, even online. Why do Warner do this sort of thing? I'd happily have paid double to find out what the non-English pieces are about!

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

The 30cd Telemann box from Sony has been reduced still further - to £17.74 to be precise.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I see that though difficult to find on CD these days, the Krivine Beethoven symphonies on Naïve can be found for €10.99 at QOBUZ in lossless CD quality. A great deal cheaper than downloads from the Chandos site. Sadly, the later alternative perfromance that were on YouTube seem to have been removed. Good job I grabbed them while they were still there.
          Last edited by Bryn; 17-05-19, 14:19. Reason: Typo

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
            The 30cd Telemann box from Sony has been reduced still further - to £17.74 to be precise.
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XJGR3V1/
            That really is the most amazing bargain, I will have to squeeze my shelves even more to make a place for it.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
              https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XJGR3V1/
              I don't know what the original price was, but missed it at £17.74. Currently it's £21.95, which may still be very good value. Spurred on by the comments from others I've put in an order.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I see that though difficult to find on CD these days, the Krivine Beethoven symphonies on Naïve can be found for €10.99 at QOBUZ in lossless CD quality. A great deal cheaper than downloads from the Chandos site. Sadly, the later alternative perfromance that were on YouTube seem to have been removed. Good job I grabbed the while they were still there.
                Terrific performances and well worth the price!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  Terrific performances and well worth the price!
                  Absolutely. I got the CD boxed set at the time of its release. I also have a 'spare' 9th due to its being included in a bargain box of four Naïve Beethoven best sellers. If anyone missed the later video set on YouTube, PM me. I might be able to assist. They took a different approach to repeats in those cité de la musique videos. The audio aspect is only 128kbps aac but that beats the Hell out of Radio 3 DAB at 196kbps mp2.

[Oops. The auido for the video of the 8th is an exception. In that case it is but 64kbps mp3 with a sample rate of only 22.05kHz.]
                  Last edited by Bryn; 12-04-18, 14:17.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I did eventually succumb to buying the Krivine set on CDs. However I still think the Immerseel set is very well worth while, though I missed the last bargain offering. It seems that it might be time to pay more for some sets, before they only become available second hand or via downloads.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      I did eventually succumb to buying the Krivine set on CDs. However I still think the Immerseel set is very well worth while, though I missed the last bargain offering. It seems that it might be time to pay more for some sets, before they only become available second hand or via downloads.
                      Oh I have no intention of knocking the Immerseel set. Before Krivine that was my 'go to', and I continue to return quite often, as I do Norrington with the Stuttgarters, and several others.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 12-04-18, 21:09. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Oh I have no intention of knocking the Immerseel set. Before Krivine that was my 'go to', and I continue to return quite often, as I do Norrinton with the Stuttgarters, and several others.
                        No - I wasn't suggesting you were. I have a whole bunch of Beethoven sets, plus some individual ones - and I like most of them. I do think the Immerseel set is particularly good.

I was simply noting that getting CDs now seems to be becoming harder. Perhaps the days of cheap reissues are numbered, and there won't be any issues on CD (or SACD, Blue Ray etc.) in a few years time. Further, prices may go up, rather than down, as a result. I was waiting for the Immerseel set to become cheaper (which it did, briefly, but I blinked ...) and now there may be no alternative but to buy the CDs while that's still an option.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

No - I wasn't suggesting you were. I have a whole bunch of Beethoven sets, plus some individual ones - and I like most of them. I do think the Immerseel set is particularly good.

I was simply noting that getting CDs now seems to be becoming harder. Perhaps the days of cheap reissues are numbered, and there won't be any issues on CD (or SACD, Blue Ray etc.) in a few years time. Further, prices may go up, rather than down, as a result. I was waiting for the Immerseel set to become cheaper (which it did, briefly, but I blinked ...) and now there may be no alternative but to buy the CDs while that's still an option.
                          I should add that I hesitated before ordering the Immerseel Zig Zag set. I had earlier bought his 1999 Sony recording of the 9th with the same orchestra, though different soloists. I found it pretty dire. Fortunately the 9th in the Zig Zag set turned out to be a very different kettle of fish.

Comment

• Mal
                            • Dec 2016

Fischer's 33CD set of Haydn symphonies crept under £30 recently on Amazon Marketpace, it's now appearing at slightly above £1 per CD, but still a bargain.

Comment

• Mal
                              • Dec 2016

I don't know what the original price was, but missed it at £17.74. Currently it's £21.95, which may still be very good value. Spurred on by the comments from others I've put in an order.
                              Now £32.14, looks like you made the right decision!

Comment

• Stunsworth
                                • Nov 2010

Qobuz have the Kempff stereo Beethoven sonatas available as a download for £11 - 16 bit, £15 - 24/96...

Listen to unlimited or download Beethoven: The 32 Piano Sonatas by Wilhelm Kempff in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X