Number of Discs: 91
    Format: CD+DVD, Box set
    Label: Warner Classics
    ASIN: B019JGOOEI

Currently £36.05
    That looks a fine investment.
    I’m in.
    Thanks for the tip.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
      The Menuhin Century - Luxury edition
      Number of Discs: 91
      Format: CD+DVD, Box set
      Label: Warner Classics
      ASIN: B019JGOOEI

Currently £36.05
      Just when I thought I’m OK - no more for a month or two, and then somebody on these boards comes up with another get thou behind me moment.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Just when I thought I’m OK - no more for a month or two, and then somebody on these boards comes up with another get thou behind me moment.
        Surely a buy and re-sell opportunity at worst ?

Incidentally, I just registered to sell on Amazon, and am allowed to sell books, and other sundry stuff, but not CDs. There seems to be some sort of a clampdown on music sellers.
        Anybody know anything?
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Incidentally, I just registered to sell on Amazon, and am allowed to sell books, and other sundry stuff, but not CDs. There seems to be some sort of a clampdown on music sellers.
          Anybody know anything?
          I pulled out of this earlier this year. They started clamping down on CD sellers insisting that if I wanted to sell them in Good condition I could, but if I wanted to sell in Very Good condition I had to provide receipts of purchase. Now, as the majority of my sales were from my collection, surplus to requirements such as duplications from big boxed sets acquired over a number of years I had no receipts and I had no desire to sell any sub-standard condition CDs, all had been acquired perfectly legally, I really took exception to having to advertise at a lower standard than my product was. This is particularly discriminatory when some of the big boy dealers are advertising all their stock as very good irrespective of actual condition. I may try ebay sometime as my surplus boxes build but I'm not ultra-keen on Paypal.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

I pulled out of this earlier this year. They started clamping down on CD sellers insisting that if I wanted to sell them in Good condition I could, but if I wanted to sell in Very Good condition I had to provide receipts of purchase. Now, as the majority of my sales were from my collection, surplus to requirements such as duplications from big boxed sets acquired over a number of years I had no receipts and I had no desire to sell any sub-standard condition CDs, all had been acquired perfectly legally, I really took exception to having to advertise at a lower standard than my product was. This is particularly discriminatory when some of the big boy dealers are advertising all their stock as very good irrespective of actual condition. I may try ebay sometime as my surplus boxes build but I'm not ultra-keen on Paypal.
            Thanks Cloughie. That was pretty much how I read it, but being a newcomer to Amazon selling, I wasn’t quite sure. Good to have it confirmed.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Seems very cheap, even though I don't like everything Menuhin did. I only heard him live once - a strange concert, with one rather lack lustre performance (IMO) and one absolutely sublime one. Undoubtedly a very fine musician. This should provide a means of geting to know his work, and some music which I don't really know well.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Anybody know anything?
                Will the Menhuin turn out to be another Strauss Opera set?

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Will the Menuhin turn out to be another Strauss Opera set?
                  Not sure. How much is it selling for from other outlets? Although it seems good value, I am wondering whether I really “need” it anyway. I might even cancel my order.

It’s about £258 at another outlet. I might as well hang in for a while!

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Looks like I overpaid for the Menuhin.

Down to £34.28 now.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Looks like I overpaid for the Menuhin.

Down to £34.28 now.
                      Well we jumped too soon ts! MDT have it at £196!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Well we jumped too soon ts! MDT have it at £196!
                        Not a great fan of Menuhin (or of some of the repertoire, I suspect: I do wish that Amazon listings gave the composer!) but snapped up at £34.28.
                        May well keep pristine, as a potential investment, as ts has suggested.

PS: Complete listing here:

PPS: £258.25 at Presto!
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 10-09-18, 14:18. Reason: PS added. Then PPS!

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

I'd forgotten all about last year's Strauss box debacle. Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same thing happened here. I think only one of us stick to his guns and got the thing delivered, the rest of us allowed ourselves to be fobbed off. I think if this offer isn't honoured, it's time to get nasty. I don't like buying from Amazon anyway: this will be a real 'deal-breaker'.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                            I'd forgotten all about last year's Strauss box debacle. Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same thing happened here. I think only one of us stick to his guns and got the thing delivered, the rest of us allowed ourselves to be fobbed off. I think if this offer isn't honoured, it's time to get nasty. I don't like buying from Amazon anyway: this will be a real 'deal-breaker'.
                            But some of us did do rather well with the 'Real Chopin' box set, snapping up some boxes for just a tenner...until Amazon noticed their mistake.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

I have been listening with great pleasure to the recently arrived 10CD Szigeti Milestones box as recommended on Record Review on 1st Sept. Cheapest I could find was £13.75 post free at MDT.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                I have been listening with great pleasure to the recently arrived 10CD Szigeti Milestones box as recommended on Record Review on 1st Sept. Cheapest I could find was £13.75 post free at MDT.
                                Interesting. I have several of those Milestones sets which are usually cheap enough, and also with some good/interesting recordings of erstwhile performers e.g. Annie Fischer. Here is Campoli, and very likely there’ll be others listed at the bottom of the page. I also noticed a Modern Jazz Quartet set.

Comment

Working...
                                X