• cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
    Yep 7th May,well remembered ts.
    Flora Eve!

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Huge Leonard Bernstein box in Presto sale!

Was £260.25 now £90.00

Leonard Bernstein Remastered. Sony: 88985417142. Buy 100 CDs online. Leonard Bernstein

Just ordered mine!
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• sgjames

Monteux - Complete Decca Recordings - 25.10 euro
        Decca, 2019 (22CD)

Saw this on the TC forum - looks like a pricing error.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sgjames View Post
          Decca, 2019 (22CD)

Bit pricey for me. Given the level of duplication it would be around £28 (including p&p) for just couple of discs, with those also being of items that I was not particularly eager to have.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Huge Leonard Bernstein box in Presto sale!

Was £260.25 now £90.00

Leonard Bernstein Remastered. Sony: 88985417142. Buy 100 CDs online. Leonard Bernstein

Just ordered mine!
            Had that a few months ago I think - am.uk for £54.17. Hope that doesn't spoil it for you.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Bit pricey for me. Given the level of duplication it would be around £28 (including p&p) for just couple of discs, with those also being of items that I was not particularly eager to have.
              I have some of the discs already, but not all of them. It works out as £28.88 I think, which seems quite good value.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Paul Lewis Beethoven Box P Concerti, Sonatas and Diabelli Vars due in Nov £23 for 14 CDs - looks good value!

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Paul Lewis Beethoven Box P Concerti, Sonatas and Diabelli Vars due in Nov £23 for 14 CDs - looks good value!
                  Perhaps one of those performers who, dipping in, sounds outstanding while, heard in full, seems somewhat less so.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    Perhaps one of those performers who, dipping in, sounds outstanding while, heard in full, seems somewhat less so.
                    Not sure. Seen him in concert, and also talked to him afterwards over drinks. Very nice guy and quite chatty to talk to, but perhaps seems over serious while playing - minimal interaction (or appearance of interaction) with the audience.

However, I guess that £23 for 14 CDs is probably worth a punt - and presumably would help to keep his wolves from the door - though more likely he'll get a few peanuts, and the record company execs will dine out. Remind me when it needs to be ordered.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Not sure. Seen him in concert, and also talked to him afterwards over drinks. Very nice guy and quite chatty to talk to, but perhaps seems over serious while playing - minimal interaction (or appearance of interaction) with the audience.

However, I guess that £23 for 14 CDs is probably worth a punt - and presumably would help to keep his wolves from the door - though more likely he'll get a few peanuts, and the record company execs will dine out. Remind me when it needs to be ordered.
                      Currently on Amazon’s pre whatsit!

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

5 CDs of Glière from the Chandos stable for just under 20 euros

Die CD Reinhold Gliere: Orchesterwerke jetzt probehören und portofrei für 44,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Reinhold Gliere gibt es im Shop.

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by sgjames View Post
                          Decca, 2019 (22CD)

I considered this (I have very little Monteux) but decided against as it includes (yet another) Beethoven cycle.

I’m not sure anyone needs to hear a Franco-American conducting Beethoven.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post

... people should listen to Franco-Russian-Polish conductors conducting Beethoven -

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                              I considered this (I have very little Monteux) but decided against as it includes (yet another) Beethoven cycle.

But he does them so well, and amazingly with an Austrian, a British and a Dutch orchestra - wowee how did he cope after spending so much time conducting in Frisco and Boston, even Chicago - well he was rather a genius and he knew Debussy, Ravel and Stravinsky. I do, however, think it was a shame that his stereo recording of Berlioz Fantastique was not with the proper gallic sounding PCO, but then we have Argenta’s as compensation.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                But he does them so well, and amazingly with an Austrian, a British and a Dutch orchestra - wowee how did he cope after spending so much time conducting in Frisco and Boston, even Chicago - well he was rather a genius and he knew Debussy, Ravel and Stravinsky. I do, however, think it was a shame that his stereo recording of Berlioz Fantastique was not with the proper gallic sounding PCO, but then we have Argenta’s as compensation.
                                Agreed - he’d does do them (the Beethoven) very well indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X