X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I meant I hadn't seen the issue with the Prime in the German site. I was finding it a little difficult to be sure what was going on, since German isn't one of the languages I'm particularly fluent in.

In the past most of the European Amazon sites have behaved pretty much the same as the UK site, but after the B**** word, I'm no longer sure.
    I don't want to subscribe to something on yet another site, and then forget about cancelling it.

The particular box mentioned only has 4 CDs in it, whereas the box you mention has 10. Is that one still available?
    The 10 CD box is still available for about 27 quid, which in my opinion is pretty good value:

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Indeed that's fine if you already have dBpoweramp, otherwise the cost of purchase would largely wipe out the benefits of not purchasing the CDs in this case. The trial versions might work - but they might also either not do a good job, or put audible interference into the converted audio stream.
      On the assumption that it's file conversion software in which Dave is interested and although I've stopped converting FLAC files to ALAC since buying an Aurender NAS as it handles pretty much anything, when I was still using a MacBook as a storage device for downloaded files, which, from the likes of eclassical.com, needed converting from FLAC to ALAC, I used XLD (X Lossless Decoder) as a file converter without it causing any problems at all. It certainly used to be free and, although the user interface is a bit clunky, it was fast and, as I implied, reliable. See:

Download XLD for free. A tool for transcoding lossless audio files. X Lossless Decoder(XLD) is a tool for Mac OS X that is able to decode/convert/play various 'lossless' audio files. The supported audio files can be split into some tracks with cue sheet when decoding.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        The 10 CD box is still available for about 27 quid, which in my opinion is pretty good value:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tafelmusik-...l%2C155&sr=8-8
        I hadn't really intended to get into this - but there are more Telemann boxes available. I don't know if they're all good, or comparable to the 10 CD box you mention. There are several more shown at the bottom of the page I've just linked to, including:

Rene Jacobs - 7 CDs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telemann-Co...72HQHBZ4&psc=1

Harnoncourt et al - 13 CDS - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telemann-25...1MY6NF1S&psc=1

Telemann edition - 10 CDs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telemann-Ge...0AC4D6C8&psc=1
        Also, I assume that the bargain box which set me off in this direction in fact only has 4 CDs - though whether they are the best out of the 10 in the larger box I don't know.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I got my Telemann fix in 2018 with a real bargain from Amazon.de - Sony Masterworks collection, 24 Euro delivered for 30 discs, so I think I have reached my tally of Telemann. Discontinued but Amazon UK is still listing one copy at £69.99.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I got my Telemann fix in 2018 with a real bargain from Amazon.de - Sony Masterworks collection, 24 Euro delivered for 30 discs, so I think I have reached my tally of Telemann. Discontinued but Amazon UK is still listing one copy at £69.99.
            Yes, I got that too - a fantastic box, given the luxury list of performers within it.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Yes, I got that too - a fantastic box, given the luxury list of performers within it.
              Amazon tells me I had that box in 2018 - must find it. House move happened after that.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Amazon tells me I had that box in 2018 - must find it. House move happened after that.
                I have not moved house but am still not sure where my set is.

(August 2017 from amazon.it, £41.31 including p&p. Those were the days, when buying from amazon in different EU countries often meant a lower outlay.)

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I have not moved house but am still not sure where my set is.

(August 2017 from amazon.it, £41.31 including p&p. Those were the days, when buying from amazon in different EU countries often meant a lower outlay.)
                  I think I had it for £21.95 from the UK - you woz dun!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I think I had it for £21.95 from the UK - you woz dun!
                    When I got the set, I checked all round the EU amazon sites, including co.uk. At that time, the Italian site was by some margin the cheapest. The price may have dropped the following year, I suppose.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

I think I got it for around 30 euros. Just looking at the box cover again and I am reminded just what an excellent collection it is. The Paris Quartets by the Kuijkens, the complete Der Getreue Musikmeister, some vintage cantata recordings with Collegium Aureum, two complete operas etc. It's a winner!

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

The Bernstein Symphony Edition LP shape box is down to £54 at the tax dodgers , so I have finally taken the plunge, as I already have the orchestral works box.
                        It duplicates the Mahler box mor3 or less but not too much else that I have,( I think !)
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

A couple of freebies - though only mp3 downloads.

I noticed these:

The complete sonatas for solo piano, performed by Jeffrey Biegel. Piano Sonata in C Major, K.2791. I. Allegro2. II. Andante3. III. Allegro Piano Sonata in F Major, K.2804. I. Allegro assai5. II. Adagio6. III. Presto Piano Sonata in B-flat Major, K.2817. I. Allegro8. II. Andante amoroso9. III. Rondeau: Allegro Piano Son

and also this one:

Classical, Jazz, Pop, World and Country Music on CD, DVD, Digital Downloads and Blu-Ray at Great Prices! Featuring classical music by Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi and performances by Karajan, Bernstein, Bocelli, Callas, Perlman and more. Featuring jazz, classic pop and rock and roll from the 1950s and 1960s.

I may have one or both already, but they might be worth downloading while they're on offer.
                          There was apparently a glitch in the free download recently, so the company sent out a correction email.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

This CD does not look like a bargain - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myaskovsky-.../dp/B003NIMSUG

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

This CD does not look like a bargain - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myaskovsky-.../dp/B003NIMSUG

Oh, I don't know. £3.50 plus p&p isn't that bad, surely?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

My page at the river people shows that visitors to that page also viewed the "Collectors Edition" of Nos 1-13 (Complete?) at a more reasonable price (at the moment) of £25.83.

Looking for books on Abebooks, it seemed (not done it recently...) there is always someone, often in the mid states of the US, listing a copy at a wildly inflated price.....

Comment

Working...
                                X