X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mario
    • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Thanks for this Dave. I didn't know about this website, and as both Spotify and Qobuz aren't available here, but CSW is, I've just downloaded their free offers this month!

Thanks, again!

Mario

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

Amazon (and I think Ebay) handle the VAT accounting necessary for their sellers. I suggest care using any other vendors outside the UK.

Its possible that they aren't impacting too much on small packages (given the furore of birthday etc gifts ordered to be delivered into the UK in Jan/Feb...) whatever the strict rules. But the rules (on the post office handling charge web pages - possibly with links to HMRC for Import charges) were quite complex when I looked in January - and it said there was no £15 exemption level any more (again, excluding Ebay/Amazon because they handle the necessary charges).

My conclusion was to stick to the above 2 platforms for the moment and take stock later. (And I am trying not to acquire more CDs, especially Box Sets.....). There was a thread on this topic at the turn of the year.....

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
        Thanks for this Dave. I didn't know about this website, and as both Spotify and Qobuz aren't available here, but CSW is, I've just downloaded their free offers this month!

Thanks, again!

Mario
        Some of the CD offers look very good too - but I suspect that those are going to be most useful for people in the US or Canada.

Maybe they do also export to Europe/UK - but ever since the B**** word I've been very wary of anything which requires importing to the UK.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

This looks like a good download offer - perhaps someone who's more into this kind of thing - Bruckner + download can comment.

https://www.eclassical.com/conductor...ymphony-3.html Bruckner 3 - Dausgaard

Works out at around £6 - so would be good if the performance is good with a recording to match. Includes surround sound versions.

Comment

• Mario
            • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Some of the CD offers look very good too - but I suspect that those are going to be most useful for people in the US or Canada.
            Dave, I can only repeat my thanks to you for pointing out the Classic Select World website on this forum, but your comment re only “useful for people in the US or Canada” has confused me.

I’ve downloaded their free offers, and you’re right, as there’s some good stuff there - not top-notch performers true, but the music is free. I’ve also purchased their French & Baroque boxes of around twenty-three hours of music for the princely sum of just under two Euros.

Straightforward download – why would this be only useful to our American and Canadian friends?

BTW, we also have Spotify now which is useful.

Incidentally, I'm coming across some orchestras I've never heard of before - e.g., Sir Adrian Boult conducting the Pastoral with the "London Prom Orchestra"?

Many thanks,

Mario

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Dave, I can only repeat my thanks to you for pointing out the Classic Select World website on this forum, but your comment re only “useful for people in the US or Canada” has confused me.

I’ve downloaded their free offers, and you’re right, as there’s some good stuff there - not top-notch performers true, but the music is free. I’ve also purchased their French & Baroque boxes of around twenty-three hours of music for the princely sum of just under two Euros.

Straightforward download – why would this be only useful to our American and Canadian friends?

Incidentally, I'm coming across some orchestras I've never heard of before - e.g., Sir Adrian Boult conducting the Pastoral with the "London Prom Orchestra"?

Many thanks,

Mario
              In the 1950s and 1960s the LPO was contracted to more than one record company, and its aliases included 'The Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra (of London)'

Comment

• Mario
                • Aug 2020

Aha!

Thanks, LMcD!

Mario

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Maybe I'd be interested in Boult's Pastoral - which collection was it in?

Re the site being useful for people on the other side of the Atlantic - I was thinking about the physical disc side of the business - and deliveries. Even if the goodies get past customs, I'm not sure that the CDs and DVDs would work out so well with carriage charges as well - though I'd be delighted if I could be told otherwise.

There seem to be quite a number of "real" box sets and other collections on CDs which look worth having - if that's viable.

Downloads will be similarly useful on both sides of the Atlantic.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Many thanks,

Mario
                    In my early youth, I purchased that Boult Pastoral in Woolworths. I was on some obscure bargain basement label. It was, I recall, very good as a performance. With the equipment I had at my disposal in those days, the audio quality of a recording was hard to assess.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      In my early youth, I purchased that Boult Pastoral in Woolworths. I was on some obscure bargain basement label. It was, I recall, very good as a performance. With the equipment I had at my disposal in those days, the audio quality of a recording was hard to assess.
                      Here's its discogs entry, though no mention of a UK release:

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Here's its discogs entry, though no mention of a UK release:

https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-Si.../master/847629
                        I think it may have been on the "Fidelio" label. There is, or waws, a DVD Audio verion on the Silverline label.

't recsll

I don't recall my LP having the Fidelio Overture, just the 6th Symphony.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Vanguard Everyman Classics, I think. 8184 193 E (8-Trk Quad. Sim)

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Vanguard Everyman Classics, I think.
                            No, it was a far more obscure label I only ever saw in Woolworths. Who they may have licenced the recording from is another matter,

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

No, it was a far more obscure label I only ever saw in Woolworths. Who they may have licenced the recording from is another matter,
                              Silverline Classics (with Fidelio Overture)?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Boult re-recorded the Pastoral with the LPO under its own name in the late 1970s and it received a very positive review from RO in Gramophone . In recent years it has appeared in that big From Bach to Wagner EMI box and on Medici masters CD coupled with a Mozart No 41 that took very high rank in the BAL on the work .

No idea what the earlier version is like but I doubt it betters the EMI version.

Comment

Working...
                                X