Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

I'm informed that this recording was sold in Woolies on the Allegro label. Catalogue number 11002041.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      No, it was a far more obscure label I only ever saw in Woolworths. Who they may have licenced the recording from is another matter,
      Allegro Records. Very cheap and most definitely sold in Woolies. The 'Pastoral' was also released on a 'Fontana' LP by Philips - cheapish but not bargain basement. Recorded by Vanguard in London in 1957, as were the 3rd, 5th and 7th. Quite why the LPO was under contract (but to which company?) and so had to record under pseudonymous titles for other companies is not altogether clear. Was the "Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra of London" as conducted by Erich Leinsdorf in various Mozart symphonies for Westminster in the mid 1950s also the LPO? [Update: No, it wasn't: it was the Royal Philharmonic]. Nixa had the orchestra billed as the Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra in the 1950s, e.g. Boult's Schumann symphonies - not even with, "of London", in the title. All rather curious.
      Last edited by HighlandDougie; 02-08-21, 10:59. Reason: Updated info on Leinsdorf's Mozart recordings

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Maybe I'd be interested in Boult's Pastoral - which collection was it in?
        Dave, with pleasure!

The box you are seeking is “Big Summer Box”. To save you going through the listing, here it is:

Albinoni T Conc a cinque in Bb Maj Op 5 No 1 I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Beethoven L v S No 06 in F Maj Pastoral Op 68 London Prom O - Boult Sir A
        Bizet G Carmen Suite Vienna State Opera O – Rossi M
        Boccherini L SQ Op 13 No 05 (Minuet) I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Corelli A Sonata in A min I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Handel G F Royal Fireworks ECO – Somary J
        Handel G F Water Music Suite ECO – Somary J
        Haydn F J SQ Op 3 No 5 I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Mendelssohn F Midsummer Night’s dream Op 21 Vienna State Opera O – Golschmann V
        Mozart W A Divertimento in F Maj K 138 ECO – Blum D
        Mozart W A Divertimento in D Maj K 136 I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Mozart W A Divertimento in Bb Maj K 287 I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Mozart W A Divertimento in Bb Maj K 137 ECO – Blum D
        Mozart W A Eine kleine Nachtmusic K 525 I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Mozart W A Serenata Notturna in D Maj K 239 ECO – Blum D
        Pergolesi G B Con in G Maj I Solisti di Zagreb – Janigro A
        Vivaldi A Conc in G min Summer RV 315 I Solisti di Zagreb - Jan Tomasow – Heiller A

I’ve given the composers in alphabetical order to help you search for a particular piece, but of course, this is not the way they're compiled.

Bryn’s description of the Pastoral is nigh on spot-on.

The first and second movements move on with a pleasant momentum, no narcissistic approach here by Sir Adrian (a common characteristic I think?), the storm nicely weighty (no pulling the reins back in Thieleman’s appalling rendition), and a finale which is honest, sincere and possessing a genuine repose, without over-milking the religious aspect, including, mercifully, no spurious rallentando over the last two chords.

Sound quality on my more-than-adequate system leaves nothing to complain about.

Dave, the “Big Summer Box” contains some 4 hours of music, and it’s free.

You do have to open an account with Classic Select World, but in the two weeks I’ve been a member (and I’ve ticked the box for future emails on further downloads), they haven’t pestered me at all.

But beware…

All of this is very tempting, as this week’s free download (there’s one a week I believe), called Big Winds and Brass Box (all seven hours of it) contains Mozart’s 4 Horn Concs & Bassoon Con, Haydn’s Trumpet & Oboe Concs, Vivaldi, Cimarosa, etc, etc.

The information given by other posters on this unknown (to me) orchestra and the original label, is far more informative than anything I have to offer.

The link to your box is

Tomaso Albinoni: Concerto a Cinque in B-flat Major, Op. 5, No. 1I Solisti di Zagreb; Antonio Janigro, conductor1. I. Allegro moderato2. II. Adagio3. III. Allegro vivace Antonio Vivaldi: Concerto in G Minor, RV315 "Summer"Jan Tomasow, violin; I Solisti di Zagreb; Anton Heiller, conductor4. I. Allegro non molto; Allegro5

Enjoy!

Mario

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Mario - thanks for letting me know. I have the Big Summer Box already - so I'll look out for that performance.
          There is normally one free one per week - though from time to time I lash out and buy some of the other downloads on offer.

If you are are a member, does the firm keep your credit card details? I just put my details in each week for the free ones, as it doesn't need a CC number for those.
          I really dislike firms which keep details without letting customers know exactly what information they are retaining. To me this seems an enormous problem with all this online data protection and GDPR stuff - the end user really does need to know which data each firm is keeping or allowed to keep. The legislation and implementation of it in different countries is a complete mess, and doesn't really address issues which many consumers really want to have under their control.

I found in the case of one UK based firm it had retained my credit card details after a purchase. That was B&Q. Although it was quite convenient, I insisted that the data was removed. The assumption that one wants to have a continuing relationship with a firm after one purchase just strikes me as totally presumptious and not always desirable.

If the carriage from the US were not excessive I might be tempted to actually buy some CDs or other physical media - but I have been less sure about imports from abroad recently.
          I don't want to buy cheap CDs and the get stung for vast amounts of import duty - though I've had CDs from around the world in the past.

Comment

• Mario
            • Aug 2020

Mario - thanks for letting me know. I have the Big Summer Box already - so I'll look out for that performance.
            There is normally one free one per week - though from time to time I lash out and buy some of the other downloads on offer.

If you are are a member, does the firm keep your credit card details? I just put my details in each week for the free ones, as it doesn't need a CC number for those.
            I really dislike firms which keep details without letting customers know exactly what information they are retaining. To me this seems an enormous problem with all this online data protection and GDPR stuff - the end user really does need to know which data each firm is keeping or allowed to keep. The legislation and implementation of it in different countries is a complete mess, and doesn't really address issues which many consumers really want to have under their control.

I found in the case of one UK based firm it had retained my credit card details after a purchase. That was B&Q. Although it was quite convenient, I insisted that the data was removed. The assumption that one wants to have a continuing relationship with a firm after one purchase just strikes me as totally presumptious and not always desirable.

If the carriage from the US were not excessive I might be tempted to actually buy some CDs or other physical media - but I have been less sure about imports from abroad recently.
            I don't want to buy cheap CDs and the get stung for vast amounts of import duty - though I've had CDs from around the world in the past.
            Dave, greetings!

There is so much here that I agree with! I cannot remember whether they kept my credit card details or not, I'm sorry. Like you I'm usually wary. I may be mistaken, but I THINK they ask first if you wish them to keep your CC details online (to facilitate the next purchase).

Sorry can't help further.

Best wishes,

Mario

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Postscript to above - the Scarlatti recorder sonata in the Big Winds and Brass Box is very pleasant. If I can find out how to get this all put onto something which will play in our cars that'd be great. Unfortunately all the cars are different now and we only have one left which will play CDs. The car that I very sadly had to scrap had a CD player which would do mp3s directly - very useful.

I think I can do similar things now with USB sticks, but it seems that the results are different in different car players - which is really rather a nuisance.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Auferstehen View Post
                There is so much here that I agree with! I cannot remember whether they kept my credit card details or not, I'm sorry. Like you I'm usually wary. I may be mistaken, but I THINK they ask first if you wish them to keep your CC details online (to facilitate the next purchase).
                Mario
                I too am concerned about vendors on the internet who offer to store my credit card details. I'm even more so concerned about those who don't ask for my consent whether to store the data - if its under the Consumer legislation protection of £100 I use paypal instead.

I hope my credit card/bank issuer's system is secure (although no need to correct me - relatively secure - some if not all of them have "legacy" systems at the core of their IT systems I understand. If there was a breach, would it be made public?

I'm very happy to put my card details in every time, but then I use a desktop computer when buying, normally - so I can cut and paste.

I also "lose" the credit card I use for purchases / services every 12-18 months to get a new number - I keep authorisations for recurring payments to a minimum, and once I was contacted for details of the new card for a service which, on reflection, I didn't use much and didn't need so I saved by cancelling it. I avoid using my debit card and make a particular record when there is no other option - as the funds are taken straight out of my bank account I regard it as risky because if there is a fraud, I'm arguing to get my money back, rather than arguing over a bill I am due to pay.........

Comment

• Mario
                  • Aug 2020

Postscript to above - the Scarlatti recorder sonata in the Big Winds and Brass Box is very pleasant. If I can find out how to get this all put onto something which will play in our cars that'd be great. Unfortunately all the cars are different now and we only have one left which will play CDs. The car that I very sadly had to scrap had a CD player which would do mp3s directly - very useful.

I think I can do similar things now with USB sticks, but it seems that the results are different in different car players - which is really rather a nuisance.
                  Dave,

As you mention Scarlatti, I don’t know whether you’re interested but in the Big Baroque Box Vol 4, you have his Keyboard Sonatas, namely

K 211 in A Maj
                  K 212 in A Maj
                  K 261 in B Maj
                  K 262 in B Maj
                  K 248 in Bb Maj
                  K 249 in Bb Maj
                  K 416 in D Maj
                  K 490 in D Maj
                  K 491 in D Maj
                  K 492 in D Maj
                  K 052 in D min
                  K 417 in D min
                  K 264 in E Maj
                  K 263 in E min
                  K 318 in F# Maj
                  K 319 in F# Maj
                  K 348 in G Maj and
                  K 347 in G min

They’re all played by Elaine Thornburgh on the harpsichord. In this Box, you have some 8 hours of music involved, all for the tidy sum of Eur 0.95, just in case you’re interested…

Insofar as playing music in your car is concerned, others far more technologically-digitally-electronically-minded than me will have to help I’m afraid.

Mario

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Mario

Thanks - I may have that Scarlatti already, but I can check - and it's not the end of the world if I spend under £1 to get a new copy! Most likely I have it already though.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      I'm very happy to put my card details in every time, but then I use a desktop computer when buying, normally - so I can cut and paste.

I also "lose" the credit card I use for purchases / services every 12-18 months to get a new number - I keep authorisations for recurring payments to a minimum, and once I was contacted for details of the new card for a service which, on reflection, I didn't use much and didn't need so I saved by cancelling it.
                      I'm pretty much in agreement with you - though I don't usually deliberately "lose" my cards so that the data has to change.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Presto currently have, amongst their office Chandos at up to 40% including downloads.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Naxos freebie. https://benefits.naxos.com/Gift/Rede...7b8fe63f1f7681
                          I went for the recommended Beethoven Trio download.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I should have gone for the Beethoven Trio mentioned above - but there's not time to listen to everything - or download them all.

In the meantime this week's Classics Select World options includes a lot of Haydn - and I think it's worth having because of the performances of the symphonies with David Blum - https://www.classicselectworld.com/c...free-downloads

There are a few other sets this time which might be worth a small outlay. Usually the quality of the downloads is bearable - though not terribly exciting. I have some of Janigro's symphony performances on LP - which I suspect sound better. Not sure if there are good CD or download reissues. There are a few others in the Haydn box which I don't know well - or at all - such as the Palindrome symphony.

Comment

• Mario
                              • Aug 2020

I agree with just about every single sentence here.

Dave, for whom I shall always be grateful as he introduced me to this website (I’ve PM’ed and thanked him before), is spot on. I’ve just downloaded this Haydn offer.

The complete list is

Keyboard Con in D Maj Hob XVIII:11
                              Keyboard Con in D Maj Hob XVIII:2
                              Trumpet Con in Eb Maj
                              Missa in angustiis in D min
                              O to L’isola disabitata
                              O to Orlando Paladino
                              PS in Eb Maj
                              S No 44
                              S No 45
                              S No 46
                              S No 47
                              S No 48
                              S No 49
                              S No 59
                              S No 75
                              SQ No 54
                              SQ No 55
                              SQ No 56
                              SQ No 57
                              SQ No 58
                              SQ No 59

I can provide further details of performers if required. Dave mentions that, “Usually the quality of the downloads is bearable - though not terribly exciting”, and again I agree with this. As it’s all free, maybe I shouldn’t complain too much.

Sometimes though, these freebies unearth wonders, e.g. above, the PS in Eb Maj Hob XVI:49 by Sviatoslav Richter (the website says Sviatislav though), which I haven't yet heard.

Mario

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

I should have gone for the Beethoven Trio mentioned above - but there's not time to listen to everything - or download them all.

In the meantime this week's Classics Select World options includes a lot of Haydn - and I think it's worth having because of the performances of the symphonies with David Blum - https://www.classicselectworld.com/c...free-downloads

There are a few other sets this time which might be worth a small outlay. Usually the quality of the downloads is bearable - though not terribly exciting. I have some of Janigro's symphony performances on LP - which I suspect sound better. Not sure if there are good CD or download reissues. There are a few others in the Haydn box which I don't know well - or at all - such as the Palindrome symphony.
                                Though they are very low priced, or even free, I have found the downloads can take several hours to be made available after purchase. Then the rather slow download process itself can be pretty frustrating (I have a genuine 106 Meg connection), with several failures on the road to a successful full download. Once downloaded, the real fun starts. File naming can be quite haphazard and filing into suitable folders somewhat drawn out.

Comment

Working...
                                X