No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Now you're talking - that was class!
    Re the War Requiem I feel sure that those who do admire it don't play it every day. I think it's a great piece, but not really for everyday consumption. Maybe that's what put you off? Of course you may just not like it! I think it's worth persevering a bit though.

Comment

... am currently much enjoying the latest offering just out from Pieter Jan Belder on brilliant - vol 1 ( a 2 CD set) of his survey of the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book - stylish playing, and attractive harpsichords .

Comment

Now you're talking - that was class!
        When asked what American Pie meant to him Don McLean replied "It means I don't have to worry about working again".
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
          When asked what American Pie meant to him Don McLean replied "It means I don't have to worry about working again".
          An honest response

Comment

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
            I think the question was actually in reference to Madonna's recording of American Pie, and his response deflected having to make any judgement of her interpretration. He is a great singer/songwriter and probably very underrated.

Comment

It's an excellent song. However I once had the misforrtune to hear Madge's version in a restaurant - it's a war crime!

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                It's an excellent song. However I once had the misforrtune to hear Madge's version in a restaurant - it's a war crime!

Comment

I think the question was actually in reference to Madonna's recording of American Pie, and his response deflected having to make any judgement of her interpretration
                  Not necessarily. In this article he praises her rendition and then, at the end, says "When people ask me what 'American Pie' means, I tell them it means I don't ever have to work again if I don't want to." It seems to be a long-standing joke. http://oldies.about.com/od/70spopand...mpiemclean.htm
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                    Not necessarily. In this article he praises her rendition and then, at the end, says "When people ask me what 'American Pie' means, I tell them it means I don't ever have to work again if I don't want to." It seems to be a long-standing joke. http://oldies.about.com/od/70spopand...mpiemclean.htm
                    Well I'll be ... I think I'd have been less effusive about someone who'd murdered my song, but then it's probably not wise to unnecessarily upset Madge! There are however certain songs which should not be tampered with. DMc was certainly more neutral on the Madge subject in the Johnny Walker interview last Sunday.

Comment

Has anyone picked up on the new complete Toscanini yet and worked out the best price? 85 discs for about £90 as a pre-order on Amazon seems quite a bargain. (sorry if it's already buried earlier in this thread)

Mike

Comment

I think I'd have been less effusive about someone who'd murdered my song, but then it's probably not wise to unnecessarily upset Madge!
                        Perhaps he was thinking about the royalties!
                        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                          Has anyone picked up on the new complete Toscanini yet and worked out the best price? 85 discs for about £90 as a pre-order on Amazon seems quite a bargain. (sorry if it's already buried earlier in this thread)

Mike
                          Yes I have. Unfortunately, Amazon have informed me that the issue has been delayed until April.

Comment

Someone has posted on Amazon that EMI are planning a reissue of Boult's Austro-German classics from late in his career sometime in June .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              Someone has posted on Amazon that EMI are planning a reissue of Boult's Austro-German classics from late in his career sometime in June .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                Are we talking Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Wagner?

Comment

Working...
                                X