Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite as cheap as the Membran box but, even with shipping costs, a lot cheaper than from our friends at amazon.co.uk - and no duty to pay as it's under the threshold:

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
      I'll bring it back then!

The Borodin's Warner set of the Tchaikovsky Quartets/Souvenir at Sainsbury's for £4.99:

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E10063853

I didn't know that this was currently available. Amazon don't have it.
      Sainsbury's Information had me puzzled as it mentions Yaroslav Alexandrov, the 2nd violin who retired from the 'original' Borodin Quartet due to ill heath in the mid 1970s about the same time that the leader Rostislav Dubinsky defected to the West. The Elatus bargain has the later violinists Mikhail Kopelman and Andrei Abramenkov. Going off thread again, I see that Chandos have the same music by the 'original' Borodins joined for the Souvenir de Florence by none other than Rostropovich who preceded for a few months the amazing 62 year stretch as the Borodin's cellist of Valentin Berlinsky. I also discovered that Melodiya are about to re-issue what looks like that same earlier recording - but of course neither can compete as a bargain with the later Elatus recording at JS's price!

Comment

Just had this from CMM www.classicalmusicmobile.com

new stereo releases:

- Tchaikovsky: Symphonies No 4, 5, 6 by Evgeny Mravinsky

- Debussy: La Mer by Fritz Reiner

- Schumann: Cello Concerto by Mstislav Rostropovitch

> ALL STEREO RECORDINGS

- Brahms: Symphony No 2 by Sergiu Celibidache

Comment

Just arrived: http://www.selections.com/AL674/pucc...-operas-13cds/
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Just had this from CMM www.classicalmusicmobile.com

new stereo releases:

- Tchaikovsky: Symphonies No 4, 5, 6 by Evgeny Mravinsky
            And there are these:

Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky: Symphonie Nr.6 (SHM-SACD) jetzt probehören und portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky gibt es im Shop.

Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky: Symphonie Nr.5 (SHM-SACD) jetzt portofrei für 52,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky gibt es im Shop.

Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky: Symphonie Nr.4 (SHM-SACD) jetzt portofrei für 52,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Peter Iljitsch Tschaikowsky gibt es im Shop.

Oops, entirely the wrong thread......

[No, I haven't bought these ........... yet.]

Comment

Zinman's Mahler cycle on SACD for €50.
              Die SACD Gustav Mahler: Symphonien Nr.1-10 jetzt probehören und portofrei für 29,99 Euro kaufen. Mehr von Gustav Mahler gibt es im Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/deta...0/hnum/4942921
                Is that one good? I've heard varying reports, such as that some of the performances are good, but maybe not all up to the same standard (well, whose are in Mahler?), and also that the sound quality is very good. I've had a few complete Mahler sets recently, and they cost considerably less than this one even at this price. OTOH, if the SQ is good as well as the performances this could still be considered a bargain. SACD and surround sound enthusiasts may perhaps prefer this to some others.

I went looking for SACDs of Mahler, and to my surprise there are several, though perhaps not many complete sets. My gut feeling is that the best sets are still CD only, though it looks as though it's possible to build up an SACD collection of all the individual symphonies.

Comments?

Comment

Well, I'm an SACD enthusiast and don't prefer this set, good though it is, to Kubelik or Bertini. I didn't buy the Carpenter version of Ten.

Least successful of Zinman's recordings is the 6th which is too polite for my taste. For an SACD of the 6th, MTT's is pretty well paced and recorded at an intense time in the US. In fact, that's the only MTT Mahler I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Is that one good? I've heard varying reports, such as that some of the performances are good, but maybe not all up to the same standard (well, whose are in Mahler?), and also that the sound quality is very good. I've had a few complete Mahler sets recently, and they cost considerably less than this one even at this price. OTOH, if the SQ is good as well as the performances this could still be considered a bargain. SACD and surround sound enthusiasts may perhaps prefer this to some others.

I went looking for SACDs of Mahler, and to my surprise there are several, though perhaps not many complete sets. My gut feeling is that the best sets are still CD only, though it looks as though it's possible to build up an SACD collection of all the individual symphonies.

Comments?
                    My Gergiev Mahler 2, 6,7,8 & 9 are all LSO Live SACDs

My Abbado Mahler 3, 6 & 9 are DG SACDs

All good noises!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                      All good noises!
                      I love Abbado's Mahler and these discs are seriously good noises !!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post

All good noises!
                        I have the Abbado M6, an excellent performance in excellent sound. I haven't come across SACDs of his 3rd and 9th.

Comment

The sound may not be "good noises" but the Walter Mahler box is under £10 (+ £1.26) from several .co.uk Market Place sellers.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                            The sound may not be "good noises" but the Walter Mahler box is under £10 (+ £1.26) from several .co.uk Market Place sellers.
                            maybe I should have go at that. I heard Walter's Mahler #9 about 25 years ago, but not since.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                              They sound good to me, though not ultra. I got my set new a few weeks ago from France. I didn't see anything as low as £10 new. Definitely a good set though.

Just checked and there are currently two Amazon market place sellers offering it at around £10 - one in the US and one in Canada. Go for it!

I only have one of Gergiev's series - the 8th, which is OKish. I was at the live performance in St Pauls - a bit of a sonic nightmare. The recording is a reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                                http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/deta...0/hnum/4942921
                                I flagged this as it was the only complete SACD set I found apart from the hideously expensive MTT and at a price about a third less than usual. Despite the price the helpful observations above persuade me not to go for it. I probably have too much Mahler anyway!

Comment

Working...
                                X