Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    ... invisible hand - not perfect but it can save much time when it identifies the right product to compare.
    http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/
    Indeed, an aid, rather than a panacea.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      This one however is a steal not an overdose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Com...4163583&sr=1-2
      (Some of) my set arrived today. Unfortunately, upon opening the box it revealed but 6 of the intended 7 discs. CD 3 was missing. I have initiated the replacement process with Amazon. Let's hope they send all 7 discs this time. Fortunately one of their "Collect+" locations is a local shop about 5 minutes walk from here.

Comment

Found a copy of the double fforte EMI coupling of the Beethoven 7 RPO/Davis and Schuvert 9 Cleveland/Szell on play.com at a much lower price than the amazon sellers.

Both performances are very fine indeed and the Beethoven in particular has a joie de vivre that put it in the very first rank to me .

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Indeed, an aid, rather than a panacea.
          Interesting, though doesn't appear to work with tablets such as iPads. Invisible hand, that is http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            I succumbed to the Melos Ensemble 11CD EMI Icon set seeing it for only £18 at play.com. (Amazon £29)
            http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1831...n/Product.html
            Thanks to gurnemanz for tipping me off about this: I was waiting for the price to plummet a bit further one amazon, but thought I'd take a punt at this price and am very glad I did: so far, nothing but outstanding performances; looking forward to getting to the 'unfamiliar repertoire' on the later discs.

Comment

Good to hear from you again, Mandryka, and welcome back!
              As you see, your "Bargains" Thread is flourishing.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                Thanks to gurnemanz for tipping me off about this: I was waiting for the price to plummet a bit further one amazon, but thought I'd take a punt at this price and am very glad I did: so far, nothing but outstanding performances; looking forward to getting to the 'unfamiliar repertoire' on the later discs.
                Welcome back, Mandryka

Comment

Welcome back from me too, Mandryka, hope you are well.

Comment

Qobuz sale of 24 bit downloads this weekend for those able to purchase.

30% off and a 10 euro voucher for next order.

Yes, I succumbed.....

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                      Qobuz sale of 24 bit downloads this weekend for those able to purchase.

30% off and a 10 euro voucher for next order.
                      Are there any obvious "highlights", and is there a problem for us in the UK?

What did you go for?

Comment

Yesterday I got hold of Pieter-Jan Belder's excellent Brilliant Classics set of the Scarlatti sonatas for just under 30 euros - for 36 CDs! It is good to have for the library, but I have to say that for me, a little Scarlatti goes quite a long way!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          Yesterday I got hold of Pieter-Jan Belder's excellent Brilliant Classics set of the Scarlatti sonatas for just under 30 euros - for 36 CDs! It is good to have for the library, but I have to say that for me, a little Scarlatti goes quite a long way!
                          I bought the Scott Ross set several years ago, MickyD and found it to be wonderful 'walking music' - as I toddle round the park with my CD Walkman in my ears, Mr Scarlatti transports me such that I'm able to complete lap after lap without any pain intruding

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I bought the Scott Ross set several years ago, MickyD and found it to be wonderful 'walking music' - as I toddle round the park with my CD Walkman in my ears, Mr Scarlatti transports me such that I'm able to complete lap after lap without any pain intruding
                            I bought both of these when they were available cheaply. 30 Euros sounds a decent enough price for the Belder. That price seems similar to what I paid a few years ago for each set, but even Belder usually costs a lot more now. I agree that a little Scarlatti, lovely though it is, goes a long way. I think there is at least one other set worth considering - isn't it by Richard Lester - and doesn't look like a bargain in any format - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...i+lester&ajr=0 The details of the Ross set are here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlatti-Co...5705246&sr=1-1 Someone else can find these cheaper - but I'd say a target price of under £40 for any would be very good now, though comparable with what I paid.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              ... ah, Scarlatti is a composer who somehow 'gets' to me more than anyone else. I think there is a consonance between his musical obsessiveness - and he is obsessive - and something in me. In playing him (trying to play him) there is a physical joy of the fitting under the fingers that I find nowhere else. And in listening to him, a physical excitement - and yet also a sudden heart-rending emotion at an unexpected harmonic change - that - given the tiny field in which he chose to operate - is just wonderful...

The Belder set is excellent. As is the Scott Ross...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                I think there is at least one other set worth considering - isn't it by Richard Lester - and doesn't look like a bargain in any format - .
                                ... I have the Lester, and have found it to be deadly dull, enervating - sucking out of Scarlatti all the joy that I expect to find there...

Comment

Working...
                                X