Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Takacs are in a class of their own (as are my personal favourites, the Tokyo 4tet and the Lindsays), but a few pennies more than the £6 mentioned in the OT.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      The Takacs are in a class of their own (as are my personal favourites, the Tokyo 4tet and the Lindsays), but a few pennies more than the £6 mentioned in the OT.
      The Takacs do indeed cost quite a few pennies more than the sum originally mentioned, but they are worth every single one of those pennies IMHO.

Comment

Well I ordered up the Belcea, so bryn is to blame if it all goes wrong !!

seriously, there is much to moan about in the modern world(and I am guilty of doing it a fair bit), but for the £7 you can have a choice of two decent sets of 6 SQ's, and for a few quid more a choice of several more.....that is pretty reasonable.
        If memory serves, albums were around £5 in 1980..........and wages about a fifth of what they are now.
        Pity there are so few shops to browse in.......or perhaps they are hidden away.

I used to love my saturdays in Bath 30 odd years ago, browsing half a dozen shops for those lost punk classics.....!!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I too would recommend spending the extra to get the Takacs (and their DVD of three and a bit of the quartets, too), but in addition to the Belcea Quartet's CDs, rather than in place of them. There again, I would not readily part with the surveys by the ABQ, the Fine Arts Quartet, the Juilliard Quartet (both recordings), the Kellers (already mentioned), the Emerson Qt., the Vegh Quartet, or of the Fourth played by the Ardittis.

Comment

If, like me, you'd long fancied the Kempff 50s mono recording of the Beethoven Sonatas, but felt you couldn't justify the expense, you may be interested to know that Regis are now bringing them out, very reasonably priced (on MDT: not listed on Amazon yet): I'm really looking forward to having a listen to what some think is one of the best ever cycles.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
              If, like me, you'd long fancied the Kempff 50s mono recording of the Beethoven Sonatas, but felt you couldn't justify the expense, you may be interested to know that Regis are now bringing them out, very reasonably priced (on MDT: not listed on Amazon yet): I'm really looking forward to having a listen to what some think is one of the best ever cycles.
              That's good news, I think it's my favourite cycle, mono sound of course. The DG box isn't expensive but at this price it's an excellent bargain

It mentions new transfers ....

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Right - transferred from what? Master-tape or pristine LP?

Looks like a bargain if the former, less so if the latter although it's possible to get good results that way.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  Looks like a bargain if the former, less so if the latter although it's possible to get good results that way.
                  Quite so: REGIS previously issued the Schnabel set in transfers from 78s - with first-class results (better IMO even than the NAXOS transfers - never heard EMI's).

Never heard the Mono Kempffs before; Ammie's link looks very juicy!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post

Oh great news..........I have a man from whom I can get an especially good deal on regis stuff.............lucky me !!
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      That's a good price but I think I'll wait and see what others think of the new transfers before I take the plunge.
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

I missed out on the free NMC sampler (now over £7), though console myself with the thought that mostly these are not worth having.

The latest free sampler seems to be this one from EMI - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classics-Gra...29527&sr=301-2

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          I missed out on the free NMC sampler (now over £7), though console myself with the thought that mostly these are not worth having.

The latest free sampler seems to be this one from EMI - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classics-Gra...29527&sr=301-2
                          Fascinating. Karajan, Furtwangler, Callas, Rostropovich, Richter, DFD, Heifetz, Domingo, Rattle and (drum roll) Sabrine Meyer.

Spot the odd one out......

Comment

Ah yes, Meyer is the one with a typo in her name...

Comment

Originally posted by ostuni View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                                There are two - it ought to be Furtwängler or Furtwaengler.

Comment

Working...
                                X