• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    Or indeed this one from the same stable - 37 cds of 'Slava on DG for the same price.
    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01L98GVZE
    Been there. Done that.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
      How about Julius Katchen - The Complete Decca Recordings (35 CDs)?
      https://www.amazon.it/Julius-Katchen...dp/B01H9HK3XK/
      Many thanks - I've dithered about buying this (at a higher price) so didn't hesitate this time. Added to Hafod's Slava spot, for which also many thanks (worth it for the DSCH Cello Concerto 2/Dvorak with HvK alone)

Comment

• hafod
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        Many thanks - I've dithered about buying this (at a higher price) so didn't hesitate this time. Added to Hafod's Slava spot, for which also many thanks (worth it for the DSCH Cello Concerto 2/Dvorak with HvK alone)
        The Slava spot is not mine but is down to Kamisama. I was merely noting that it and the Katchen were from the same source which seems to be in a limited discounting phase at the moment. Another example is DG's 30 disc Stravinsky box also going for €36.99.

If you have "Been there. Done that" I see little point in telling everyone.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

The Slava spot is not mine but is down to Kamisama. I was merely noting that it and the Katchen were from the same source which seems to be in a limited discounting phase at the moment. Another example is DG's 30 disc Stravinsky box also going for €36.99.
          https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B013FFSG7U ...
          Anther very fine bargain. Well worth it as a supplement to the Sony Stravinsky survey. Around two thirds of the price I paid at the time of its release.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            Unfortunately for those who want it, the Rostropovich box is currently shown as unavailable at the bargain price. Might be worth ordering in the hope that further supplies come to light.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Apologies to Kamasama - but, Hafod, King of Bargain Spots (and wallet-lightener) sans-pareil, do, please, continue to post your finds. I am sure that I am not the only forumista who gets a slight twitch of excitement when he sees that there is a new post from you in the 'Bargains' thread. I'm continuing to get great pleasure from your NYPO box find (my bargain of bargain buys, in terms of the pleasure it has brought me).

Comment

• Kamisama
                • Mar 2015

A review of the Katchen box can be found here:
                Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

A review of the Katchen box can be found here:
                  http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...bum_id=2215311
                  The dispatch of my order has been confirmed, with delivery scheduled for tomorrow (apparently it left the well known Italian town of Peterborough at 15:59 today, though whether that was BST, GMT or CEST I do not know).

[Not bad for an order placed at 22:16 last night and originally given an estimated delivery range of Friday to Tuesday next.]
                  Last edited by Bryn; 24-10-17, 19:01.

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B013FFSG7U
                    Just a couple more to add to this apparently limited discounted phase although not all are currently available - not surprising really that they sell quickly and run-out. In my experience it is often just restocking so worth a punt if you want it.

The Westminster Legacy: 40 discs for €36.99 - a great set.

Rachmaninov: The Complete Works: 32 discs for €33.75

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      The dispatch of my order has been confirmed, with delivery scheduled for tomorrow (apparently it left the well known Italian town of Peterborough at 15:59 today, though whether that was BST, GMT or CEST I do not know).

[Not bad for an order placed at 22:16 last night and originally given an estimated delivery range of Friday to Tuesday next.]
                      The Katchen box has just been delivered. The packaging was a touch babushka. Inside the oversized Amazon corrugated card box with its brown paper shock-absorber stuffing was another smaller corrugated cardboard box which in turn contained the Katchen box. Now to give the 78 derived items a spin. The Rachmaninov will not arrive as swiftly. They have sent it by Royal Mail and it is not expected to be delivered until next Wednesday. We shall see.

Comment

• PJPJ
                        • Nov 2010

How about Julius Katchen - The Complete Decca Recordings (35 CDs)?
                        https://www.amazon.it/Julius-Katchen...dp/B01H9HK3XK/
                        Well spotted - just ordered, thank you!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

The Katchen box has just been delivered. The packaging was a touch babushka. Inside the oversized Amazon corrugated card box with its brown paper shock-absorber stuffing was another smaller corrugated cardboard box which in turn contained the Katchen box. Now to give the 78 derived items a spin. The Rachmaninov will not arrive as swiftly. They have sent it by Royal Mail and it is not expected to be delivered until next Wednesday. We shall see.
                          Mine arrived this morning via Royal Mail. Ordered very late Monday evening, standard delivery. Don't think it's been anywhere near Italy. Looks good even if I now have a high percentage of duplicates to sell. But then Katchen's recordings are worth it!

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Has anyone already got the big Rachmaninov box? I am rather tempted...go on, urge me a little more!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Mine arrived this morning via Royal Mail. Ordered very late Monday evening, standard delivery. Don't think it's been anywhere near Italy. Looks good even if I now have a high percentage of duplicates to sell. But then Katchen's recordings are worth it!
                              And there are some there which are first time releases on CD. About to give the Brahms Op. 5 and 24 disc a spin.

[Hmm. Though recorded in 1949 and first issued on 78s I think these must derive from tapes, not Shellac. I detect no sign of surface noise at all. Come to that I don't hear the usual remnants of tape hiss either. Very fine transfers to the digital domain, and what playing!]
                              Last edited by Bryn; 25-10-17, 14:20.

Comment

• Pianorak
                                • Nov 2010

Now to give the 78 derived items a spin. . .
                                Well, deserving of a spin? Catching my Katchen soon!
                                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                                X