X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

The Slatkin American Collection, mentioned on both the New releases and the American music threads, is now out at a ridiculously low price (£14.95 plus p+p) that makes buying it essential, despite duplications!

Comment

• Mal
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      I was given the 22 CD Stravinsky set as a present a couple of years ago: it's a good set to dip into, but I'm not sure even I have listened to all the whole thing.
      I picked up a new set from a closing down sale on ebay for less than £20, I'm having a great time dipping into it. A recent BAL related bargain I acquired is Bernstein's 2 CD set of Candide for £6:

At least I hope it's a bargain, haven't listened to it yet...

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        The Slatkin American Collection, mentioned on both the New releases and the American music threads, is now out at a ridiculously low price (£14.95 plus p+p) that makes buying it essential, despite duplications!
        Not sure if the Slatkin is for me - an odd collection.

I found this from off the Amazon web site - when I went looking for the Slatkin set - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...n=new&qid=&sr= (Mozart 46 symphonies)

May be rubbish, but it may be worth a punt. I'm not sure if it's on Qobuz or another site, in which case it would be possible to preview it before taking a chance on the CDs.

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Mahler: Symphonien 1-9 [Various] [Br Klassik: 900714]
          "Chor und Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks"

Offered at £16.12 from a single marketplace seller (there were four sellers at this price half an hour ago so if you want it don't prevaricate)

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hafod View Post

[I]f you want it don't prevaricate)
            I didn’t. It is still listed though.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

On such a high minded forum with some diffidence I recommend Alto's coupling of a pair of Oistrakh recordings of Max Bruch.

His 1955 Bruch 1 with the LSO and Matacic.A performance that reminds you why this piece is so popular and a country mile in charm and interest from most performances and his 1963 Decca recording of the Scottish Fantasia with LSO / Horenstein. Not only wonderfully played by Oistrakh but wonderfully accompanied too.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Offered at £16.12 from a single marketplace seller (there were four sellers at this price half an hour ago so if you want it don't prevaricate)
                Once again, many thanks, Hafod, for the spot - supposed to be from a seller in the Netherlands so we'll see what transpires.

Comment

• Kamisama
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  Once again, many thanks, Hafod, for the spot - supposed to be from a seller in the Netherlands so we'll see what transpires.
                  The following seem to be relatively cheap as well:

Alsop/Bernstein box
                  Rosbaud/Bruckner box (historical)
                  Simone Young/Bruckner box

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kamisama View Post
                    The following seem to be relatively cheap as well:

Alsop/Bernstein box
                    Rosbaud/Bruckner box (historical)
                    Simone Young/Bruckner box
                    And thank you Kamisama - Bruckner/Rosbaud duly ordered

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

I was regretting missing this, but then I discovered I've probably got all of those in the Kubelik Collectors edition box which I had a few years ago.

If you put in a search such as "Mahler Kubelik" on amazon.fr or amazon.de you'll probably find some individual symphonies at really low prices.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        I was regretting missing this, but then I discovered I've probably got all of those in the Kubelik Collectors edition box which I had a few years ago.

If you put in a search such as "Mahler Kubelik" on amazon.fr or amazon.de you'll probably find some individual symphonies at really low prices.
                        ?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

I am confused - there are no Kubelik performances in that box.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            I am confused - there are no Kubelik performances in that box.
                            Mmmm. Now I am too.

The link now goes to a box priced at £46.04 with several different conductors. As you state, there aren't any Kubelik performances. I thought I was looking at Kubelik's set yesterday - but maybe not. There was also mention of market place sellers - I also scanned down those from the link as I thought it was at the time. Maybe I got it wrong, or perhaps the link changed. The price certainly is much higher now than reported. As I have a number of sets of Mahler symphonies including Bernstein, Kubelik, Walter etc. I don't feel a strong need to buy another right now.

Comment

• crb11
                              • Jan 2011

Right link, but the cheap ones have gone. It got a good writeup from MusicWeb International which includes a list of performances.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

I was fortunate in that I just happened to check for new messages here while traveling by tube to Westminster on my way to last night's performance by N. O. Moore, John Butcher and Eddie Prevost at ikectik. I just managed to complete my order before the signal was lost as we entered the tunnel system.

[Tracking states that the set has been dispatched and is being carried by "swiss post".]
                                Last edited by Bryn; 03-05-18, 15:13. Reason: Update.

Comment

Working...
                                X