Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

I hadn't played Il Giardino Armonico for a while so it came as a surprise to find that the reviewer found it so untamed. The excerpts (which EH has so helpfully identified) were chosen clearly to illustrate those moments where the performance went off piste giving the erroneous impression that the whole set is like this. I shall probably do some more comparative listening between this, the AAM/Manze and the Avison Ensemble to see whether I agree with the reviewer's conclusion.
    The reviewer was spot on though, wasn't he? in pointing out that so many "off piste" moments make for exciting listening first time around, but pall on repetition. That is partly the point - or at least used to be - of BaL, to come up with a performance that you could live with, and which offered fresh insights on each hearing, rather than paying declining dividends. Second time round, I for one found Antonini's performances insufferably showy, camp and trivial. He might view Italian opera of the period that way, but I demur!

Comment

It transpired that I have the winner on my server and listened yesterday. It is really excellent and the playing is so much more stylish than the AAM days of yore

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        Sara M-P was a refreshing stand-in for A McG….
        If her words are to be believed, she must move through life in a perpetual state of disbelief - virtually every comment she makes includes ‘incredible’ / ‘incredibly’…
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Well at least everything wasn’t, “amazing”, but, her (regrettable) emphasis on various aspects of performances being hard to credit aside, I’m sticking to my guns on both S M-P being a welcome change and, as Master J eloquently states above, Antonini’s approach palling on repeated hearings.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            Well at least everything wasn’t, “amazing”, but, her (regrettable) emphasis on various aspects of performances being hard to credit aside, I’m sticking to my guns on both S M-P being a welcome change
            … and I agree with you about that

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

… and I agree with you about that
              I do wonder if Mr McGregor is being not-so-subtly eased out of the picture. The move to the Saturday afternoon graveyard slot was hardly a vote of confidence in his continued stewardship, and he must be reaching the point where enough is enough.

Record Review has been defining my Saturday mornings for well over half a century, and in my opinion there's been no better presenter of the show over the years than Mr McGregor, despite his quirks and quiddities.

I shall be bereft when it goes (Saturday Live on Radio 4 certainly Will Not Do) and am thinking about missing out a week, then listening to the latest old episode on BBC Sounds at my customary time. A workaround, which will leave me out of touch with fresh comments on the Forum, but maybe - just maybe - keep terminal sadness for the managed decline of Radio 3 at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

I do wonder if Mr McGregor is being not-so-subtly eased out of the picture. The move to the Saturday afternoon graveyard slot was hardly a vote of confidence in his continued stewardship, and he must be reaching the point where enough is enough.

Record Review has been defining my Saturday mornings for well over half a century, and in my opinion there's been no better presenter of the show over the years than Mr McGregor, despite his quirks and quiddities.

I shall be bereft when it goes (Saturday Live on Radio 4 certainly Will Not Do) and am thinking about missing out a week, then listening to the latest old episode on BBC Sounds at my customary time. A workaround, which will leave me out of touch with fresh comments on the Forum, but maybe - just maybe - keep terminal sadness for the managed decline of Radio 3 at bay.
                I recommend that. The days are long since gone when I listened to anything on R3 at the time of broadcast (hence popping up here today having listened to Saturday’s BAL this morning). I don’t read the threads till after (so as to avoid the ‘spoiler’ effect) which does mean I’m often tail-end Charlie here - but so be it.

Hence whether RR is Saturday morning or afternoon is something that, for me, is neither here nor there. But saving up the previous week’s for a Saturday morning listen seems to me a sensible solution for you!

Comment

Thanks, Nick, for reminding me how long 'Record Review' has been on Saturday mornings. I well remember it in the 1960s with John Lade. It's amusing to recall that when it began there were doubts at the BBC that recommending commercial recordings was 'advertising'.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I recommend that. The days are long since gone when I listened to anything on R3 at the time of broadcast (hence popping up here today having listened to Saturday’s BAL this morning). I don’t read the threads till after (so as to avoid the ‘spoiler’ effect) which does mean I’m often tail-end Charlie here - but so be it.

Hence whether RR is Saturday morning or afternoon is something that, for me, is neither here nor there. But saving up the previous week’s for a Saturday morning listen seems to me a sensible solution for you!
                    And presumably that way of listening makes it easier to concentrate on the content ,as it can be paused to make a note of information, instead of having to try and listen and write at the same time? In the days of my regular listening, although I didn't buy the recommendations, I found the analysis of different interpretations useful from a general 'improving understanding' perspective, but couldn't always note such things while continuing to listen to the programme as it continued.
                    Being a tail-end Charlie isn't much of an issue I would have thought. The BAL thread often continues over quite a time as folk catch up, consider posts, and contribute additional information and thoughts.

Comment

One problem with listening the following week is that if you do happen to like the recommended recording (or sometimes even another highlighted recording), want in on CD, and it isn't still in print, you may well find there are no copies to be had, or the prices have been hiked to unreasonable levels. That's especially true if something was released (say) 5 or 10 years ago, when it probably had a pretty limited pressing and never entered the afterlife of mid-price reissues (a sector of the market that seems to be vanishing on CD).

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

And presumably that way of listening makes it easier to concentrate on the content ,as it can be paused to make a note of information, instead of having to try and listen and write at the same time? In the days of my regular listening, although I didn't buy the recommendations, I found the analysis of different interpretations useful from a general 'improving understanding' perspective, but couldn't always note such things while continuing to listen to the programme as it continued.
                        Being a tail-end Charlie isn't much of an issue I would have thought. The BAL thread often continues over quite a time as folk catch up, consider posts, and contribute additional information and thoughts.
                        Which is a very good reason why I (and I'm sure others will help if need be) will aim to keep them going even if fewer people end up listening and the listings at the start (time and effort constraints being what they are!) might not be as comprehensive as Alpie's impressive compilations.

Comment

Thats very interesting, ReTune, about the effect of a recommendation on prices. It reminds me of seeing a shed full of fat geese and the farmer saying 'I'm just waiting for Delia Smith to recommend goose and I'll sell the lot'.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Absolutely… and I’d go further: for the more analytical reviewers it’s become an important part of listening to be able to go back and re-listen to an extract - because quite often, and rather annoyingly, they highlight an aspect of the playing AFTER the extract. I like to try and hear what they’re talking about in the music, so will often rewind and listen again.

Comment

The performers on the Brilliant Classics set are Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum Leipzig, Max Pommer conductor, recorded 1983, Paul-Gerhardt-Kirche, Leipzig. (From MusicWeb International review)

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              10.30 am
                              Building a Library

Joseph McHardy chooses his favourite recording of George Frideric Handel's Concerti Grossi, Op. 6.

As an added extra to tempt London audiences to his 1739–1740 season of masques and oratorios, Handel wrote 'Twelve Grand Concertos' to be performed during the intervals. The concertos, full of memorable melodies, harmonic and rhythmic surprises, make a feature of the interplay between the main orchestral group and smaller groups of soloists. A handful of the concertos are wholly original but in most Handel recycles bits and bobs from his and others' older music, and two are reworkings of his organ concertos. Their movements encompass many different forms including diverse dances, intricate fugues, airs, and themes and variations – all of which delighted, and continue to delight Handel's audiences.

Available versions (complete set)

AAM/Manze (D)
                              AAM Berlin/Forck (CD)
                              Alexander Schneider’s CO/Schneider (D)
                              Arte dei Suonatori/Gester (SACD, D)
                              Aradia/Mallon (CD, D)
                              ASMF/Brown (PCD, D)
                              ASMF/Marriner (D)
                              Australian Brandenburg O/Dyer (D)
                              Avison Ensemble/Beznosiuk (D)
                              Bamberger Symphoniker/Lehmann (D)
                              Berlin PO/Karajan (D)
                              Combattimento Consort Amsterdam/de Vriend (D)
                              English Concert/Pinnock (D)
                              Giardino Armonico//Antonini (D)
                              Grande Ecurie/Malgoire (D)
                              Handel and Haydn Society/Hogwood (CD, D)
                              I Musici (D)
                              I Musici di Montreal/Turovsky (CD, D)
                              Munich Bach O/Richter (D)
                              Musiciens du Louvre/Minkowski (D)
                              Orpheus CO (D)

There is also a set in the 65CD Brilliant Classics Handel set, but I could not find out who was playing.

D: Download
                              CD: CD (possibly in set)
                              PCD: Presto CD
                              SACD: SACD

​Thread launched without Alpie's approval, so I hope he won't mind. Maybe he's still struggling with Schubert S9.

Best laid plans and all that.....
                              I thought I'd list by Ensemble rather than conductor, but what do you do with articles? Just Musici looked odd!

There aren't that many, so I hope the list is easy enough to navigate, and that the abbreviations used are comprehensible.
                              As ever, corrections/additions etc willingly accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Payn View Post
                                The performers on the Brilliant Classics set are Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum Leipzig, Max Pommer conductor, recorded 1983, Paul-Gerhardt-Kirche, Leipzig. (From MusicWeb International review)

Duly added.

Comment

Working...
                                X