Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
    Yesterday's Feedback covered the changes to the Radio 4 schedule with the Radio 4 controller putting his case. I appreciate that moving the Archers stirs up even more controversy than RR but has anyone written to feedback, perhaps a concerted effort might get our point across?
    I think it is hopeless writing to Feedback, as Radio 3 controllers have historically responded so complacently to the programme's rather bland (do I mean "balanced"?) questioning. These people do not care about losing formerly 'loyal listeners' from older generations, yet have no clue how to attract younger replacements. It's a case of (poorly) managed decline.

I've contented myself with writing a short thank-you mail to Record Review for my half-century and more of stimulating listening, coupled with the regret that I won't be listening to the programme in its truncated, Saturday afternoon 'graveyard slot'. I would guess that they're as cheesed off with upper management as the rest of us, and I wanted them to know that I don't blame them for what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
      I would guess that they're as cheesed off with upper management as the rest of us, and I wanted them to know that I don't blame them for what's happening.
      A very interesting article about the BBC (8 pages, 3 cols per page), researched by Alan Rusbridger, in the March issue of Prospect magazine. It argued pretty persuasively where all the pressure was coming from.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Has anyone linked to this piece yet?
        The unacknowledged heart of Radio 3 is not to be found in its long, often meaningless, sequences of alternating announcement and track, nor in the concerts it broadcasts or weekly evensong…

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post
          https://thecritic.co.uk/against-the-...record-review/
          The paragraph beginning "For the cynic..." has been quoted elsewhere, but I don't know if the link to the article was also provided - if it was I didn't read it, so thank you for posting here where I have now followed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post
            https://thecritic.co.uk/against-the-...record-review/
            An absolutely superb article Retune . Thanks so much for spotting it and posting. It encapsulates every thing I think about the popular vs elite (pseudo) argument. But then I come from the Arnold / Leavis viewpoint that dares to think that some works of art are better than others and values individual intelligence over mass idiocy . Inclusivity as the writer points out is just another word for marketing by dumbing down. He rightly praises Andrew MacGregor as one the jewels in the R3 crown.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

The paragraph beginning "For the cynic..." has been quoted elsewhere, but I don't know if the link to the article was also provided - if it was I didn't read it, so thank you for posting here where I have now followed up.
              Yes, the link was provided on the thread about Record Review moving, #35 yesterday 17.10. I just used a hotlink because people initially complained about the space taken up by the preview and thumbnail . I suppose they're now used to it and have come to expect/need it.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

We won't go very far (at least in advance of the programme) if the BBC website doesn't get updated.
                Nothing mentioned in the 20 April slot yet.
                Maybe their chosen reviewer would rather be at an afternoon football match.

I'll set a thread going once I spot what the piece is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  We won't go very far (at least in advance of the programme) if the BBC website doesn't get updated.
                  Nothing mentioned in the 20 April slot yet.
                  Maybe their chosen reviewer would rather be at an afternoon football match.

I'll set a thread going once I spot what the piece is.
                  Go to BBC Radio 3 schedules for 6th April > Record Review > click on link to RR website - next up will be Nigel Simeone reviewing recordings of Brahms's 3rd Symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

If I've read the Record Review website correctly, Nigel Simeone will be reviewing recordings of Brahms's 3rd Symphony.
                    That's scheduled for Saturday 13 April (and already has a long BaL thread)!
                    Nothing yet listed for 20 April.
                    This coming Saturday is RVW's Sea Symphony, which perhaps needs bumping (or a spring tide nudge!).

Comment

That's scheduled for Saturday 13 April (and already has a long BaL thread)!
                      This coming Saturday is RVW's Sea Symphony, which perhaps needs bumping (or a spring tide nudge!).
                      You're quite right, squire!

Comment

For the 20th it just says "A thorough look at the week's classical music releases, plus news and recommendations". No See more ... on that. Yet details for the 27th are already up: J Summerley on Monteverdi's Vespers.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

For the 20th it just says "A thorough look at the week's classical music releases, plus news and recommendations". No See more ... on that. Yet details for the 27th are already up: J Summerley on Monteverdi's Vespers.
                          Thanks.
                          I'll look at the Presto site to see how many recordings there are to list (or not!) and launch a thread tomorrow!

Comment

With the time slot given as 10:30!!

Comment

With the time slot given as 10:30!!
                              Oops! Keep up lad - the programme does begin at 2pm! Never mind. I expect someone is looking in on the forum and will correct it tomorrow Would I be right in thinking this is one of the most savage alterations to R3's schedule in one go? Kill or cure?

Comment

Perhaps the putative reviewer has something better to do now at 3pm that day ?

Comment

Working...
                                X