Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Wow! I just wanted to quietly celebrate: this thread is like old times! I was beginning to think we'd never get properly going again)

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
      (Wow! I just wanted to quietly celebrate: this thread is like old times! I was beginning to think we'd never get properly going again)

No need to be in brackets!

Long live our discussions, regardless of what horrors befall us!

Comment

Nobody seems to mention the BPO/Rattle set these days.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I have the Levine/CSO set, which was in a cutout bin a few years ago at the CSO Symphony Storehaven’t listened in a while but I don’t remember very fondly. Wondering if you have contrasted it with the VPO version?
          I know you didn’t ask me, but I cited the Levine CSO Brahms 3 down thread and I chose it above his VPO. I rate both recordings very highly and they are fairly similar, but I find the beauty and clarity in the CSO strings, and the glorious brass, just that bit better than the VPO. I actually think the CSO is the better orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
            Any takers for Chailly/Gewandhausorchester? Received good reviews a few years ago.
            Yes I think my favourite recent set of the Brahms symphonies.

Comment

I am just going to listen to the 1954 Furtwangler.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                Any takers for Chailly/Gewandhausorchester? Received good reviews a few years ago.
                And it includes the original introduction to the Fourth Symphony. Absolutely marvellous.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  As someone with a great fondness for Levine's 1980s recording of Ma Vlast with the VPO I feel impelled to hear the Brahms 3, particularly in light of the encomiums lavished on it herein. However, is this a case of caveat emptor (auditor?) given various Gramophone reviewers' brickbats hurled at it. Take this review, from Jonathan Swain, for example:

"Excepting the startling Toscanini NBC-style subito mp in the sixth bar (and at a ll subsequent repeat points), the first movement is responsibly conducted. Levine makes the most of the inner movements' crescendoing string themes, and his accentuation guarantees a dramatic trombones' entry in the slow movement. I am grateful for the opportunity to have heard the finale as explosively conducted as this, but shan't be returning to it again." Or, then again, Robert Layton in the Quarterly Retrospect:

" I t is all crude and coarse - and, above all, lacking in any real personality. I was reminded of Edward Seckerson's remarks earlier in the year about Levine's Chicago Symphony Orchestra disc of the Prokofiev First and Fifth Symphonies (DG, 1/95), for they apply no less here: "thy expression is so generalized that these big, imposing, implacable sonorities fail to mean anything . . . he has got his foot down on the power; the characterization passes him by".
                  Yes, interesting, but I couldn’t disagree more about the Prokofiev disc, which is outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Forgotten quite how compelling it is . Fantastic finale in particular - went back and repeated the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                      As someone with a great fondness for Levine's 1980s recording of Ma Vlast with the VPO I feel impelled to hear the Brahms 3, particularly in light of the encomiums lavished on it herein.
                      That's interesting because I was thinking of extending my Levine DG collection by investing in that Ma Vlast - but then I remembered I had the same orchestra playing it under Harnoncourt on RCA/BMG - if anyone has both is it worth getting the Levine? I've already got his enjoyable Bartered Bride dances so I probably will get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        Somehow I found it a bit bland, not really sure why. I much prefer the Chailly (and Norrington LCP, but don’t tell anyone!)

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Do you value it, Alison? I had the box, but didn't keep it, as far as I remember because they just weren't memorable performances (I'm a Rattle enthusiast normally)

Comment

I think I've listened to it once! Superbly played and recorded, but somehow I've never wanted to hear it since.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post

I know you didn’t ask me, but I cited the Levine CSO Brahms 3 down thread and I chose it above his VPO. I rate both recordings very highly and they are fairly similar, but I find the beauty and clarity in the CSO strings, and the glorious brass, just that bit better than the VPO. I actually think the CSO is the better orchestra.
                              As a local I’ll drink to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                                …and I may be some time.

edit: oh good lord, the first three bars have a lifetime’s worth of so-wrong-it’s-right in them, eh?
                                Last edited by oliver sudden; 05-04-24, 17:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X