Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Nothing quite as good as full-fat Brahms, IMUV...
    ... o no, not for me!

If I can't have an astringent HIPP recording, this is what I wd prefer -

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      Looking forward to this. Will a Fawlty Towers reference slip in?
      I've called it Brahms's Third Racket for so long that anything's possible...

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

Apart from Norrington and Gardiner, are there are any other HIPP contenders?
        I wonder if Stokowski’s 1928 version is as close as we’ll get . Just over 40 years after the premiere with an orchestra that must have been full of European Emigres .

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I wonder if Stokowski’s 1928 version is as close as we’ll get . Just over 40 years after the premiere with an orchestra that must have been full of European Emigres .

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature...est-recordings
          That's a fascinating thought!

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Apologies, Micky, for my apostasy but Brahms symphonies are a blind spot where my devotion to HiPP falters. Nothing quite as good as full-fat Brahms, IMUV. I have Manze, Venzago and Dausgaard on my shelves (and Chailly) but none of them quite does it for me at the moment like Blomstedt and the wonderfully un-HiPP Gewandhaus Orchestra. I was brought up with Karl Böhm and the VPO on an Ace of Clubs LP (not that wonderful, really, but, aged 8, it sounded terrific to my rather unformed ears) so, in answer to your question, I'm not aware of anyone other than those you mentioned in your post.
            No apologies needed, Dougie, each to their own! But I will dig out my Gardiner version just out of interest, don't think I've listened to it since it came out.
            ​​​

Comment

That's a fascinating thought!
              The Osborne piece is well worth reading. Even in the twenties and thirties varying orchestral traditions - even orchestra size.

Comment

Apart from Norrington and Gardiner, are there are any other HIPP contenders?
                Didn’t Manze do the Brahms Symphonies with a Danish Period Orchestra? Or did they use modern instruments?

Comment

RO right I think to praise Alsop's Brahms recordings - I thought they were very good and especially her St Anthony Variations coupling - a work I had grown tired of but she gives it great lift.

Comment

Brahms 3 is a desert island disc for me and my favourite would be any one of about 25 in my collection that I happen to be listening to in the moment.

Having said that, my current go-tos in order of preference are:

Svetlanov, LSO live at the RFH April 1975 ica Classics
                    Levine, Chicago Symphony Orchestra Sony
                    Karajan BPO 1980s DG
                    Furtwangler BPO live 1954 Pristine Classical

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... which is often an excellent idea

I take your point, but when reading a book, the reader has a choice. When listening to a musical work, that choice is taken away.

I admit to having reread the first chapter of Pickwick Papers many times, but it hasn’t helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
                        Brahms 3 is a desert island disc for me and my favourite would be any one of about 25 in my collection that I happen to be listening to in the moment.

Levine, Chicago Symphony Orchestra Sony
                        Karajan BPO 1980s DG
                        Furtwangler BPO live 1954 Pristine Classical
                        Funny you should mention Svetlanov as I have a complete Brahms cycle from him. It's with the USSR State Symphony Orchestra and is included in the boxed set 'The Art of Yevgeny Svetlanov' on the Scribendum label. I have to confess that I've never played the Brahms from that box (there's some Beethoven and a Bruckner 8, too!) but given your highlighting maybe I should give them a go, despite the Soviet sonics likely being unwelcome in this repertoire.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post

I was at that concert – an amazing programme (Brahms, Chausson, Debussy). It's a shame the BBC Legends release didn't include the whole of Dame Janet's Chausson!

Comment

You probably know, Makropoulos, that Janet recorded the Chausson with Andre Previn for EMI. It's been on CD. Meanwhile,the Svetlanov performance is complete on You Tube.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                              You probably know, Makropoulos, that Janet recorded the Chausson with Andre Previn for EMI. It's been on CD. Meanwhile,the Svetlanov performance is complete on You Tube.
                              Thanks very much for pointing out the YouTube complete performance. That's a very happy surprise! Yes, I have Janet's record with Previn – but for nostalgia's sake it would be good to hear the Chausson with Svetlanov. That's one to save up for tomorrow as I'm just off to Oxford now to see the magnificent WNO Death in Venice for a second time...(and to do a little talk about it beforehand).

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

Thanks very much for pointing out the YouTube complete performance. That's a very happy surprise! Yes, I have Janet's record with Previn – but for nostalgia's sake it would be good to hear the Chausson with Svetlanov. That's one to save up for tomorrow as I'm just off to Oxford now to see the magnificent WNO Death in Venice for a second time...(and to do a little talk about it beforehand).
                                Envy emoticon.
                                Our nearest venue is Birmingham, and that would involve an overnight hotel stay for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X