• Show
Clear All

The website has been updated:

Recommended Version:
    London Philharmonic Orchestra
    Eugen Jochum (conductor)
    Warner Classics 5695152

Comment

I am listening to the Jochum and enjoying it immensely but is it my imagination or is there some splendidly un-Brahmsian harmony in the first movement around the 9’ mark?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
        I am listening to the Jochum and enjoying it immensely but is it my imagination or is there some splendidly un-Brahmsian harmony in the first movement around the 9’ mark?
        Absolutely right! Just had a listen with score: the bassoons get one bar ahead (one bar after letter I in the Dover score), and valiantly keep going for the whole bar…

Comment

I knew I had this cd but couldn’t find it until the cat knocked over a pile of CDs in my back bedroom and there it was!

Wow, that’s a blistering last movement!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            I knew I had this cd but couldn’t find it until the cat knocked over a pile of CDs in my back bedroom and there it was!
            Well done Puss!

Comment

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post

Well done Puss!
              The set I have has only the first three symphonies with the fourth being on a separate twofer containing the Deutsche Requiem. I look on eBay to find there’s a Japanese issue of the fourth at £41!

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post
                My thanks to makropulos for another excellent job!
                Yes indeed, I just listened to it and enjoyed / learnt a lot!

I love how Nigel seems to be able to transcend the limitations of the programme in its current format, seamlessly blending classic performances with newer ones (and brushing past the apparently obligatory AMcG niggles about historic recordings - I couldn’t hear any ‘acidic’ oboes in the first Walter extract… and I went back and listened three times), deftly putting the work and performers in context with a judicious dose of technical musical info (e.g. the exposition repeat issue).

Top job and plenty of listening to follow up (I’d never heard the Jochum/LPO)
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Yes I listened to the Chailly/Leipzig version last night. Thrilling!

Comment

Working...
                  X