Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I had somehow missed this thread until just now when I made a search for "Sofronitsky" after ordering the Mozart set via amazon.co.uk for £27.29 including p&p (being careful to avoid the somewhat cheaper offerings from the other side of the Pond (which wold almost certainly have attract hefty customs fees). Though I already have the Immerseel and Bilson sets, this one does look particularly attractive.
    I think you will like it. I believe Viviana Sofronitsky is also Mrs Paul McNulty, so the fortepiano she uses is in tip-top condition...

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Wasn'tit Perahia who was so fussy about one of his recordings he kept the other musicians in the studio half through the night to do retakes?
      It was the Mozart quintet for piano and winds I think - ask waldhorn! <winking smiley>*

*My smilies don't seem to work today
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Howard Shelley. London Mozart Players. Excellent recording, wonderful, emotive playing, preciosity eschewed. Often available as bargain s/h via Amazon market place. Be warned - you'll want more once you've sampled his Mozart piano concertos.

EDIT: I appear to have confused 17 and 27. Oh well. It's still a worthwhile purchase.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-10-12, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I had somehow missed this thread until just now when I made a search for "Sofronitsky" after ordering the Mozart set via amazon.co.uk for £27.29 including p&p (being careful to avoid the somewhat cheaper offerings from the other side of the Pond (which wold almost certainly have attract hefty customs fees). Though I already have the Immerseel and Bilson sets, this one does look particularly attractive.
          Also due out any minute (if it isn't out already) and of potential interest I guess: Brautigam (fortepiano), Kölner Akademie cond. Willens on BIS 1944 (SACD) coupled with K537.
          It's here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Conce...9881826&sr=8-1

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            Also due out any minute (if it isn't out already) and of potential interest I guess: Brautigam (fortepiano), Kölner Akademie cond. Willens on BIS 1944 (SACD) coupled with K537.
            I've had it on 'pre-order' from MDT since a week ago. Theirs was the best price I could find.

Comment

Brautigam's 24 is a gem, although the fortepiano sound is slightly less appealing than in his Mozart piano sonatas for BIS, where the sound is a real revelation. Still, it's far more sonically pleasing than the fortepianos used for his Beethoven sonatas.

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                Brautigam ... the fortepiano sound is slightly less appealing than in his Mozart piano sonatas for BIS, where the sound is a real revelation. Still, it's far more sonically pleasing than the fortepianos used for his Beethoven sonatas.
                Interesting. For me I find Brautigam's fortepiano sound on the Mozart rather samey and, after a time, uninteresting; for me, the revelation has been the fortepianos on his Beethoven series...

Comment

Odd. It's still on pre-order at Amazon, yet you can hear it on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/track/6aGkD0MqIBYgLVeZBGTzCE

I suppose you can at least decide whether to go for it - and hopefully save a few ££, or alternatively not and save even more £££. Curious sound that instrument has - not unpleasant, at least in small doses.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Interesting. For me I find Brautigam's fortepiano sound on the Mozart rather samey and, after a time, uninteresting; for me, the revelation has been the fortepianos on his Beethoven series...
                    I agree!

So when are they being put into a box at a lower price please?

Cheapskate of Willesden Green

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I agree!

Absolutely...I have long wanted a complete box of the Beethoven sonatas on fortepianos, and have been watching the Brautigam series with interest. I wonder what a reissue of the old Malcolm Binns L'Oiseau Lyre set would be like? They sadly gather dust up in my attic cupboard - how would they compare now?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I agree!

You'll have to wait at least until he finishes off all the other Beethoven piano works. Apart from anything else there's the Diabellis to come yet. Bet your life when a box does come out its Red Book only, not SACD.

Now what I'm still hoping for is a CD release of the whole of the Malcolm Binns Beethoven sonata survey on instruments from the Colt Collection.

Comment

I had a copy of the Bilson/Gardiner and frankly hated it . Terribly tinkly .

Perahia and Pires for me in this wonderful piece.

Comment

Working...
                          X