Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In light of the all the comments as to the short nature of the shortlist I thought I would go back to the last recorded solo BAL on a Mahler symphony - which was Stephen Johnson in Mahler 7 .

He compared 14 recordings.

Tennstedt
    Abbado ( Berlin)
    Haitink - 2nd recording
    Bernstein CBS and DG
    Dudamel
    Rattle
    Zinman
    Klemperer
    Halasz
    Nott
    Gergiev
    Solti
    Kubelik-live
    Last edited by Barbirollians; 18-11-19, 18:59. Reason: Correcting auto correct

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      In light of the all the comments as to the short nature of the shortlist I thought I would go back to the last recorded solo BAL on a Mahler symphony - which was Stephen Johnson in Mahler 7 .

He compared 14 recordings.

Tennstedt
      Abbado ( Berlin)
      Haitink - 2nd recording
      Bernstein CBS and DG
      Dudamel
      Rattle
      Zinman
      Klemperer
      Halasz
      Note
      Gergiev
      Solti
      Kubelik-live
      What, not Berlin Gielen (Testament)?

Comment

So coverage has halved. The time allowed has remained the same, so even allowing for the time wasted by AMcG's unnecessary interventions, we must be hearing a lot more from the chosen few.

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
          So coverage has halved. The time allowed has remained the same, so even allowing for the time wasted by AMcG's unnecessary interventions, we must be hearing a lot more from the chosen few.
          Doesn’t seem like that though!

Comment

Not sure Goon that is correct . The Mahler 7 podcast is 52 minutes and we are told that the excerpts of music are shorter for copyright reasons . If the Mahler 3 was only 45 minutes then that is less than the near hour SJ was allowed in 2018. As for Mr McGregor his interventions require not only exposition from the expert but an answer so I suspect that the expert is saying less in substance but taking longer to do so.

Comment

Equally importantly, traditional reviewers presumably have the opportunity to edit and refine their comments significantly reducing 'waffle'.

Comment

Having listened to Tony Duggan's recommendation of WDR Köln/Bychkov, I fell that this is emphatically miles away from my ideal GM3. Tempi are on the sluggish side, & although we get "all the notes in the correct order", the whole effect is mechanical. A sense of flow is often absent, & despite some impressive playing from the orchestra, I feel they're rather colourless -- lacking in character & essential fire, or any sense that this piece should involve an element of enjoyment. For Bryn's information, conductor and oboist observe the hinaufziehen marking in movt 4....

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Edward Seckerson did the Mahler 3 BaL on 17th November 2007 (in onefer days presumably). I can't remember but probably listened. His first choice was: Concertgebouw Orchestra, Riccardo Chailly/Petra Lang, which I don't think I've heard. I shall leap to Spotify at some point.
                  "Budget Choice" was Bernstein/NYPO with Martha Lipton, which I do know from the big Bernstein Symphonies box.
                  Prior to that, Michael Kennedy did Mahler 3 on 6 February 1993. Kubelik was first choice and Horenstein 2nd. I remember being annoyed at the time because the Kubelik was only available in a 10-CD mid-price box costing around £60 - amazing how much cheaper CDs are these days; it now costs about £25. I still have the Kubelik box but the sound just isn’t good enough to be a 1st choice now.

Comment

Jessye Norman was undoubtedly excellent in the Abbado recording that came out on top, but I fail to understand how you can assess an entire symphony - especially one as long and involved as Mahler's 3rd - on the basis of a performer who really isn't featured for very long. Different if it were DLvDE or possibly the 8th, but not the 3rd.
                    Given the number of M3 recordings available out there, I felt this was a wasted opportunity which looked at a handful of big names and ignored everything else.

Comment

I have been listening this morning to the live Mitropoulos recording from Cologne in 1960 and enjoyed it immensely only to read in the booklet note that he had a heart attack conducting the first movement but insisted on continuing sitting in a chair and died rehearsing the same piece at La Scala two days later .

You would have no idea from the recording but a very sad tale.

Comment

I have been listening this morning to the live Mitropoulos recording from Cologne in 1960 and enjoyed it immensely only to read in the booklet note that he had a heart attack conducting the first movement but insisted on continuing sitting in a chair and died rehearsing the same piece at La Scala two days later .

Suggests the orchestra were well acquainted with the work and Dmitri’s style.

Comment

Good Grief. I had read a biography of Mitropolous years back but had forgotten that. Last night I was looking for the winner of this BAL but couldn’t find it

Comment

Apparently not with the work but he had been conducting in Cologne quite a lot . The mezzo was Lucretia West - what a lovely voice and the internet seems to suggest she is still with us at the age of 99 and was also famous for her singing of spirituals.

Though I think Mitropoulos’s Mahler 6 that RO rated so highly in EMI’s great conductors series was also live in Cologne.

Comment

I've never grown tired of the Horenstein/LSO version. Spectaculour recording too!

Comment

Apparently not with the work but he had been conducting in Cologne quite a lot . The mezzo was Lucretia West - what a lovely voice and the internet seems to suggest she is still with us at the age of 99 and was also famous for her singing of spirituals.

Though I think Mitropoulos’s Mahler 6 that RO rated so highly in EMI’s great conductors series was also live in Cologne.
                                Live Studio Recording, Klaus-von-Bismarck Saal, WDR, Cologne, 31 August 1959. There is another (1955) live recording with Mitropoulos conducting the NYPO in the Profil Gustav Mahler edition box

Comment

Working...
                                X