Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrrecting this thread to draw attention to a new release that pastoralguy praised yesterday (and which praise I'd endorse, having listened just now).

Stravinsky: Violin Concerto, Scherzo a la russe, Apollon musagete & Orchestral Suites Nos. 1 & 2. Chandos: CHSA5340. Buy SACD or download online. James Ehnes (violin), BBC Philharmonic, Sir Andrew Davis

I'd be interested to hear what makropulos thinks of it.

Comment

I was interested to see that, as I had never heard Sir Andrew conduct Stravinsky until I heard him do the Symphony in C on Radio 3 a couple of years ago.

Apart from the classic Stern recording, I'd recommend Jennifer Frautschi and Robert Craft on Naxos.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        I was interested to see that, as I had never heard Sir Andrew conduct Stravinsky until I heard him do the Symphony in C on Radio 3 a couple of years ago.

Apart from the classic Stern recording, I'd recommend Jennifer Frautschi and Robert Craft on Naxos.
        I hadn't thought of him as a Stravinsky conductor, but his previous/recent Chandos release is also fine.
        Igor Stravinsky: Symphony in C & Symphony in Three Movements. Chandos: CHSA5315. Buy SACD or download online. BBC Philharmonic, Sir Andrew Davis

I wonder what else is planned?

There's a BBD MM CD with him conducting the Symphony of Psalms which I must dig out and listen to again.
        BBCSO and Chorus, Barbican, 1 April 2001.

Comment

It's interesting when a conductor turns to something new late in his career: Boulez/Janacek, Colin Davis /Nielsen, etc.

Comment

Another new release featuring this concerto, out today:

Igor Stravinsky, Bartók & Martinů. BIS: BIS2657. Buy SACD or download online. Frank Peter Zimmermann (violin), Bamberger Symphoniker, Jakub Hrůša

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Another new release featuring this concerto, out today:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...-bartok-martin
              Very much looking forward to hearing this and the recent Ehnes/Andrew Davis one. Both look extremely tempting!

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

Very much looking forward to hearing this and the recent Ehnes/Andrew Davis one. Both look extremely tempting!
                They are! Just streaming the Zimmermann now.
                Particularly pleased that in both performances the oboe countermelody at figure 14 in the first movement (though admittedly it's supposed to be sempre pp) is clearly audible; one of my favourite bits!

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post

They are going to have to go some to surpass the Frang of recent recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

To be honest, I think they succeed, JUST, in trumping the wonderful Ms. Frang but only because I can hear so much detail in the orchestral score. (And I write as someone who got a birthday card from Ms. Frang! )

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Having heard her play the DSCH concerto No.1 with the LSO last February I really hope she records it soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X