Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks to Pulcinella for permission to relocate his recent Summer BaL to fill this slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I have been impressed with the Dausgaard, which you recommended; listened to it again yesterday.
      Nice CD cover too. Got that recording lined up for a listen , hopefully tonight.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Nice CD cover too. Got that recording lined up for a listen , hopefully tonight.
        What did you think?
        I streamed it this morning and remained very impressed.
        I'd be happy for it to 'win'.

Comment

Bumping the thread in preparation for Saturday's programme (which I'll miss because I'm singing in a concert at lunchtime): any more thoughts since our Summer discussion?

Comment

Who is the library chooser ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Who is the library chooser ?
              Ah: because Alpie just transferred the Summer BaL thread over, he didn't include the BBC blurb.

10.30 am
              Building a Library

Kate Molleson chooses her favourite recording of Béla Bartók's The Miraculous Mandarin.

Three lowlifes force a beautiful woman to lure men into their seedy city den so they can rob them. The third of their victims is a Chinese Mandarin and the woman dances for him. The woman is repelled by the lust she has aroused in the Mandarin and the three thugs repeatedly attempt to kill him. But the Mandarin continues to stare longingly at the woman. Only when she has satisfied his desires does the Mandarin finally die.

With its lurid Expressionist scenario and tawdry urban setting, Bartók's 1919 ballet scandalised the audience at its 1927 premiere and it was closed by the authorities after its first performance. But now, with its dazzling orchestration and satisfying dramatic arc, the score has long been properly regarded as some of Bartók's finest music.

Comment

While I might nit-pick about some of the orchestral ensemble not quite being up to LSO (Abbado) or VPO (Dohnányi) standard, it has great energy. Good if not stellar typical BBC City Halls recording. Dausgaard pretty much doesn't put a foot wrong, interpretation-wise. Given that it's Kate Molleson, I'd be very surprised if it isn't one of the chosen versions. Has this work ever had a sub-fusc recording? It also reminds me of the fine work which this combination of conductor and orchestra produced both in concerts which I attended and also on the radio. A great shame that it ended on a what always seemed like a less than harmonious note.

Comment

A work that's only been covered by BaL twice before. Previous choices:

Jonathan Swain (February 94): LSO/Abbado for the complete ballet and Chicago SO/Solti for the suite. Neeme Järvi was 2nd choice for the complete ballet
                  Rob Cowan (October 2008): Budapest FO/Fischer

Comment

No change there then. Pretty predictable outcome, with both previous winners in the final three. (That’s not a criticism, by the way, probably justifiable choice.)

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
                      No change there then. Pretty predictable outcome, with both previous winners in the final three. (That’s not a criticism, by the way, probably justifiable choice.)
                      I missed the broadcast (singing in a lunchtime concert so had to get into a tourist-ridden city centre in good time).

Kate's choice:
                      Hungarian Radio Chorus
                      Budapest Festival Orchestra/Iván Fischer
                      Philips 4761799​

Comment

Oh well, Kate M completely ignored the home team in Glasgow - mind you, she lives in Edinburgh so it wouldn't do to be choosing a weegie-based issue. Joking apart, I rather enjoyed this BaL. Marmite or not to others, the conversational format worked for me this morning. The three "finalists", as Goon 525 has already said, were no surprise but, given the quality of all three, one would hardly complain about the choice. That series of Bartók recordings which Fischer made for Philips is one of the joys of the catalogue. I'd never heard the Rattle before and was sufficiently impressed to shell out £3.55 (P&P included) for a used copy.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Oh well, Kate M completely ignored the home team in Glasgow - mind you, she lives in Edinburgh so it wouldn't do to be choosing a weegie-based issue. Joking apart, I rather enjoyed this BaL. Marmite or not to others, the conversational format worked for me this morning. The three "finalists", as Goon 525 has already said, were no surprise but, given the quality of all three, one would hardly complain about the choice. That series of Bartók recordings which Fischer made for Philips is one of the joys of the catalogue. I'd never heard the Rattle before and was sufficiently impressed to shell out £3.55 (P&P included) for a used copy.
                          I very much enjoyed the BAL and also, shamefully, my first exposure to the work ……..

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

I very much enjoyed the BAL and also, shamefully, my first exposure to the work ……..
                            I was living in Detroit when the Dorati/DSO record was released, and I didn’t know the work at all. That recording really made an impression on me but I can see where I would have missed getting to know the work entirely if not for that circumstance.

Comment

Abbado still sounded best to me.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

I think I heard Boulez conduct it once with BBCSO. Then, I rather thought the scenario behind it was rather repulsive, and have avoided it. Do others not have this problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X