Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    How did the Quartetto Italiano get on ? Were they even mentioned ?
    I don't think so - or the Juilliard.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Italian Quartet were mentioned (very swiftly then dismissed). On the subject of access to the recording - am not sure why the CD review web-site lists the Amadeus version as unavailable when it's on itunes for £5.49. Not sure I'll be buying it though. I like my recordings of the Leipziger String Quartet and the Lindsays.

Comment

Italian Quartet were mentioned (very swiftly then dismissed).
          I have the Quartetto Italiano version and think it very good, though surpassed by their recording of the last quartet D887 (which was also casually dismissed in the BaL of that recently). I didn't hear this BaL - which were the eventual 'winners'?

Comment

The second Amadeus and the Busch.

Comment

Two points.
              I am always surprised at the advocacy the Lindsays receive on this website. I have heard such atrocious intonation from them in performance and even on CD that I could never contemplate buying any of their discs. No amount of emotional weight makes up for that flaw, in my opinion. (And I was generally surprised that critics rarely mentioned poor intonation in their reviews.)
              As I listened to the extracts from the Amadeus Quartet's version last Saturday, I was surprised at the full, creamy, almost treacly tone that the quartet produced. I found it quite attractive in itself. It is a long time since I heard any Amadeus performances, and I cannot remember them having this characteristic when I did hear them thirty and more years ago. Was it the recording, I wonder.
              Just for your consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
                Two points.
                I am always surprised at the advocacy the Lindsays receive on this website. I have heard such atrocious intonation from them in performance and even on CD that I could never contemplate buying any of their discs.
                For myself, I can never understand the importance given to perfect intonation. How do you find the Busch recordings?

Comment

You can find my version of the Busch Quartets recording of "Death and the Maiden" here

Comment

Thank you very much Mr Heath for access to your splendid cliveheathmusic site.
                    I too cannot live with the Lindsays, I actually find their recordings painful to listen to.

Comment

I have two recordings of this; the Melos (DG) from the complete Schubert SQs, and the Henschells.

I am particularly fond of the Melos's performance. They seem to have exactly the right balance between technique, style, and dare I say it, a little swagger in their step. I'm more than happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                        Italian Quartet were mentioned (very swiftly then dismissed). On the subject of access to the recording - am not sure why the CD review web-site lists the Amadeus version as unavailable when it's on itunes for £5.49. Not sure I'll be buying it though. I like my recordings of the Leipziger String Quartet and the Lindsays.
                        The (an?) Amadeus recording of Death and the Maiden, along with The Trout (someone called Gilels on piano) may be had, on CD, from hmv.com for a mere £3.97 including p&p:

Comment

I ordered the Amadeus disc from hmv.com yesterday. Just had an email confirming dispatch.

It would appear that since I ordered my copy yesterday, the price on the page I linked to (and which I paid) has more than doubled. A better deal can now be found at amazon.co.uk.

Comment

I have two or three recprdings of this great Schubert compsitiuon. Iwill be looking forward to this BaL!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              I have two or three recprdings of this great Schubert compsitiuon. Iwill be looking forward to this BaL!
                              You need to pop to the i-Player before Saturday, Bbm: it was broadcast last Saturday!

(Incidentally, if you do miss it, don't grieve too much: it wasn't the best BaL ever.)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Well at least they were mentioned - unlike when the Debussy Quartet was last in BAL . Which I found astounding.

Just played the old VPO Quartet record again - a marvellous performance that lets the music speak for itself without any heavy overdoing of the grim nature of the work . Coupled on Eloquence for pennies with the legendary Curzon/Vienna Octet Trout a bargain of bargains

Comment

Working...
                                X