Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thin k that's it, in a nutshell, with the Chandos RSNO/Jaarvi MickyD. the ratherrich resonant recording of that peformance.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Do I take it that you like it as much as I do, BBM?

Comment

Yes I do MickyD!!

N/s Patrons' Choice V. Foden's Band, Michael Knowles.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Many thanks for all the recommendations & discussions of the Rattle: I fortunately remembered them when I came across a nice cheap copy in a local charity shop. Have just cleaned my ears out - and cracked a few windows - with it since my family are away watching the Olympic marathon from street level

As regards the recording, 'recessed' was not a word that came immediately to mind...loved it, and the performances.
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Anyone heard the raved about in BBCMM and IRR recent Alsop on Naxos ?

Comment

I will take that as a No

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                Anyone heard the raved about in BBCMM and IRR recent Alsop on Naxos ?
                I bought it and - rather regretted it...

It does indeed show "culture and refinement" but lacks punch, drama, jazz and pizazz... I'm surprised that the IRR reviewer found the recorded SQ so outstanding, as it certainly doesn't equal Kitajenko for power & precision or Rattle for timbral subtelety.

As it happens the forum-ignored Gramophone had the balanced view, Edward Seckerson finding the SQ emphasising a homogenised "widescreen" depth and breadth over immediacy, and the performance merely VG rather than Ex., due to "temperamental" i.e emotional shortcomings. (The Gramophone is hugely improved under Cullingford, shame that the vivid (or lurid, depending on taste) 1812 August cover put so many of you off, as it belied an outstanding article on the piece by Geoffrey Norris... and a succession of Collection pieces on Haydn 92, Albeniz Iberia, Delius Sea Drift and Schumann 3 have been a great read. More and better features generally...)

For me, Alsop's Prok 5 just doesn't characterise the music, whether in the wildly tragic defiance of the adagio or those jazzy (that word again) wind solos of the marcato, nearly vividly enough. It's too straight and literal, just the right notes in the right order, doesn't tell the story.

Comment

Cheers Jayne . One to leave I think . BBCMM and IRR both raved about it .

I have picked up the latest Gramophone as I am on a late train from London and it has improved there is no doubt.

IRR has become more inconsistent and I find some of the US based reviewers and I have very different tastes . I don't like Michael Jameson's writing and very seldom agree withhim and Robert Matthew Walker has hit the stratosphere of pomposity IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                  X