• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Alpie: We're still waiting for your assessment of the BBC MM CD.
    I only bought it yesterday, and it's still wrapped in cellophane.

I'm a bit nervous about expressing an opinion, now that I appear to have become viewed as an authority on performances of the work. Remember, I don't have a particularly high opinion of the Karajan, so perhaps I should be booed out of court.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Each to their own Alpie I didn't like the BaL choice of the Janacek, but others did!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Alpie: We're still waiting for your assessment of the BBC MM CD.
        Today I was driving home (from the tip) and switched on Radio 3. I was pleasantly surprised to hear most of a fine performance of Eine Alpensinfonie, but I was listening "blind". The more I listened, the more I thought "simply superb". It was only at the end that I discovered it was the performance featured on the BBC Music Magazine CD (STILL in its cellophane wrapper). I didn't hear the opening minutes, but most conductors do a fine job there. When I do listen to the CD, I suspect it will make its way into the top tier, but we'll see.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Today I was driving home (from the tip) and switched on Radio 3. I was pleasantly surprised to hear most of a fine performance of Eine Alpensinfonie, but I was listening "blind". The more I listened, the more I thought "simply superb". It was only at the end that I discovered it was the performance featured on the BBC Music Magazine CD (STILL in its cellophane wrapper). I didn't hear the opening minutes, but most conductors do a fine job there. When I do listen to the CD, I suspect it will make its way into the top tier, but we'll see.
          It'll be interesting to have your learned thoughts on second listening....

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Perhaps one for Pedants's Paradise, but I noticed this in October's BBC Music Magazine:

R STRAUSS An Alpine Symphony
            Saito Kinen Orchestra/Daniel Harding

'I was blown away the first time I went to the Salzburg Festival. I had to sit right at the back and I had a view of an enormous orchestra. I was fascinated by all the unusual instruments in the Alpine Symphony, such as alphorns and cowbells.'

I suspect the writer, Dame Vivien Duffield, wasn't paying enough attention, and got her alphorn idea from Gerard Huffnung.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

She ought to be Heckeled!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                She ought to be Heckeled!
                I see that Hugo Shirley has covered this in Gramphone very recently for their Collection feature . The Late Karajan won .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Is there an early Karajan?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Is there an early Karajan?
                    The "Sunrise" section?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

No idea EA- he recorded some other Richard Strauss more than once so I was covering my back in case there was a 1956 Decca or the like I had not heard of .

Did you read the article ? If so did his views tally with your own otherwise ?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I didn't see it. Indeed, I wasn't aware of it. But it's unlikely we'd ever agree, as Karajan's CD recording is one I wouldn't recommend, because of some poor tuning, oppressive recording and an off-stage band that is much too close. His DVD version is much better. Maybe that's the "late" one.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I've managed to get hold of a copy at last. I was surprised at just how much I was in agreement with Hugo Shirley.
                          I have a much higher opinion of the Schuricht, but agree about the considerable merits of Knappertsbusch, the weakness of Konwitschny. Moving to the stereo era, he shares my admiration for RPO/Kempe & Conertgebouw/Haitink, and the dullness of Mehta and Andrew Davis. I think more highly than Mr Shirley of the Barenboim and Ozawa, but we agree on the three Thielemann recordings and São Paulo/Shipway. As for the top choice - Karajan - I still can't go along with a version so tastelessly balanced, but I seem to be in the minority.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

I've managed to get hold of a copy at last. I was surprised at just how much I was in agreement with Hugo Shirley.
                            I have a much higher opinion of the Schuricht, but agree about the considerable merits of Knappertsbusch, the weakness of Konwitschny. Moving to the stereo era, he shares my admiration for RPO/Kempe & Conertgebouw/Haitink, and the dullness of Mehta and Andrew Davis. I think more highly than Mr Shirley of the Barenboim and Ozawa, but we agree on the three Thielemann recordings and São Paulo/Shipway. As for the top choice - Karajan - I still can't go along with a version so tastelessly balanced, but I seem to be in the minority.
                            For the same reason, may I join you in your minority?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              For the same reason, may I join you in your minority?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

I am impressed by this BBCMM recording with the BBcSO and Bychkov - very well played and a real sense of the adventure of the piece about it .

Comment

Working...
                                X