Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must have been blind for many years. I've MISSED a recording of this work that's been available for many years: Gewandhausorchester Leipzig/Kurt Masur.

There's one new copy available on Amazon for £275.62, so I've settled for a (still a bit pricey) used one.

How could I have missed this? Masur's French National Orchestra is one I rated in the second of four tiers, a while ago, so I'm quite optimistic about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I must have been blind for many years. I've MISSED a recording of this work that's been available for many years: Gewandhausorchester Leipzig/Kurt Masur.

There's one new copy available on Amazon for £275.62, so I've settled for a (still a bit pricey) used one.

How could I have missed this? Masur's French National Orchestra is one I rated in the second of four tiers, a while ago, so I'm quite optimistic about this one.
      Let me know how the Bruch Violin Concerto part turns out

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        I am impressed by this BBCMM recording with the BBcSO and Bychkov - very well played and a real sense of the adventure of the piece about it .
        Not sure we ever got Alpie’s full verdict on the BBCMM Bychkov.

A highly impressive performance imho.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Let me know how the Bruch Violin Concerto part turns out
          It's funny how people remark on this similarity (including Strauss himself), yet ignore the equally obvious reference to the coda of the finale of Beethoven's 5th Symphony, which is almost identical to Strauss's "climbing" theme, first heard in the Ascent section.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Not sure we ever got Alpie’s full verdict on the BBCMM Bychkov.

A highly impressive performance imho.

Comment

The Gewandhaus/Masur has arrived and seems to be worth the outlay. It reminds me very much of the Bohm recordings, placing the work very much in the German symphonic tradition. At first, this disappointed me, because I found Bohm's recordings rather dull. But Masur's reading is anything but dull. The recorded sounded is quite superb, whereas Bohm's recordings were made in the mono era, but Schuricht's reading was also in mono, but is in the top bracket nevertheless; and Mehta's top-drawer Decca sound was still dull.

I think Masur's reading may well be one for my top tier, but I shall decided on that later.

Perhaps the best way of summarising this reading is to say it is the performance that Karl Bohm could have and should have done: symphonic, but with drive and flare.

Comment

A little OT, but just to say that Bernard Haitink is conducting the Alpensinfonie at the Royal College on 1st and 2nd Feb. Per the RCM "Although these concerts have now sold out, you can watch the performance live online on 2 February at 7.30pm at www.rcm.ac.uk/live."

www.rcm.ac.uk/live

Comment

A new recording coming up, from the Melbourne SO, conducted by Sir Andrew Davis. I'm not holding my breath, as I found Sir A's earlier recording to be one of the dullest of all. However, some conductors have made considerable advances on rerecording this work - Ashkenazy for one; but with others, such as Mehta and Hans W-M, there's little difference.

Comment

A new recording coming up, from the Melbourne SO, conducted by Sir Andrew Davis. I'm not holding my breath, as I found Sir A's earlier recording to be one of the dullest of all. However, some conductors have made considerable advances on rerecording this work - Ashkenazy for one; but with others, such as Mehta and Hans W-M, there's little difference.
                    Definitely not holding my breath! Sir Andrew is much to be admired in some repertoire but not his piece surely.

Chandos should get a new SACD recording of Eclairs sur l’au-dela in their catalogue!
                    Last edited by Alison; 04-03-18, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Definitely not holding my breath! Sir Andrew is much to be admired in some repertoire but not his piece surely.

Chandos should get a new SACD recording of Eclairs sur l’au-dela in their catalogue!
                      Quite agree and Sir Andrew or Edward Gardner be very good hear, imo.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I do wonder why so many recordings are made of this hugely expensive work. In the case of live recordings, it makes sense, because it can be a way to recoup costs. But to make yet another studio recording ...

Not that I'm complaining.

Comment

It remains an endlessly fascinating work which never goes stale.

Comment

Three new CDs came through my letterbox yesterday, which puts the total up to 98 versions (including two cheats - off-air recordings). The ton beckons and I know of two further versions that are now available.

Comment

When you reach the ton you must give us your current assessment of recommended versions
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Three new CDs came through my letterbox yesterday, which puts the total up to 98 versions (including two cheats - off-air recordings). The ton beckons and I know of two further versions that are now available.
                                Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,

I'm sure must have stated this previously but please will you indulge me with your view. If you had to take just one account of An Alpine Symphony to a desert island which one would it be?

Mine would be Staatskapelle Dresden, Rudolf Kempe from 1971 at Lukaskirche, Dresden on EMI.

Comment

Working...
                                X