Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something a bit different. A horn-playing friend attended a week’s residential summer school in St Jean de Luz, which featured a ‘prestige concert’ by a crack team of brass players, “Cuivres en Pays Basque”... which featured a brass arrangement of Eine Alpensinfonie. I was given to understand that it was an arrangement done for the group (I’d be interested to know if in fact it’s wider-known).

The performance has recently been shared on YouTube:

I wonder in particular what Alpie and BBM think!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Something a bit different. A horn-playing friend attended a week’s residential summer school in St Jean de Luz, which featured a ‘prestige concert’ by a crack team of brass players, “Cuivres en Pays Basque”... which featured a brass arrangement of Eine Alpensinfonie. I was given to understand that it was an arrangement done for the group (I’d be interested to know if in fact it’s wider-known).

The performance has recently been shared on YouTube:

I wonder in particular what Alpie and BBM think!
      This sounds great, Cal! Look at that tuba mute! I’ve laced music that required these. Very weird but this sounds fantastic!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Alpie, what do you think the echoing/descending flute and E-flat clarinet (& downwards through the woodwind) shriek represents? It happens on the Alpine Pasture just before #57 on the score and repeats rather more softly at #142, just before night sets in.

An eagle?

I listened again to that joint Hallé & BBC Phil performance the other day while tackling the not-so-Alpine Woodhead Pass. What an event that concert was!
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          If Alpie put all of his recordings in a pile he may have his own mountain to scale. Here is hoping that you find lodgings soon
          I've found a new home now, and I've got the CDs back too, so I'm hoping to finish my reviews of all 104 recordings.

Originally posted by Flay
          Alpie, what do you think the echoing/descending flute and E-flat clarinet (& downwards through the woodwind) shriek represents? It happens on the Alpine Pasture just before #57 on the score and repeats rather more softly at #142, just before night sets in.

An eagle?

I listened again to that joint Hallé & BBC Phil performance the other day while tackling the not-so-Alpine Woodhead Pass. What an event that concert was!
          It was indeed, but I neither heard nor saw a wind machine amongst the vast array of instruments.

Re the descending high woodwinds, I really don't know, and it's rather incongruous when it recurs near the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I've found a new home now, and I've got the CDs back too, so I'm hoping to finish my reviews of all 104 recordings.
            That's good. I was going to ask if it was a downsize, but you probably needed a bigger house to accommodate your ever-expanding collection

Re the descending high woodwinds, I really don't know, and it's rather incongruous when it recurs near the end.
            I cannot see anyone mentioning this descending phrase in the literature, which is odd as it is so prominent. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what it may represent?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              I cannot see anyone mentioning this descending phrase in the literature, which is odd as it is so prominent. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what it may represent?
              A goat falling off a cliff?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                A goat falling off a cliff?
                Or Julie Andrews perhaps?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I've been watching/listening to the Residentie Orchestra Den Hague; Neeme Järvi DVD performance. It's an antidote to the Philharmonia/Maazel 67 minute performance, in that it's rushed through in only 41 minutes, 39 seconds, which is more or less the same as Oskar Fried's pioneering 1925 recording. I don't think this work should be rushed, which is why I've slated the two recordings by Franz Welser-Möst. But Järvi does present a reasonable case for a brisk approach.

There's a new recording out this week by Vasily Petrenko and the Oslo Philharmonic. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Comment

Wait for it... (with apologies to Alpie)
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

There's a recording posted on Wikipedia that I've never been able to locate (or even be sure that it's an official release) - that by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Choo Hoey. But this photo has convinced me of its existence, and Iwould like to buy a copy if possible. So if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.

Comment

Downloading as I type - and with Vladimir Jurowski very much in mind in view of last night's Prom - his new recording (on Pentatone) of 'Eine Alpensinfonie' with the Berlin RSO. Recorded in the Berlin Konzerthaus on 22nd and 24th February 2019. We will await EA's considered judgement in due course of where it sits in the great pantheon of many. many recordings

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Downloading as I type - and with Vladimir Jurowski very much in mind in view of last night's Prom - his new recording (on Pentatone) of 'Eine Alpensinfonie' with the Berlin RSO. Recorded in the Berlin Konzerthaus on 22nd and 24th February 2019. We will await EA's considered judgement in due course of where it sits in the great pantheon of many. many recordings
                          It's billed as Record of the Week on Record Review tomorrow morning.

Comment

Many thanks. SACD now ordered.

This is the 3rd Jurowski version.

Comment

Originally posted by Wychwood View Post
                              It's billed as Record of the Week on Record Review tomorrow morning.
                              I await it with eager anticipation. As it’s being fitted into a 20 minute slot, I’m wondering which bleeding chunk will be selected.

Comment

On now sounding good - I shall be listening on Qubuz later to the complete performance as part of my regular Saturday afternoon R3 switchover…

Comment

Working...
                                X