Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought he did less than justice to the Monteux version, but perhaps that's just sentiment on my part, as I love his recordings and have happy memories of seeing him conduct.
    A while back I found a mint copy on LP of the 1980 Barenboim version on DG with the Orchestre de Paris,and Yvonne Minton, Francesco Araiza and Jules Bastin. Perhaps it was never on CD. I wouldn't put it up there with Davis or Monteux, but it's worth hearing.
    Does anyone share my mild irritation that any JEG recording invariably gets endorsed? It's quite irrational of me because whenever I see him conduct I'm usually impressed.

Comment

I did quite enjoy the BaL, but was a bit miffed that my (only) CD of this, (Muti with Norman, Estes etc) was given the big "E" right from square one! I enjoy it, at any rate. I hope my enjoyment won't become tarnished by this 'put-down!'
      I would love to get hold of Mazzel's version - I didn't know he'd recorded it. It's IMHO bound to be a cracker. Does anyone happen to know for whom he recorded it, and roughly when? In other words, is it available? I would guess, maybe Decca...?
      Thanks to all you helpful and knowledgeable folk - in advance.
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        I would love to get hold of Mazzel's version - I didn't know he'd recorded it. It's IMHO bound to be a cracker. Does anyone happen to know for whom he recorded it, and roughly when? In other words, is it available? I would guess, maybe Decca...?
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
          But read the small print - it isn't available.

Comment

Post 32 visualnickmos

Maazel? See my post 27, yes, with the VPO on a 1973 Decca LP (recorded Dec 1972). Its described as Orchestral Excerpts; you get the Vienna State Opera Chorus, but no soloists.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
              Post 32 visualnickmos

Maazel? See my post 27, yes, with the VPO on a 1973 Decca LP (recorded Dec 1972). Its described as Orchestral Excerpts; you get the Vienna State Opera Chorus, but no soloists.
              This was SXL6800 which was excerpts from SET570/1 reissued on CD 4250532
              (which was coupled with Harold in Italy). Currently unavailable.

Comment

Hi umslopogaas
                Thank you - yes, I should have read all the posts before posting. I read yous literally 2 seconds after I posted! Just one question; do you mean the solo parts are not included, or that the soloists are not listed (named)?
                Thanks
                Nick

Comment

I am rather attracted to the idea of having Berlioz R&J on authentic instruments in Gardiner's version and, heartened by a thread that tells us Amazon have woken up to the existence of BAL, I duly trekked there. I find that the Gardiner CDs are available at a minimum price of £247.92. What the h**l is going on here?

Can anyone recommend a cheaper site, i.e. offering a realistic price?

Comment

It's available on amazon.de at 28,44 Euros.

Comment

I'm told they seem to 'make up' the Gardiner Berlioz R&J on ArkivMusic here for about $30:

Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

Comment

Thanks, reinerfan and verisissimo, for your pointers. I shall follow them up.

Comment

Working...
                        X