Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    This often happens on BaL - an apparently favoured version that is ditched without any explanation.
    I only heard snatches of the show but I definitely heard a reason given for this: I distinctly recall Pinnock's version being generally applauded by the reviewer but lacking some vim in the dance parts of the latter concerti grossi.

But you seem determined to find fault with him, including one ad hominem comment (he's smug) and now stating a fact ("ditched without any explanation") that, IIRC, simply isn't the case.

What gives? Just because he didn't pick the one you like?
    It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post

Rarely does the reviewer pick the one I like the best, but that hardly matters. BaLs can be informative, but this one was incredibly narrow in its outlook, even though the number of available recordings was not large. If I misheard the reviewer re the Pinnock, then I stand corrected. I have listened to the download twice since the programme (which I turned off during the broadcast) but I must have missed that comment.

Comment

Pretty good balance of scholarly insight and personal preference imo - he made a number of references to the 'excellent' Pinnock before (as we would all have to do) discarding for the final shortlist.

Comment

I agree, Pianoman. It was interesting to hear the Pinnock recording against the Goodman - to my ears, the recorded quality and gorgeous acoustic of the latter is what wins it for me.

Comment

Whatever the final verdict, I found this BaL unbearable, rather like the Goodman Beethoven Violin Concerto one. Too opinionated and intolerant.
            And he didn't mention Ida Haendel...

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              I only heard snatches of the show but I definitely heard a reason given for this: I distinctly recall Pinnock's version being generally applauded by the reviewer but lacking some vim in the dance parts of the latter concerti grossi.

But you seem determined to find fault with him, including one ad hominem comment (he's smug) and now stating a fact ("ditched without any explanation") that, IIRC, simply isn't the case.

I am sorry but that is simply incorrect Throppers ( welcome back by the way ) . He said that was a minor blemish in relation to the dance movements but then a version that he had criticised more trenchantly namely Ensemble 451 remained on the shortlist. He most certainly did not give that minor blemish as a reason for not even shortlisting the version.

Comment

I've just finished listening to the Marriner set. Condemned by the current musical establishment it may be, but what glorious playing and sound. It was the reviewer who persuaded me to buy it, by his supercillious dismissal of it. BaL can be useful in mysterious ways.

Comment

I've just finished listening to the Marriner set. Condemned by the current musical establishment it may be, but what glorious playing and sound. It was the reviewer who persuaded me to buy it, by his supercillious dismissal of it. BaL can be useful in mysterious ways.
                  I've known that set for a long time - I have it on LPs and CD. I couldn't agree with you more, EA. It had a 'rosette' in the Penguin Guide for many years.

Comment

Fashion, eh?

Comment

Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                        Get over it.
                        No problem. Fashion is short-lived.

Comment

Has anyone else been having problems ordering the recommendation? I have ordered it once from an Amazon vendor and evidently it was lost in the post. I then ordered directly from Amazon and they have not posted or made any comments on the order status for 8 days. At this point any recommendations on an alternative? I am giving up hope of obtaining the recommendation.

J

Comment

Working...
                          X