• Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Well, he was from Llanelli, wasn't he?
    [Welsh accent] Bloody riffraff down there they are. [/Welsh accent]

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Just heard a cd as part of the Arcadia Quartet complete set. Stunning. Beefy, have you heard this recording, from Chandos.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Just heard a cd as part of the Arcadia Quartet complete set. Stunning. Beefy, have you heard this recording, from Chandos.

Disc 1 has the odd numbered quartets, presented chronologically. Disc 2 has the evens, likewise.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

I haven't heard the Arcadia Quartet performances. I'm a bit of a glutton for Bartok sets, so I'm tempted to buy it (download).

The Gramophone review that Bryn links to seems ultimately ambivalent.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            I haven't heard the Arcadia Quartet performances. I'm a bit of a glutton for Bartok sets, so I'm tempted to buy it (download).

The Gramophone review that Bryn links to seems ultimately ambivalent.
            Indeed. Looks like it might not scare the horses. I do intend to stream from QOBUZ though.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Indeed. Looks like it might not scare the horses. I do intend to stream from QOBUZ though.
              I guess that as part of a way to convince myself it's ok to buy another recording of this cycle, I'm thinking that I might enjoy the possibility that " .....this spacious, big-hearted vision of Bartók as poet, dreamer and humourist has something distinctive and beautiful to say."

As an aside, I really don't like the way many reviewers assume that a 'spikey' performance or a 'difficult' composition will put people off, as if listeners are faint-hearted and must be gently 'brought along' on so much 20/21 century music.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Sounded great to me!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

" .....this spacious, big-hearted vision of Bartók as poet, dreamer and humourist has something distinctive and beautiful to say."
                  That's one of those statements I come across quite often in reviews where my first thought is "yes, whatever" and my second is "but what does that even mean?" These days I'd much rather read the accounts of people on this forum than those of "professionals".

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

I guess that as part of a way to convince myself it's ok to buy another recording of this cycle, I'm thinking that I might enjoy the possibility that " .....this spacious, big-hearted vision of Bartók as poet, dreamer and humourist has something distinctive and beautiful to say."

As an aside, I really don't like the way many reviewers assume that a 'spikey' performance or a 'difficult' composition will put people off, as if listeners are faint-hearted and must be gently 'brought along' on so much 20/21 century music.
                    You are spot on Beefy,

I went from Barry White straight to the Bartok string quartets. I didn't see it as Soul and twentieth-century Classical, it was just great music to me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      You are spot on Beefy,
                      I went from Barry White straight to the Bartok string quartets. I didn't see it as Soul and twentieth-century Classical, it was just great music to me.
                      You're not the only one, Stanf - I had many teenage "A"-level Music students whose entry into the Musics of the Western Classical Traditions was the Bartok Fourth Quartet. ("Wow! This is like Hendrix!" one notable response.) The sparks from Bartok's frenetic clog dances light the flames for a whole new lifetime experience of Music for many people.

I wonder if the reviewers' expectations of their readers might be partly based on a widespread idea that "Classical" Music is "chill-out", soft-focussed, easy-listening stuff - judging by many of the "entries" in the "Classical Charts" when I saw them a few years ago.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        That's one of those statements I come across quite often in reviews where my first thought is "yes, whatever" and my second is "but what does that even mean?" These days I'd much rather read the accounts of people on this forum than those of "professionals".
                        Same here - and that's part of the reason why I quoted directly from the "professional".

I have made an assumption here that what's meant is that the performance is less grim and emotionally unrelenting as some can be. This set might hit the spot when I'm up for a more sunny, possibly superficial listen.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Same here - and that's part of the reason why I quoted directly from the "professional".

I have made an assumption here that what's meant is that the performance is less grim and emotionally unrelenting as some can be. This set might hit the spot when I'm up for a more sunny, possibly superficial listen.
                          Superficial listen with Bartok’s String quartets, Beefy?
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            You are spot on Beefy,

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              Superficial listen with Bartok’s String quartets, Beefy?
                              Yes, good point BBM!

I need to explain.

I listen to 2/3 of Bartok's string quartets virtually every day. I have 20 sets ranging from the Végh Quartet's goulash-sodden authenticity, to the ice-cool, razor sharp Ferrari passenger seat Emersons. I really enjoy all the different approaches. So a sunny-uplands, honorary-C major dreamily poetic set, really captures my imagination.

So I guess I'm really meaning a superficial engagement by the listener.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Just a little reminder not to restrict oneself to complete surveys of the Bartok quartets. The Talich Quartet's (Collins) recordings of 1, 2, 5 and 6 are well worth seeking out, as, perhaps even more so, is Brooklyn Rider in Number 2. The Talichs also recorded all six for Supraphon, but those have never made it to CD, as far as I am aware.

Comment

Working...
                                X