Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Summer BAL 32 - Ein Heldenleben

I have always struggled with this work despite having it appeared two highly regarded recordings - the Kempe and the Barbirolli .

I have been completely won over however by the live Barbirolli on BBC Legends . What are your favourite performances ?

There is a wonderful DVD of Rudolf Kempe conducting Heldenleben at the proms in 1974 with the RPO. It also includes a 1975 Prom with Dvorak 9. (ICA classics).

Karajan also conducted this well. Also Solti and Sawallisch.
    Amazon UK are offering the Thielemann Heldenleben, with the Alpine symphony and the Frau ohne Schatten suite from DGG for 12 pounds - a terrific bargain and all with the Vienna Philharmonic. Great stuff.

Comment

I have Karajan, Reiner, amd Kempe.(off hand). I only played the Reiner a couple of days ago!!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Karajan, BPO, DG 1959.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I love this work. I wait nervously to hear how many recordings Petrushka has of it - I have just 4 - Kempe, Karajan (1975) and Thielemann.....and one I'm particularly fond of, Karajan's May 1972 version recorded live at the RFH on Testament (coupled with the Pastoral). I listened to that broadcast on R3 at the time, having failed to get tickets for the two BPO concerts. The booklet has a lovely image of Michel Schwalbé in action on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by slarty View Post
            There is a wonderful DVD of Rudolf Kempe conducting Heldenleben at the proms in 1974 with the RPO. It also includes a 1975 Prom with Dvorak 9. (ICA classics).
            YAH!! Thanks for that slarty, I wuz there Another thing to go into the Riverpeople's basket or wishlist now

My shelves currently groan with Karajan (EMI, HvK in that wonderful OTT black-leather look) and Kempe. Thought I had Reiner too but apparently not. Damn, something else for the wishlist...
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              YAH!! Thanks for that slarty, I wuz there Another thing to go into the Riverpeople's basket or wishlist :
              Also big grin - we may have been rubbing elbows at that concert, or did you have a seat?

Comment

Originally posted by slarty View Post
                Also big grin - we may have been rubbing elbows at that concert, or did you have a seat?
                Reckon I was in a seat looking down on the RHS of the platform.
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I have always struggled with this work despite having it appeared two highly regarded recordings - the Kempe and the Barbirolli .

I have been completely won over however by the live Barbirolli on BBC Legends . What are your favourite performances ?
                  Beecham with the RPO 1947.

With that fine and most moving final section played by Oscar Lampe and Dennis Brain (whose sad death on 1st September 1957 makes this even more poignant for me)

Who needs stereo and digital when they can hear playing like this?

HS
                  Last edited by Hornspieler; 01-09-13, 09:41. Reason: typo (date)

Comment

The RSNO with Jarvi and Edwin Paling playing the solo violin part. Wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Karajan, BPO, DG 1959.
                      I must have HvK's second recording then?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        I must have HvK's second recording then?
                        The 1959 recording was the first Karajan made after returning to Deutsche Grammophon from EMI. The 1975 recording was made during Karajan's return to EMI (which I don't think lasted more than a decade?). The DG digital recording from the '80s is the only one not to feature Michel Schwalbé as violin soloist. There are also two recordings of Live performances on TESTAMENT: from 1972 (with Schwalbé, coupled with Beethoven's Pastoral) and from 1985 (with Leon Spierer, coupled with Beethoven's Fourth) - they're all excellent: Karajan had very special insights into this work. For me, the 1959 shows orchestra, conductor and record company all doing their very best to demonstrate to each other that right decisions have been made. There's a real swagger and depth to the performance that gives it a special edge that I find most appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                          Beecham with the RPO 1947.

With that fine and most moving final section played by Oscar Lampe and Dennis Brain (whose sad death on 1st September 1957 makes this even more poignant for me)

Who needs stereo and digital when they can hear playing like this?

HS
                          I remember this when it was reissued in the LP box that EMI released in 1979 to celebrate the Beecham centenary: a wonderful performance (I didn't know Brain was involved ), still available to download for pennies (literally cheaper than a bag of chips) - the sound is good and "warm", if a little "boxy" but the performance is one of those that makes you feel that you're part of an event:

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            I remember this when it was reissued in the LP box that EMI released in 1979 to celebrate the Beecham centenary: a wonderful performance (I didn't know Brain was involved ), still available to download for pennies (literally cheaper than a bag of chips) - the sound is good and "warm", if a little "boxy"* but the performance is one of those that makes you feel that you're part of an event:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ein-Heldenle...in+heldenleben
                            EDIT: * = Ignore this description of the sound, which on this MP3 release is a rather harsh transfer from someone's LP. Still very worth the pennies for the performance.

EDIT 2 (it's been one of those mornings ): Unless you're really strapped for cash, the performance is available on TESTAMENT:

... and BIDDULPH (with a couple of second-hand copies for around a fiver):

Sound and editing must be an improvement on the MP3!
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-09-13, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

It took me a long time to really appreciate this work, barbs. It's egotism is off putting, no doubt. Once I got past that, it's just a fantastic piece of music, IMO Strauss masterpiece.
                              Reiner/CSO is hard to beat, and it has been remastered and reissued as part of an all Strauss budget box. I learned the piece from Kempe/Dresden and also have Haitink/Amsterdam, but I particularly enjoy Blomstedt and the San Francisco SO, which came as a filler for Metamorphasen

Comment

Working...
                              X