• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    What's up guys?
    Perfect tming!

I'll get me coat...

Comment

Recently acquired in the cheap Gemini double CD set - the 1961 Beecham when my reason for buying was to get hold of the Tortelier/Beecham Don Quixote ( which is marvellous ) .

The Beecham is a cracker of a performance - very light on its orchestral feet so to speak and not overdoing the underlining e.g in the critics episode . Probably , now my favourite with the live Barbirolli and DVD of the Kempe .

Then again there is the spending Clemens Krauss recording .

Comment

Actually, imho, there are very few bad recordings of this piece. (Not that I've heard them all but I've collected performances over the years). There's such a sense of occasion in performing this work, what with its huge forces along with the virtuoso parts for solo violin and horn, that makes it irresistible.

My favourite performance is Die Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Zubin Mehta on the Orchestra's own channel. There is so much corporate virtuosity on display from all concerned that seems to silence criticism of the piece. The audience bring their own virtuosity by remaining silent and extremely attentive throughout.

Comment

Working...
        X