No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The forthcoming Cluytens Warner (EMI) box looks very interesting, even though over the years I have accumulated many of his recordings including his Ravel orchestral works and Beethoven Syms the 65 CD set looks very comprehensive and includes recordings I have not seen before. Interesting that recent Warner Icons appear to be pushing French conductors, mostly using the Erato logo eg Pretre, Jordan though Fremaux was Warner logo. They all press the get thou behind me button!

Comment

This is probably a must buy for me: http://www.mdt.co.uk/liszt-tausig-fa...ungaroton.html luckily, it's on Spotify so I can try before I buy!
      Best regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

Not that new (December 2016 releases I think I noticed) but looking forward to giving these an outing:

Always been impressed with Herbig's way with symphonic repertoire over the decades. These performances are from 2002 according to the labels. I'll be streaming them on Qobuz (and downloading if they're good). Can't find them on prestoclassical, but they are available on CD format from amazon I see.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm listening to the Anthology Of Russian Symphonic Music, Vol. 1 review on today's Record Review. I much admire Svetlanov as a conductor but this set throws down the gauntlet somewhat. 56 CDs and Melodiya aren't giving that much away at £399 (cheapest discounted on a quick look about £318). I don't have any antipathy to Rob Cowan as a reviewer but I'll have to consider carefully before his enthusiasm leads me to jump in and buy....

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            I'm listening to the Anthology Of Russian Symphonic Music, Vol. 1 review on today's Record Review. I much admire Svetlanov as a conductor but this set throws down the gauntlet somewhat. 56 CDs and Melodiya aren't giving that much away at £399 (cheapest discounted on a quick look about £318). I don't have any antipathy to Rob Cowan as a reviewer but I'll have to consider carefully before his enthusiasm leads me to jump in and buy....
            It would be lovely to have; apparently the box includes a white bow-tie. [No baton, which is a shame.....]

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              The forthcoming Cluytens Warner (EMI) box looks very interesting, even though over the years I have accumulated many of his recordings including his Ravel orchestral works and Beethoven Syms the 65 CD set looks very comprehensive and includes recordings I have not seen before. Interesting that recent Warner Icons appear to be pushing French conductors, mostly using the Erato logo eg Pretre, Jordan though Fremaux was Warner logo. They all press the get thou behind me button!
              Too tempting. Far too tempting....

Comment

RVW: "Scott of the Antarctic" - even more complete than ever.

A quick check suggested that this new release (last month) on DUTTON "Epoch" that might interest quite a number of Forumistas hasn't been mentioned here. Get it from Europadisc before Thursday and save a couple of quid:

Vaughan Williams - Scott of the Antarctic (complete) | It is a revelation to hear every note that Vaughan Williams wrote, late in 1947, for the then unmade

(To check what is newly restored and recorded from the composer's sketches, click on the "Europadisc Review" in the furthest right yellow box underneath the image of the CD cover.)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  A quick check suggested that this new release (last month) on DUTTON "Epoch" that might interest quite a number of Forumistas hasn't been mentioned here. Get it from Europadisc before Thursday and save a couple of quid:

Vaughan Williams - Scott of the Antarctic (complete) | It is a revelation to hear every note that Vaughan Williams wrote, late in 1947, for the then unmade

(To check what is newly restored and recorded from the composer's sketches, click on the "Europadisc Review" in the furthest right yellow box underneath the image of the CD cover.)
                  I thought it looked interesting , so ordered it. The CD arrived through my letterbox yesterday - haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but looking forward to it.

Comment

Plug alert!!!

Vale: new music for flute performed by Richard Craig
                    Metier MSV 28540

Evan Johnson- émoi (bass flute)
                    Esaias Järnegard - Psalm (contrabass flute and soprano)
                    Fabrice Fitch Agricola IX (flute and string trio)
                    Richard Barrett - vale (flute)
                    John Croft - Deux méditations d’une furie (bass flute and soprano)
                    Brice Pauset - Eurydice (flute)

“The flute is one of the instruments closest to the audible human breath and is caught in the process of continually becoming something other than a metal cylinder. Listening to Richard Craig’s playing, one becomes aware not of the limitations of the flute but of its expansion into a vibrant…

Comment

Reviewed in Gramophone this very month - the latest instalment of the Heidelberger/Fey cycle, which includes 6-8 (with Thomas Fey - poignantly, maybe the last Haydn we get from him) and then 35, 46 and 51 directed by their concertmaster Benjamin Spillner, on the 2nd disc. Been playing it off Qobuz HiFi all week and it is really lovely, set very spaciously (some of the earlier issues could be a bit dynamically bludgeoning if always musically topnotch) - didn't take me long to order the CDs. No.46 gets the best performance I've heard since Bruggen's, I think even finer than the one from the 2032 gang. Impressive and touching, too, how Fey's direction of 6-8 is lighter & more elegantly chamber-musical, than in his often dramatically idiosyncratic Sturm und Drang Symphonies; 6-8 are idiomatically baroque-stylish, with beautifully blended concertante elements. Minuets rather leisurely perhaps, but so pointed and light-of-touch I didn't mind.

As for Spillner, he seems to get at least as wonderful a response from his orchestra as Fey did, maybe even inspired to such fondness by that absence. Glorious release, best early/middle period Haydn I've heard in years.

Threasher makes the point in his review that this series is now seeking new sponsors if it is to continue... the curse of the Haydn cycle strikes yet again...
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-08-17, 16:17.

Comment

Try this link:

Thomas Fey : Haydn 6 - 8

Comment

This looks tempting, especially at the current offer price.

Comment

I've pre-ordered George Lloyd's 6th & 7th Symphonies which are released on September 1st on Lyrita. The BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra is conducted by Edward Downes. It's great to have another addition to this unsung geniuses discography.

This is an important release and will fill a gap until I can sponsor a complete cycle with Sir Simon and The LSO.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                              ... The BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra is conducted by Edward Downes. It's great to have another addition to this unsung geniuses discography. ...
                              A genius indeed, but not entirely unsung, surely.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                                I've pre-ordered George Lloyd's 6th & 7th Symphonies which are released on September 1st on Lyrita. The BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra is conducted by Edward Downes. It's great to have another addition to this unsung geniuses discography.

This is an important release and will fill a gap until I can sponsor a complete cycle with Sir Simon and The LSO.

Hiya pastoralguy,

Your post reminded me of seeing George Lloyd himself, it would be the 1980s I think, conduct several of his own works including symphonies at the now demolished BBC Studio 7, Oxford Road, Manchester. Treasured memories.

Comment

Working...
                                X