X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpegasus View Post
    Philippe Herreweghe on Harmonia Mundi, new for next month:

Herreweghe - the harmonia mundi years. Harmonia Mundi: HMX290882655. Buy 30 CDs online. Philippe Herreweghe

30 CDs don't seem enough for the lot - anyone seen a contents listing?
    I agree - some time ago, Harmonia Mundi gathered together all the Bach cantatas and choral works that he recorded for the label, and that was a substantial box set, sadly deleted. This collection surely has to be just a selection of the various discs he made for HM. A pity, as I would really like all those Bach works from him in one box.

Comment

Can anyone read the contents list? Or perhaps find a site with a clearer listing?

Comment

Just spotted upcoming BBC Legends 20 CD box Vol 2. Vol 1 is very good, so it will certainly be worth considering. Cheaper at MDT than Amazon or Presto.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Just spotted upcoming BBC Legends 20 CD box Vol 2. Vol 1 is very good, so it will certainly be worth considering. Cheaper at MDT than Amazon or Presto.
          Are there any "must have" performances not otherwise available in vol 2 which would justify the whole box?

You also mention vol 1 - highlights? I assume it's still available somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Are there any "must have" performances not otherwise available in vol 2 which would justify the whole box?
            Depends what you're looking for, Dave - the Beecham Sibelius#2, Stravinsky condicting Stravinsky, Walton conducting Walton, Britten conducting Mahler would alone make it interesting for me. But not necessarily for the pristine sound or performances - more as historical supplements (from artists I admire) to other ("better") recordings.

More mouth-watering fare there, I think - but a leeeetle more demanding on the wallet:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Got as far as googling first disc: Oistrakh/Shostakovich Concertos: Rave comments on MusicWeb: "I had to play it again straight away. ... If you don't respond to this, you need professional help! ... You will not hear these concertos played better!"

Comment

Very intriguing this....
                What they've done is arrange famous dances from - Indes Galantes, Dardanus, Castor et Pollux etc., into three 3-movement Organ Concertos featuring the "Francois-Henry Clicquot Organ of Souvigny". The concertos are named Les Enfers, Les Amours, Les Sauvages.
                Between them are dance-suites combining Rebel and Francoeur, among which the rich bass sonorities of the Musettes were especially pleasurable.
                The notes go into some detail about the historical precedents, e.g. Balbastre playing his own organ arrangements of Rameau dances for the Concert Spiritual after 1755. He may even have made one with orchestra in 1768.

Well, I'm no organ lover or connoisseur, but I do love recreative music-making and the sonorities created with the small orchestra are very unusual... and very moreish!
                Yet another example of the joys of HQ streaming, heard via Qobuz HiFi. I'm not sure I would have committed to a purchase straight-off, for all that I love Rameau's Suites and chamber works. At first I thought the lovely-sounding band lacked a bit of kick, but really they play with much light-and-shade, slowly developing dynamic and rhythmic energy and variety. Played more for fun than drama perhaps, but very apt to the new contexts.

Fascinating album!
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 20-09-17, 21:01.

Comment

It does indeed sound a fascinating album. Sadly for us technophobes, no CD of it appears to exist, so I won't be hearing it.

Comment

Whilst I imagine it will be looked upon as rather "pop " on here Kaufmann is in terrific form on his new CD of French opera arias with Bertrand de Billy and the Bavarian Staatsorchester.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      I agree - some time ago, Harmonia Mundi gathered together all the Bach cantatas and choral works that he recorded for the label, and that was a substantial box set, sadly deleted. This collection surely has to be just a selection of the various discs he made for HM. A pity, as I would really like all those Bach works from him in one box.
                      Thanks MickyD, I didn't know about that earlier set - is this the one:

I might hang on with the new set (depending on its contents) in the (slim) hope of finding a second-hand copy.

Comment

Originally posted by jpegasus View Post
                        Thanks MickyD, I didn't know about that earlier set - is this the one:

I might hang on with the new set (depending on its contents) in the (slim) hope of finding a second-hand copy.
                        Yes, that's the one, jpegasus - I think it was a very limited edition that got snapped up pretty quickly. I regret not buying it, as all those HM discs of Bach he made were very special.

Comment

Can anyone read the contents list? Or perhaps find a site with a clearer listing?
                          https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Comment

Thanks - much clearer now. Curious that it seems quite a lot clearer on the am.uk site now, though your link direct to the image is much better than using the magnifier on the original page.

Comment

The latest CD in the Naxos Havergal Brian series is released next month. It consists of performances of symphonies 8, 21 and 26 played by the New Russia State Symphony Orchestra conducted by Alexander Walker. This is their third cd of late Brian symphonies and, having listened to it already, it is a must for anyone interested in Brian's music.

This cd means that all of Brian's 32 symphonies are now available in recordings by professional forces. No.8 has been recorded previously by Sir Charles Groves while the only recording of No.21 was on the LP by the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra in 1972. No.26 has never been recorded before and, indeed, has only had one professional performance, in 1976, before this one.

I also understand that Dutton have recently made a recording of Brian's cantata The Vision of Cleopatra. The orchestral score of this relatively early work was destroyed in the London blitz during the war but it has been expertly reconstructed from the vocal score by John Pickard. So, plenty for Brianites to look forward to in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion-of-Vienna View Post
                                So, plenty for Brianites to look forward to in the near future.
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X