X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Or an even better listing

CD1 RAVI SHANKAR 1920-2012 Concerto for sitar and orchestra First movement: Rāga Khamāj - Chhed - Aochār Alap - Jor - Gat and Tān in Teentāl (16 Beats)  Second movement: Rāga Sindhi Bhairavi - Chhed and Chalan - Gand and Tān in Dadra ...

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Good to have so much detail. While there are 96 discs in the box, some of them offer decidedly short-measure. I am not in favour of such waste of carrier material.

Comment

Good to have so much detail. While there are 96 discs in the box, some of them offer decidedly short-measure. I am not in favour of such waste of carrier material.
        The CDs replicate the original LPs as far as possible with the jackets likewise replicating the original artwork. The downside to this is the obvious short measure. However, the recent Barbirolli box tried to have the best of both worlds and, in my view, ended up as a bit of a mess.

There will be different opinions on this but I prefer the approach as done with the Previn set, one which was also carried out with the Szell, Walter and Karajan boxes amongst others.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I might be interested at about half that price. Seems I've already got quite a number of the recordings - though some are/were on cassette tape. Did AP do Prokofiev symphony 6 or only 1,5 and 7? It's not worth buying a whole box just to get a replacement for my cassette tape, or some LPs which I've probably already duplicated on CD. I do have the Turangalila in surround sound already. I did enjoy seeing/hearing that at the Proms with AP years ago. Do we really need Peter and the Wolf in both English and German versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            I might be interested at about half that price. Seems I've already got quite a number of the recordings - though some are/were on cassette tape. Did AP do Prokofiev symphony 6 or only 1,5 and 7? It's not worth buying a whole box just to get a replacement for my cassette tape, or some LPs which I've probably already duplicated on CD. I do have the Turangalila in surround sound already. I did enjoy seeing/hearing that at the Proms with AP years ago. Do we really need Peter and the Wolf in both English and German versions?
            Bear in mind that these are only the EMI and Teldec recordings. Some of his most highly regarded recordings were for what is now the Sony Group.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              With 96 CDs it turns out to be £1.77 a disc which constitutes something of a bargain so expecting it to be half the price is somewhat over optimistic! Having all of AP's EMI recordings in one box, new remasterings and not forgetting the big nostalgia value of the original artwork then it might be a decent opportunity to get rid of those cassette tapes.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                With 96 CDs it turns out to be £1.77 a disc which constitutes something of a bargain so expecting it to be half the price is somewhat over optimistic! Having all of AP's EMI recordings in one box, new remasterings and not forgetting the big nostalgia value of the original artwork then it might be a decent opportunity to get rid of those cassette tapes.
                It's not a bargain if one has already got more than 50% of the recordings, and the remaining 50% are of less interest. I did do this recently with the large Bruno Walter edition, though unfortunately I then spilled a very small amount of a chocolate drink over the box, which took some very considerable mopping up and restorative attention as virtually every CD "case" was affected, as well as the book. I will however, be unlikely to buy the box again in order to get a pristine copy.

Many of the people who frequent these pages are likely to have a large proportion of the CDs by AP already. Sometimes considerable bargains do turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  The CDs replicate the original LPs as far as possible with the jackets likewise replicating the original artwork. The downside to this is the obvious short measure. However, the recent Barbirolli box tried to have the best of both worlds and, in my view, ended up as a bit of a mess.

There will be different opinions on this but I prefer the approach as done with the Previn set, one which was also carried out with the Szell, Walter and Karajan boxes amongst others.
                  I thought the Barbirolli box ended up with some strange bedfellows! This one is more in line with the Previn Sony box which I have!

Comment

Forthcoming attractions on Q....... but (sensational) CD already out......

Mes favoris
                    Cet élément a bien été ajouté / retiré de vos favoris
                    Simpson: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 (Live)
                    Charles Groves, Andrew Davis, London Symphony Orchestra
                    To be released on 02/04/2021 by Lyrita
                    Qobuz lossless

Comment

Yesterday I was listening to a new CD on BIS of music by Michael Jarrell (b 1958), an old acquaintance of mine. I was struck by the echoes in the first piece - a viola concerto - of the concertos of Dutilleux. Admirers of HD's work might find much to interest them on the Jarrell disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        Yesterday I was listening to a new CD on BIS of music by Michael Jarrell (b 1958), an old acquaintance of mine. I was struck by the echoes in the first piece - a viola concerto - of the concertos of Dutilleux. Admirers of HD's work might find much to interest them on the Jarrell disc.
                        Many thanks for the recommendation; I’ve ordered the CD and look forward to listening to its craftsmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          But I don't see the Grieg Piano concerto, with you know who as the soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            All the letters of the relevant listing are there; just not necessarily in the . . .

Comment

All the letters of the relevant listing are there; just not necessarily in the . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                                It's only in the special preview edition.

Comment

Working...
                                X