No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news for admirers of George Lloyd: the second instalment of his symphonies, released today by Lyrita.

George Lloyd: The Symphonies Nos. 7-12. Lyrita: SRCD2418. Buy 4 CDs or download online. BBC Philharmonic, Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic (Brass Section), Albany Symphony Orchestra, George Lloyd

The first instalment came out last month:

George Lloyd: The Symphonies Nos. 1 - 6. Lyrita: SRCD-2417. Buy 4 CDs or download online. BBC Philharmonic, Albany Symphony Orchestra, George Lloyd

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Good news for admirers of George Lloyd: the second instalment of his symphonies, released today by Lyrita.

George Lloyd: The Symphonies Nos. 7-12. Lyrita: SRCD2418. Buy 4 CDs or download online. BBC Philharmonic, Philharmonia Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic (Brass Section), Albany Symphony Orchestra, George Lloyd

The first instalment came out last month:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...honies-nos-1-6
      Whilst this is great news it’s a real pity that an enterprising record company hasn’t initiated a new set of recordings of these marvellous works. Surely NAXOS would be the obvious label to find a willing conductor and orchestra to breath new life into them.

As I’ve said many times, if I win the lottery I’ll be offering to sponsor a new cycle. One day…

Comment

High hopes for this, released today and already in the queue for streaming later today:

Britten: Spring Symphony, Sinfonia da Requiem, the Young Person's Guide To the Orchestra. LSO Live: LSO0830. Buy SACD or download online. Elizabeth Watts (soprano), Alice Coote (mezzo), Allan Clayton (tenor), London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle

Britten

Sinfonia da requiem
        Spring symphony
        Young person's guide to the orchestra

LSO/Rattle

Comment

This release should be of interest to at least one forumite. Taken from live performances (though one would never guess from the almost totally silent audience) these are exceptional performances. For me the Vivo is always a piece to test the quality of any recording and here there are no complaints, albeit without quite the character of the famous ASMF release.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            https://lpo.org.uk/recording/jurowsk...avinsky-vol-3/

This release should be of interest to at least one forumite. Taken from live performances (though one would never guess from the almost totally silent audience) these are exceptional performances. For me the Vivo is always a piece to test the quality of any recording and here there are no complaints, albeit without quite the character of the famous ASMF release.

Will search out and see if streamable.
            Curiously not listed in Presto's new releases last week.

PS: It is, and with more pieces than listed on the cover (and on Presto's site)!
            Threni, Ode, Aldous Huxley Variations.

Comment

Will search out and see if streamable.
              Curiously not listed in Presto's new releases last week.

PS: It is, and with more pieces than listed on the cover (and on Presto's site)!
              Threni, Ode, Aldous Huxley Variations.
              It's on Qobuz....I played the Sym in C yesterday......but not your namesake....yet!

Comment

High hopes for this, released today and already in the queue for streaming later today:

Britten: Spring Symphony, Sinfonia da Requiem, the Young Person's Guide To the Orchestra. LSO Live: LSO0830. Buy SACD or download online. Elizabeth Watts (soprano), Alice Coote (mezzo), Allan Clayton (tenor), London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle

Britten

LSO/Rattle
                I tried it out but I find most of Britten's music mildly repulsive. It makes me feel physically sick :-(

Comment

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post

I tried it out but I find most of Britten's music mildly repulsive. It makes me feel physically sick :-(
                  I wasn't too impressed with the SdR, so haven't listened to the rest yet.

Comment

The star pianist Yuja Wang releases her latest album with the live recording of her concert from April 2022 at the Vienna Konzerthaus. The eclectic program on Deutsche Grammophon. Listen and buy now.

Astounding pianism as one would expect; what strikes one is the effortless ability to move between very different soundworlds. The two selections from Iberia make one long to hear Wang record the complete set.

Comment

Agreed - like her Berlin recital this is a beautifully varied programme delivered with consummate artistry.

Comment

Beethoven Violin Sonatas Vol. 3 (Nos. 1,6 & 8). Viktoria Mullova, Alasdair Beatson (fortepiano).

Ms Mullova's first recording in this series was with Krystian Bezuidenhout in 2010. After a long gap the second instalment (now with Beatson) appeared: here is the latest. I very much enjoy hearing these pieces played in this way on period instruments. The latest disc contains the A major sonata, Op. 30/3, which was the first of these sonatas I became familiar with from my parents' 78s. A beautiful lightness of touch in this rather Mozartian piece.

Comment

I must admit that I've heard a few excerpts from Yuja Wang's latest cd and I'm very tempted to get a copy. Her earlier recordings look to be worth a look too

I've preordered Martin Cousin's latest Naxos Liszt CD as well, despite my reservations about tempo.
                          Best regards,
                          Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                          X