This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

If you go to https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/e...de-series-2472 and scroll down, the individual albums are shown and clicking on them, in turn, gives links to sites offering streaming or downloads. Those I have looked at are both streamable and downloadable from QOBUZ. However, it is easier to find them via the DG site linked to above than by using the rather poor QOBUZ search facility. No programme notes pdf, however.
    Actually, it's only 18 of the 21 CDs in the set that have links via the covers shown at the bottom of that page. The Lutoslawski and Pendereki String Quartes are on QOBUZ but in their earlier no-Avent Guarde dressing. Hopefully, the other two items missing from the cover links are there in different garb, too.

Comment

This release promises to be well worthy of investigation:

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        This release promises to be well worthy of investigation:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ent-perfection
        I think an extract of it was played on Essential Classics last week, sounded very nice indeed

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post

I think an extract of it was played on Essential Classics last week, sounded very nice indeed
          AMcG played the slow movement of the Piano Quartet on Record Review yesterday: it sounded sublime

Comment

"Sublime" is the mot juste to describe this release. Listened via Qobuz but the physical disc would make a great Christmas present. The lightness of texture which comes from the period instruments is a delight in music which can sometimes (in the wrong hands) sound a bit too "Brahmsian", if that makes sense.

Comment

The whole Hyperion library seems to be on the major streaming platforms now. Great! Many discs I wthought about buying over the years but budget reasons I never did. Now all part of a monthly subscription with 100,000s of other classical recordings. Spotify the best .
              "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Due out next week (hopefully), volume 6 of Mark Viner's excellent on going Alkan series. It's already on Spotify and it's superb 🙂.

Le Chemin de fer is absolutely phenomenal
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                  The whole Hyperion library seems to be on the major streaming platforms now. Great! Many discs I wthought about buying over the years but budget reasons I never did. Now all part of a monthly subscription with 100,000s of other classical recordings. Spotify the best
                  Yes, it’s good to have streaming access to Hyperion, though I'd take issue with your 'Spotify is the best'. It's certainly one of the worst in terms of the fees it pays to the artists whose works are streamed. And, for me, access to Hyperion albums' liner notes is very important: not available on Spotify, last time I looked, but readily available on my two chosen streaming services for classical music, Qobuz and Presto Classical.

Comment

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                    I'd take issue with your 'Spotify is the best'.
                    So would I, rather emphatically
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Yes, it’s good to have streaming access to Hyperion, though I'd take issue with your 'Spotify is the best'. It's certainly one of the worst in terms of the fees it pays to the artists whose works are streamed.
                      It's also emphatically one of the worst for streaming quality - limited to 256kbps at best.- ie not lossless.

Moreover, the whole Hyperion catalogue has certainly not yet been made available on this, or any other platform yet. As I understand it, the catalogue is gradually increasing its online representation over several months and there are still notable absences - e.g. Gothic Voices, the Handley Bantock recordings inter alia.

Comment

Leslie Howard's Liszt recordings have yet to appear on any streaming service either (not that it's a problem for me as I've got the box set), same with much of the RPC and related series.
                        Best regards,
                        Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                          It's also emphatically one of the worst for streaming quality - limited to 256kbps at best.- ie not lossless.
                          I have set my Spotify to their "Very High" audio quality which I believe is equivalent to 320kbit/s. I have some quibbles with Spotify - the user interface, artist remuneration, but generally enjoy using it. It sounds very good played through a digital lead to Marantz amp and Mission speakers. Maybe it is down to my septuagenarian ears but I can't really distinguish it from CD. Listening to music is one of my main pastimes (obsessions) and I would not put up with worst quality.

Comment

Yes, it’s good to have streaming access to Hyperion, though I'd take issue with your 'Spotify is the best'. It's certainly one of the worst in terms of the fees it pays to the artists whose works are streamed. And, for me, access to Hyperion albums' liner notes is very important: not available on Spotify, last time I looked, but readily available on my two chosen streaming services for classical music, Qobuz and Presto Classical.
                            I'm interested in your post, as I was considering Qobuz or Presto. Wat are the advantages of having both?

Comment

mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

mmmm
                                Am I alone in thinking this an appalling CD cover?

Comment

Working...
                                X