This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Bernstein - An American in Paris. Due for release on August 24th from Warner a7CD set of 1970s recordings of Bernstein with the ONF, inc his studio recordings of Berlioz Sym Fant and Harold in Italy, Milhaud but also some previously unreleased live recordings of Ravel and others. I guess of interest to all Lenny fans!
    Is that the Symphonie fantastique, with large metal plates for the bells, that came out on LP at a special price of less than £1? If so, it got played a great deal here in my youf.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Is that the Symphonie fantastique, with large metal plates for the bells, that came out on LP at a special price of less than £1? If so, it got played a great deal here in my youf.
      No I think that was NYPO on CBS SPR21. This was on EMI and was also one of the SQ quadrophonic issues. It was issued on CD on CDM7690022.

Comment

A new recording from the terrifically talented Pavel Kolesnikov of Beethoven comes out on 31 August . His Chopin, Tchaikovsky and L Couperin discs have been outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          A new recording from the terrifically talented Pavel Kolesnikov of Beethoven comes out on 31 August . His Chopin, Tchaikovsky and L Couperin discs have been outstanding.
          Totally agree Barbs. Outstanding musicianship. Must look up what the new disc contains ...

Comment

Did anyone get the Ticciati Brahms symphonies? Jayne?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Did anyone get the Ticciati Brahms symphonies? Jayne?
              No! The Venzago obsessed me for weeks, and then the Proms came along just when I needed them, really... now Dausgaard (yes, him again...) has released more of his other-SCO cycle...there's a lot of it about.

But I guess the primary problem is that Linn/Ticciati aren't available on Qobuz....

Comment

Been enjoying the Valerie Tryon new Mozart recordings on Somm - the Gramophone reviewer seems to have listened to different performances of K466& K467 to me . They are all about the music rather than the player - not self effacing but faithful. Look forward to the duet recordings which he appears to have preferred.

Comment

from the Bernstein thread....

Last night/early this morning (I'm never quite sure of the difference these days) I discovered (on Qobuz HiFi) the new release of the Symphony No.2 with Zimerman/Berlin Phil/Rattle... oh, it's poor value as a CD/download purchase yes, but the performance! Utterly wonderful, the subtlest and most beautiful I've heard yet, even alongside the more "operatic" Rana/Pappano.

I'd just heard the 1950 Foss/Bernstein and was about to return to bed, but scanning Qobuz Discover blear-eyed, I stumbled upon this new one, and the cat-on-me rule persuaded me to go one further. Thanks, Mizzy!
                  Anyone who loves Bernstein or the Symphonies in particular, needs to hear this any which way!

Comment

Really looking forward to hearing this (which I currently have on pre-order): https://www.mdt.co.uk/liszt-twelve-s...sics-3cds.html - and it's only £8.15 for 3 discs at the moment!
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                      Really looking forward to hearing this (which I currently have on pre-order): https://www.mdt.co.uk/liszt-twelve-s...sics-3cds.html - and it's only £8.15 for 3 discs at the moment!
                      Order duly placed. It will be interesting to hear how those he prepared for solo piano compare.

Comment

The fabled Celibidache Munich recordings of Daphnis Suites 1&2 is being released by the Munich Phil label on 14 September. Not to be confused with the Stuttgart, ORTF or Swedish RSO versions (which are less well played and/or recorded). I've only ever heard a lossy streamed version but it was VERY impressive. It was never officially released and second hand copies of the pirated versions go for silly money.

See these ecstatic comments from Peter Gutmann

Sergiu Celibidache bootleg CDs, shoddy engineering despite their musical excellence. Classical record reviews and commentary by a passionate fan. Expanded, updated Goldmine columns.

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          from the Bernstein thread....

Last night/early this morning (I'm never quite sure of the difference these days) I discovered (on Qobuz HiFi) the new release of the Symphony No.2 with Zimerman/Berlin Phil/Rattle... oh, it's poor value as a CD/download purchase yes, but the performance! Utterly wonderful, the subtlest and most beautiful I've heard yet, even alongside the more "operatic" Rana/Pappano.

I'd just heard the 1950 Foss/Bernstein and was about to return to bed, but scanning Qobuz Discover blear-eyed, I stumbled upon this new one, and the cat-on-me rule persuaded me to go one further. Thanks, Mizzy!
                          Anyone who loves Bernstein or the Symphonies in particular, needs to hear this any which way!
                          Thanks for this Jayne Extra chicken for Mizzy for services to 2-legged kind Still not taken the plunge with streaming services so I followed the recording up to discover that it appears to be the Berliner Phil concert of 16 June 2018, now available on the BP’s digital concert hall, price EUR9.90. And there’s more … Second up in the concert is ‘Agile’ by Magnus Lindberg (Lindberg clarinet concerto in Prom 4), 4th on is ‘Notturno Inquieto’ by Brett Dean (enjoyed his piece in Prom 30). So, plenty of current interest, if you like that kind of thing.

Link to BP DCH is here:
                          As chief conductor of the Berliner Philharmoniker, Simon Rattle has impressively shown again and again what variety and richness are couched in the term “modern music” – and he does so again at this concert. We hear three short premieres, enter the world of film and television with Robin Hood and Tom and Jerry, and experience Bernstein’s jazz-influenced Second Symphony, with world star Krystian Zimerman as piano soloist.

As you might expect it's quite a slick website.
                          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                            Thanks for this Jayne Extra chicken for Mizzy for services to 2-legged kind Still not taken the plunge with streaming services so I followed the recording up to discover that it appears to be the Berliner Phil concert of 16 June 2018, now available on the BP’s digital concert hall, price EUR9.90. And there’s more … Second up in the concert is ‘Agile’ by Magnus Lindberg (Lindberg clarinet concerto in Prom 4), 4th on is ‘Notturno Inquieto’ by Brett Dean (enjoyed his piece in Prom 30). So, plenty of current interest, if you like that kind of thing.

Link to BP DCH is here:
                            As chief conductor of the Berliner Philharmoniker, Simon Rattle has impressively shown again and again what variety and richness are couched in the term “modern music” – and he does so again at this concert. We hear three short premieres, enter the world of film and television with Robin Hood and Tom and Jerry, and experience Bernstein’s jazz-influenced Second Symphony, with world star Krystian Zimerman as piano soloist.

The new Rattle/BPO Age of Anxiety is also available on Spotify.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Order duly placed. It will be interesting to hear how those he prepared for solo piano compare.
                              Indeed! It's a shame there is no 2 piano version of "From the Cradle to the Grave" to add to the 12 on these discs.
                              Best regards,
                              Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post

Link to BP DCH is here:

Some programme, right?
                                The CD note says "live recording Philharmonie 13-16 June 2018". Quick work then! They must have sensed how special it is.
                                Turns out the short-measure disc is beautifully packaged, with Edward Hopper's Nighthawks reproduced inside. I have the free pass to the DCH which came as usual with the new season programme, so I may visit again (I used to listen regularly before they reduced the live bitrate to 256 acc, just after R3 had brought in the 320aac stream..(doh! etc).; 320 kbps is still available in the DCH archive though).
                                But I'm having unprecedented streaming/computer problems at the moment, so thank god for CDs (New Releases of which now seem like expensive luxuries..​.tempura mutantur etc). couldn't live without Qobuz Discover though... anxiously (exhaustingly) seeking a solution...(off/on, unplug/plug, uninstall/reinstall, etc...

(Mizzy's now on the step, looking out at the drizzle...wants her chicken treats reward....)
                                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-08-18, 17:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X