This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    This appears to be the height of craziness. The Austrian label "God" has released a recording of Morton Feldman's String Quartet 2 played by the Pellegrini Quartet. That's the good news. The bad is that it is on 6 vinyl LPs only, and costs around £100 plus p&p. I have emiled them to enquire whether they intend to stick to this obsolete media or also issue the recording on CD, audio DVD or as high resolution download. 11 side changes for a continuous performance just seems so stupid, let alone the audio defects of vinyl.
    €90 plus about €12 here. Worth buying as an investment.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      €90 plus about €12 here. Worth buying as an investment.
      https://www.soundohm.com/product/str...box/pid/32884/
      I'm not interested in having it as an investment. I want to be able to listen to it uninterrupted, without pops and clicks, without wow and flutter, and without CCIR and bias distortion.

Comment

Just heard volume 2 of Richard Rodney Bennett’s orchestral music. Very good series here.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I have had a sift reply from Slobodan Kajkut of God records. He has no plans to release the recording of Feldman's SQ II on or via any digital media. There's a certain irony in this. He's a fairly prominent composer/improviser in Austria. He seems happy enough to use digital processors as part of his performances. He says he is no dinosar. To me, his devotion to vinyl suggests otherwise. Still, Beefy might like this:

Comment

Not a new release, but relevant to the preceding posts re. the Feldman SQ II, QOBUZ are currently offering the work, as recorded by the Ives Ensemble, for £13.99 (loslses CD rate download). Hopefully they have replaced the faulty files which were on offer for this recording last year (they did withdraw the downoad when advised of the problem).
            Last edited by Bryn; 14-10-18, 13:31. Reason: Typo

Comment

Not a new release, but relevant to the preceding posts re. the Feldman SQ II, QOBUZ are currently offering the work, as recorded by the Ives Ensemble, for £13.99 (losses CD rate download). Hopefully they have replaced the faulty files which were on offer for this recording last year (they did withdraw the downoad when advised of the problem).
              In my experience, files that have been flagged as faulty and refunded etc, are not replaced by Qobuz. I would still like to download Gergiev's Mariinsky DSCH 15 and the complete Kurtag string quartets that I had to flag up (Kurtag more than a year ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                In my experience, files that have been flagged as faulty and refunded etc, are not replaced by Qobuz. I would still like to download Gergiev's Mariinsky DSCH 15 and the complete Kurtag string quartets that I had to flag up (Kurtag more than a year ago).
                I might just check via the stream, later. Unfortunately, I can't remember which of the files had the problems. Still, it's a short performance; only around four and a half hours.

[Just tried track XIII, since I recall it was towards the end that most of the problems were to be found. Sure enough, around 14 minutes in, it starts breaking up. I will contact them and complin in the stringest terms that they have reinstated faulty files. Very poor business prcatice on ther parr, especially after having removed the files following an earlier compalaint].
                Last edited by Bryn; 14-10-18, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  I got an email from them a month or so ago about a faulty download where the files had been replaced and were available for me to download. I didn't bother as I'd bought the CD by then.

OTOH the I Fischer Firebird/Rite files still have gapless playback problems (I had a credit from Qobuz for them)

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    I got an email from them a month or so ago about a faulty download where the files had been replaced and were available for me to download. I didn't bother as I'd bought the CD by then.

OTOH the I Fischer Firebird/Rite files still have gapless playback problems (I had a credit from Qobuz for them)
                    Not a new new release but one which slipped my radar. It came out at the end of August - Neeme Jarvi a Lifetime on Chandos -a 25 CD set with a variety of orchestras, some of which I was unaware of. Available for around £60.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Not a new new release but one which slipped my radar. It came out at the end of August - Neeme Jarvi a Lifetime on Chandos -a 25 CD set with a variety of orchestras, some of which I was unaware of. Available for around £60.
                      Ah yes! I saw this. Looks like a very good selection!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

The Bach recordings by Café Zimmermann have been much praised on this forum - just to let readers know that Alpha will soon be releasing a 16 CD box of all their recordings for the label.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                          The Bach recordings by Café Zimmermann have been much praised on this forum - just to let readers know that Alpha will soon be releasing a 16 CD box of all their recordings for the label.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivaldi-Cha...afe+zimmermann
                          It's déjà vu again.

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                            Ah yes! I saw this. Looks like a very good selection!
                            I bought it - a few duplications but a really good box - Neeme Jarvi boxes the compass with works and orchestras.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I bought it - a few duplications but a really good box - Neeme Jarvi boxes the compass with works and orchestras.
                              Too much of an oversized sampler for me.

Comment

Too much of an oversized sampler for me.
                                I sort of think I know where you are coming from but, for me, it filled a lot of NJ gaps at prices per disc much less than normal Chandos prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X