No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've spent the last day listening to Khata Buniatishvili's first Sony solo release, of Liszt, including the B minor sonata' and Ingrid Fliter's first EMI all-Beethoven piano sonatas, both available on Spotify.

The Buniatishvili is an extraordinary recording because it is light years away from her several scrambled 'live' performances that I have heard of this work recently. It's an intersting performance, not amongst the greatest imho, but certainly worth hearing. If she can play like this then she should be encouraged. However, if this is a Sony cut'n'paste job they should be ashamed.

Fliter's Beethoven is quite wonderful, the occasional odd tempo aside, but even they are interesting. There are videos on youtube of her playing Beethoven 'live' and they confirm that the commercial recording is honest in outline at least.

Both pianists are described as being proteges of Argerich. Buniatishvili is aged 24 and Fliter is half again as old. The age difference is reflected in the maturity and searching nature of the perfomances here. I do wish Buniatishvili well but it's for Fliter that I am parting with my money

Liszt: Piano Works. Sony: 88697766042. Buy CD or download online. Khatia Buniatishvili (piano)

Other mail order suppliers are available

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
      Yes indeed. Thanks for the heads-up.
      A couple more Chandos SACDs announced on jpc, too.

Also, a new series from Neos of music by Weinberg from last year's Bregenz Festival, some concerts from which I caught on air, the Requiem and the 6th Symphony, both on my wishlist. Wonderful stuff.

Comment

I have just seen this marvelous b ox xet in EMI's 'The Collectors Edition' Series. I already have the RVW and Elgar ones and saw this one and ofcourse I salivated at the prospect! I have played, already the first five cds and on the next! If anyone hasnt purchased this and is a Britten fan, I strongly reccomend this set!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Good to see that EMI is devoting one of its forthcoming Icon boxes to 'Tod' Handley:

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            I have just seen this marvelous b ox xet in EMI's 'The Collectors Edition' Series. I already have the RVW and Elgar ones and saw this one and ofcourse I salivated at the prospect! I have played, already the first five cds and on the next! If anyone hasnt purchased this and is a Britten fan, I strongly reccomend this set!
            Which one?

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Any chance of a link, BBM, so that we can know what you're writing about so enthusiastically?

EDIT: Apols, cross-post with barber

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                Good to see that EMI is devoting one of its forthcoming Icon boxes to 'Tod' Handley:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vernon-Handl...4615805&sr=1-1
                Here's a track listing:

This website is for sale! emiclassics.de is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, emiclassics.de has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I'm sure anyone who might be interested in the set will be able to work out who composed what in that list.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Any chance of a link, BBM, so that we can know what you're writing about so enthusiastically?

EDIT: Apols, cross-post with barber
                  EDIT notwithstanding:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/-/65339...1853|prd:78888

Comment

The Concertgebouw Anthology Volume 6 was waiting for me in France on my return on Sunday. Almost worth it for Tennstedt's Mahler 5 alone - much more still to listen to (along with the Willem van Otterloo 1951 - 1966 box; and Jonathan Nott's Mahler 3) but no disappointments so far. Amazon's lowest price is around £85 which isn't all that cheap but there are 14 CDs - and an excellent booklet.

Comment

HMV are offering it, with free delivery, for £84.99.

Comment

Not a new release, but, I hope, a new mastering. If anyone gets this soon, please let on whether a few more stereo masters have been discovered? In the original set, some recordings from 1957 were in mono, which seems strange.

on this page:

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                          Not a new release, but, I hope, a new mastering. If anyone gets this soon, please let on whether a few more stereo masters have been discovered? In the original set, some recordings from 1957 were in mono, which seems strange.

on this page:

http://www.testament.co.uk/default.aspx?PageID=74
                          Interestingly, according to Amazon UK there is a 6cd Rabin EMI ICON due for release in November. I have no idea of the contents and it is quite possible that Amazon has got it wrong (there are precedents!) and confused it with the Testament issue. The ICON price at AmazonUK is £22.99 but at Amazon DE it is an astonishing 14.99 Euros.

Further information is awaited with interest.

Comment

Well, there's a curious thing.

Many thanks for the info.

Comment

I couldn't resist ordering this intriguing new Telemann disc which got a rave five star review in Sunday's Indie. Details here but ordered for only £8.99 at HMV.

Barbaric Beauty. Channel: CCSSA31911. Buy SACD or download online. Milos Valent Holland Baroque Society

Comment

Again, not new releases, but new reissues of orphans by Classic Recordings Quarterly

Boult conducting two Tchaikovsky symphonies caught my eye.

Comment

Working...
                                X