X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
    my email to qobuz resulted in my account able to download what I wasn't able to.
    Any explanation as to why there was a problem previously?

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      That's great. Hope that you enjoy the Benjamin Grosvenor as much as I have been doing. The piano sound is, to use that horrible American cliche, awesome. And the playing is pretty awesome as well. His Chopin .. a thing of wonder
      HD, thanks for the email.
      Steve

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
        Any explanation as to why there was a problem previously?
        No, I really don't know what's going on.....

Comment

• DublinJimbo
          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          For those, like me, who have been hoping that the Collins Classics series of Peter Maxwell Davies orchestral works is issued on Naxos it looks like we need wait no longer:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product...al/8572348.htm
          This is now available. I'm currently listening to it on the Naxos Music Library.

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Thanks PJPJ.

I wondered what had happened to Dougie Bostock.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
              I adored her fresh & wonderfully thought out Brahms VC with Daniel Harding & the Mozart Chamber Orch. I've seen her play the LvB in concert & her violin is as beautiful as it sounds on her recordings. I think I need to get this CD asap. Another faultless review in today's Grauniad:

If Beethoven's concerto is a wonderful collaborative effort then the performance of the Berg is even more remarkable, writes Andrew Clements

Nice to have a living artist being praised on these MBs - there is rather an emphasis on dead ones
              I agree that this is a record that lives up to the hype . The Beethoven is joyful and songlike and very refreshing but the Berg is quite magnificent- a dark. profound and immensely moving reading.

Comment

• Curalach

The Faust/Abbado recording of the Berg and Beethoven Violin Concertos is my "disc of the year" so far

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                  The Faust/Abbado recording of the Berg and Beethoven Violin Concertos is my "disc of the year" so far
                  It is wonderful, isn't it. I've struggled with the Berg on and off, but this recording overwhelmed me.

My other disc of the year is Ben Grosvenor's Decca recital.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                    • Nov 2011

Oh yes, most definitely — and most especially for the Berg (good as the Beethoven is).

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                      and most especially for the Berg.
                      Indeed.

Comment

• AmpH
                        • Feb 2012

I see that the 1966 / 67 cycle of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas by Josef Suk and Jan Panenka is due to be reissued on 23 April 2012 newly remastered by Supraphon. IMO one of the very best of all cycles of these Sonatas and surely a bargain at this price on Amazon.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                          I see that the 1966 / 67 cycle of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas by Josef Suk and Jan Panenka is due to be reissued on 23 April 2012 newly remastered by Supraphon. IMO one of the very best of all cycles of these Sonatas and surely a bargain at this price on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...2867545&sr=8-1
                          Hmm. Same price at hmv.com. Duly ordered.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by AmpH View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...2867545&sr=8-1
                            That's an amazing bargain! So much for being ahead of the posse: I paid the equivalent of £17 for lossless downloads of this a few weeks ago.

It really is a magnificent set. Of recent recordings, Faust/Melnikov and Ibragimova/Tiberghien are very impressive (F/M ahead, in my opinion), but it will be the Suk that I'll return to more often.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Indeed.
                              Curalach, you are a bad boy. For years I have been searching for a dream Berg Violin Concerto. Usually when a new recording comes out I listen in at Collectors' Corner hoping that I can rediscover the ideal performance I once heard with Georgy Pauk. Your praise of Isobelle Faust and Claudio Abbado tempted me to pull off the shelf the only Berg VC I have (and have never played): a BBCMM from 2002 with Leonidas Kavakos. He was wonderful but Andrew Davis could not get the BBCSO to show any passion. However thanks for making me play the CD.....with the Berg comes a glorious Verklarte Nacht again with the BBCSO but Donald Runnicles is brilliant. He proves why the work is one of the truly great string romantic works of great genius...Dvorak, Elgar, Suk. Thanks for making me listen to this version

So? Why are you a bad boy? Well, I like Faust and love Abbado so I have pushed the boat out with the river people.

Cheers, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X