This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Some new Sony Classical Masters available for pre-order including Fleischer in LvB and Brahms and this

The cost is less that his famous stereo Mahler 2 has been going for 2nd hand......
    The Stokowski box contents look to be the same as the RCA box of several years ago, well worth having! I thought it a bargain then at considerably greater cost (CD prices have become more sensible since!). I have the Beethoven Fleisher, but the box looks good just to acquire the Brahms.

Comment

Been waiting for this Rachmaninov for a long time:

Evgeny Svetlanov conducts Rachmaninov & Prokofiev. ica classics: ICAC5069. Buy CD or download online. Daniil Shtoda (tenor), Elena Prokina (soprano) & Sergei Leiferkus (baritone), Alfreda Hodgson (mezzo-soprano) BBC Symphony Chorus & Orchestra, Philharmonia Chorus & Orchestra, Evgeny Svetlanov

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
        Been waiting for this Rachmaninov for a long time:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/i...ssics/ICAC5069
        It's thrilling that this is coming out - an unforgettable performance. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Better price and post-free at HMV.
          http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=644163

Comment

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
            True, but who in their right mind would pre-order from HMV?

Comment

Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                Works for me.
                Never had any problems with them, either.

Comment

On a few occasions they have announced, after several months, that a pre-ordered item is unobtainable. I have then, in all such cases, successfully ordered those very items from an alternative supplier, though at higher cost.

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                    True, but who in their right mind would pre-order from HMV?
                    I think EOTS is querying long-term financial health rather than short-term customer service...

Comment

I think EOTS is querying long-term financial health rather than short-term customer service...
                      Exactly! Not even long-term either.

I actually do order from HMV and have always found them efficient and quick but I'd be dubious about pre-ordering too far in advance.

Comment

I strongly suspect the two are very closely linked. Many months ago I suggest here that such situations as I described were probably down to HMV's suppliers' nervousness regarding whether thy would be paid for their goods. By the way, hmv.com does not process your credit card payment until the time of dispatch, so there should be no particular problem of 'refunds' if/when they fold.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I strongly suspect the two are very closely linked. Many months ago I suggest here that such situations as I described were probably down to HMV's suppliers' nervousness regarding whether thy would be paid for their goods. By the way, hmv.com does not process your credit card payment until the time of dispatch, so there should be no particular problem of 'refunds' if/when they fold.

Comment

For anyone who wants to indulge in hours of Messiaen in decent (and well-recorded) performances, this forthcoming issue is a good buy

The Davis/Boston Symphony Sibelius cycle is also being released cheaply (and includes the Violin Concerto, played by Salvatore Accardo, which has a slow movement of rare beauty).

Possibly less exciting (but still well-played and recorded) is

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                              For anyone who wants to indulge in hours of Messiaen in decent (and well-recorded) performances, this forthcoming issue is a good buy

Some of us here got those when they were but part of:

I now wish I had bought several sets. They appear to be selling a something of a premium these days.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                                The Davis/Boston Symphony Sibelius cycle is also being released cheaply (and includes the Violin Concerto, played by Salvatore Accardo, which has a slow movement of rare beauty).
                                I was very interested in this until I realised that they hadn't found room for the marvellous recording of the Humoresques that was originally coupled with the Violin Concerto on LP.
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X