X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 2 threads going on the piece, I'm listening to Simon Rattle's Mahler 10.

Comment

Today:

Rosy Wertheim:

3 Chansons (1939)
      2 Lieder (1922)
      4 Songs (1933)

Beethoven:
      Christus am Oelberge op.85 (1803 rev ’10)
      String quartet in C op.59/3 “Rasumovsky 3”

Comment

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
        With 2 threads going on the piece, I'm listening to Simon Rattle's Mahler 10.
        Which one?

Comment

Berliner Philharmoniker - Sir Simon Rattle - Sibelius Edition
          Symphonies 1-7
          Berliner Philharmoniker/Sir Simon Rattle
          Recorded live 2013/14 Philharmonie, Berlin
          Berliner Philharmoniker own label

Andreas Scholl - Handel - Ombra mai fu
          Arias from Admeto, Serse, Giulio Cesare,
          Radamisto, Alcina, Alexander’s Feast

Andreas Scholl (countertenor)
          Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin
          Recorded 1998 Christuskirche, Oberschöneweide, Berlin
          Harmonia Mundi

Coleman Hawkins with Charlie Shavers, Ray Byrant,
          Tiny Grimes, George Duvivier with Osie Johnson

‘Hawk Eyes’
          Prestige (1959)

Comment

Brahms: Piano Quartet op. 25 orchestrated by Schoenberg
            Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra / Marc Albrecht
            Great stuff. Arnold's studying of Brahms scores certainly paid off. The central section of the third movement is a riot, and the finale sounds like an until-now undiscovered Hungarian Dance. Terrific performance and (Pentatone) recording too.

Ludwig Berger: Die schöne Müllerin op. 11
            Schubert: Die schöne Müllerin D.795
            Markus Schäfer (tenor), Tobias Koch (fortepiano)
            I'm not sure. The booklet notes make much of the performance tradition at Schubertiades and the like, with performers more likely than not to indulge in embellishment and variation, especially in strophic songs. The problem here is that what would be spontaneous in a live performance loses out when committed to disc. I fear this recording would become wearing after a couple of hearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Berliner Philharmoniker - Sir Simon Rattle - Sibelius Edition
              Symphonies 1-7
              Did you really listen to all seven?

Comment

Stan, I should think that was rather good?
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Stan, I should think that was rather good?
                  Hiya Maestro,

I'm just going throught it. Anything from this orchestra is worthy of interest and it sounds promising.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                    Did you really listen to all seven?
                    HIya Jimbo,

Of course not. I'm working my way throught the set. Somtimes dipping in. I will be playing the set over the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      HIya Jimbo,

Of course not. I'm working my way throught the set. Somtimes dipping in. I will be playing the set over the next few days.
                      Best way to do things, Stan!

My tastes must be changing, or I am getting older, not sure. I am actually listening to Abbado conducting Mozart, with the Orchestra Mozart, a collection of WAM's wind concerti..
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        My tastes must be changing, or I am getting older, not sure.
                        I can reassure you that you are getting older, Bbm - that's the way time goes in this Universe.

I am actually listening to Abbado conducting Mozart, with the Orchestra Mozart, a collection of WAM's wind concerti..
                        Why is this a "change of taste"? You often make an exception for Abbado's performances from your "I hate Mozart" blanket statements.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

[QUOTE=ferneyhoughgeliebte;511308]I can reassure you that you are getting older, Bbm - that's the way time goes in this Universe.

Why is this a "change of taste"? You often make an exception for Abbado's performances from your "I hate Mozart" blanket statements.[/QUOTE]

£30 kill or cure......
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            I can reassure you that you are getting older, Bbm - that's the way time goes in this Universe.

Why is this a "change of taste"? You often make an exception for Abbado's performances from your "I hate Mozart" blanket statements.
                            Very true, ferney. Abbado, I do have a penchant for anything he does. I do like a lot of the usual suspects, plus some others but if someone brings out something in a composer's music, that other maestri cannot, then I think that's something special.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

This:

There were three rauens sat on a tree, downe a downe, hay downe, hay downe There were three rauens sat on a tree, with a downe, There were three ...

It's John Harle's setting of "The Three Ravens" (with a new tune by Harle himself, rather than an arrangement of the original tune (composed or collected) by Thomas Ravenscroft.) I first heard it during Simon Schama's "A History of Britain" - it tended to crop up when something particularly dire was being described (for example, the bit about the execution of Mary Queen of Scots.) It really got to me: I later tracked it down on youtube - and to some extent wish I hadn't: I think it's a wonderful piece, but it's also one of the most persistent earworms I know (particularly that strange opening, with the horn's rising ninth, and the flute's little chromatic turn.)

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                I'm about half-way (I think) through "A Brief History of Time" at (I think) the moment, and I'm beginning to wonder

Comment

Working...
                                X