Leonard Bernstein
      Sublime!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        25th Anniversary of the Death of Leonard Bernstein
        Mahler Symphony Number 6 in A minor (1904 version); NYPO/Bernstein. (CBS/SONY)

(Stereo version)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

No way is it 25 years,blimey.

Prague Symphony then,VPO.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            No way is it 25 years,blimey.
            I was shocked to realize this, too - I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news, and I used my lunchtime to pop out to my local WHSmiths to buy his recording of the Mozart Requiem.

Prague Symphony then,VPO.
            No better recording of the work, IMO, Edgey - the repeat of the second "half" of the last Movement literally made me leap out of my seat when I first heard it!

Great Mozartian, great figure, still greatly missed.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I was shocked to realize this, too - I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news, and I used my lunchtime to pop out to my local WHSmiths to buy his recording of the Mozart Requiem.

No better recording of the work, IMO, Edgey - the repeat of the second "half" of the last Movement literally made me leap out of my seat when I first heard it!

...and surely always will be. There are some people whom one misses once they're gone but far fewer whom one continues to miss after so long; Leonard Bernstein (my other favourite Leonard, as I once told someone! - some people here will get this) is undoubtedly one of them; there was quite simply no one like him. A truly great communicator; I've never forgotten him talking about Shostakovich's Sixth Symphony before performing it; utterly remarkable and riveting.

Comment

I can't believe it's 25 years either but it is!

I was unbelievably lucky to have attended the Barbican performance of the Mahler 9 with Bernstein and the Concertgebouw in June 1985 (in the same week as the DG recording was made in Amsterdam) and luckier still to have met Bernstein after that concert. Bernard Haitink was in the audience and was also backstage at the same as I was (as was Gilbert Kaplan). Amazing memories from an amazing Sunday afternoon.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Does the DG recording convey the same spirit as the Barbican performance?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Agreed,IMO one of the best recordings of anything by anyone.

And what a marveous piece it is,probably my favourite non British or Russian symphony.

Comment

Great minds …

Nielsen: Symphony No. 3
                      Royal Danish Orchestra / Leonard Bernstein

Bernstein: Suite from On The Waterfront
                      New York Philharmonic / Leonard Bernstein

Mahler: Symphony No. 5
                      Vienna Philharmonic / Leonard Bernstein
                      Last edited by DublinJimbo; 15-10-15, 16:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        I was unbelievably lucky to have attended the Barbican performance of the Mahler 9 with Bernstein and the Concertgebouw in June 1985.
                        Me, too - and (IIRC) so was Caliban - although I didn't know this at the time). Very, very special; I almost envy your meeting LB afterwards - but I was with the very best of company, and it's always a mistake to meet your heroes, and neither LB nor myself would have been coherent after that performance, and ... no, sod it! I do envy your meeting him!

Apart from DubJim's On the Waterfront, nobody seems to have mentioned listening to any of Bernstein's own Music yesterday. I might "Listen Again" to the Serenade from the concert the other evening to redress a balance - but, to my regret, none of his compositions (not even the best ones, like Waterfront) create the same thrill in me as do his best recordings.

Comment

Brahms
                          String Sextet in G major, Op. 36;
                          String Quartet in C minor, Op. 51/1
                          Leipziger Streichquartett,
                          with Hartmut Rohde (viola) & Peter Bruns (cello)
                          Recorded 2004 Rathaussaal Markkleeberg, Leipzig
                          MDG Gold

Otmar Suitner - Edition Staatskapelle Dresden Vol. 36.
                          Richard Strauss

Orchestral suite Der Bürger als Edelman,
                          Salome's Dance,
                          Der Rosenkavalier - Waltz sequence from Act 3.
                          Symphonic interludes from Intermezzo,
                          Prelude to Act 3 of Arabella,
                          Interlude ‘Moonshine music’ from Capriccio,
                          Dresden Staatskapelle/Otmar Suitner
                          Recorded September 1963/64 Rundfunk der DDR &
                          GDR Radio, Deutsche Hygiene-Museum, Dresden

Johnny Hodges featuring Ben Webster with Roy Eldridge,
                          Ray Nance, Jimmy Hamilton, Lawrence Brown, Billy Strayhorn,
                          Jimmy Woode & Sam Woodyard

‘Not so Dukish’
                          Verve (rec. 1958)

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I do rather like this recording.

Delius

Brigg Fair; Piano Concerto; Idyll de Printemps; Paris(The Song of a Great City). Howard Shelley(piano), RSNO, Sir Andrew Davis
                            Just finishing playing this recording, at the moment. the on to Martha Argerich & Friends Live - Lugano Festival 2014 edition
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Leonard Bernstein - Chichester Psalms - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1axCTkIfP9Q
                              Carlisle Floyd - Trees on the Mountains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyE0CvX3fPE*
                              Dominick Argento - Diaphinia Number 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFO5ntLdCbI
                              Jack Beeson - Three Choral Settings - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtjW6UEZ16M

*Just wonderful - absolutely wonderful. Dare I say it sounds, erm, black skinned to me.
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-10-15, 14:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                Does the DG recording convey the same spirit as the Barbican performance?
                                It was recorded just a few days before the Barbican performance, Alison, so it's as near to it as we are ever going to get. However, listening from my seat to the live performance the sense of tension and excitement was something that no recording will ever capture. Those of us backstage had to wait a long time for LB to appear. He finally emerged in dressing gown having just showered, hugging and kissing those he knew. I got him to autograph the programme book (Claudio Abbado had already done so earlier in the Mahler concert series) and it's before me as I type.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X