This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I noted the current asking price. The "Hmm" was intended to indicate a certain unhappiness with the current situation. The sooner that set returns to the catalogue, the better. Have you tried searching out lossless downloads?
    Hiya Bryn,

Sadly I don't do downloads yet. I like handling the actual CD and booklet. My point is that this Previn/ Vaughan Williams set is out of the top drawer. It feels as if it should be a mainstay of the RCA catalogue and I'm surprised it’s not been reissued recently. Of all the various recordings I hear people enquiring about it is this much admired RVW/Previn set.

Comment

Just been gardening with headphones and really enjoying some recently bought young Fischer-Dieskau live with Gerald Moore - Salzburger Liederabende, 1956-65. 11CD box set (well priced at Amazon de)

Comment

Mozart. Piano concertos 24 & 27.

Christian Zacharias with the NDRSO under Gunther Wand. A lovely recording I picked up in the Oxfam shop today for £1.49 but also available from Amazon for 13p! It gets a good review in the February 1987 Gramophone.

Comment

Following and earlier spinning of Beethoven's Diabelli Variation played by the same pianist, Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated (Igor Levit). The Goldberg Variations to follow later.

Comment

Beethoven: Symphony No 1

[interval]

Shostakovich: Symphony No 8

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
            Sir Georg Solti
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Hiya Bryn,

Sadly I don't do downloads yet. I like handling the actual CD and booklet. My point is that this Previn/ Vaughan Williams set is out of the top drawer. It feels as if it should be a mainstay of the RCA catalogue and I'm surprised it’s not been reissued recently. Of all the various recordings I hear people enquiring about it is this much admired RVW/Previn set.
              Perhaps all of us RVW "fans", should lobby RCA to highlight this?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Perhaps all of us RVW "fans", should lobby RCA to highlight this?
                I would do, without hesitation, as part of a team initiative.

Am not at all a Beethoven person but tonight is the night. This post will a strange mixture of things. First, I don't have any familiarity with L'Orchestre du Monde and fear that they might not be rated. Secondly, I am only choosing LVB and L'ODM for one reason. An interview with Joanna Lumley who works close to them. Thirdly, I am a fairly ordinary fella in many ways and am not of the same class background. But what an exceptional, beautiful and attractive woman in all respects. She is extraordinary and she always cheers me up:

Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No 7, Second Movement - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14TNcGHKuzo
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 11-10-15, 22:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  I would do, without hesitation, as part of a team initiative.

Am not at all a Beethoven person but tonight is the night. This post will a strange mixture of things. First, I don't have any familiarity with L'Orchestre du Monde and fear that they might not be rated. Secondly, I am only choosing LVB and L'ODM for one reason. An interview with Joanna Lumley who works close to them. Thirdly, I am a fairly ordinary fella in many ways and am not of the same class background. But what an exceptional, beautiful and attractive woman in all respects. She is extraordinary and she always cheers me up:

Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No 7, Second Movement - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14TNcGHKuzo
                  I once found myself standing next to her in one of the Albert Hall bars. Must say I agree with your assessment! Way out of my league, of course, and much taller too!
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I once found myself standing next to her in one of the Albert Hall bars. Must say I agree with your assessment! Way out of my league, of course, and much taller too!

Thanks for the confirmation - I just really, really, really, like her.

No gushing Monday to follow. (PS and she is taller than me too tbh)*

(*Actually just googled, maybe not, very similar though)
                    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 11-10-15, 23:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Following and earlier spinning of Beethoven's Diabelli Variation played by the same pianist, Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated (Igor Levit). The Goldberg Variations to follow later.
                      I listened to the Goldbergs and will listen to the other two tomorrow and the following day. I am especially looking forward to the Rzewski. I have six versions already, but have great hopes for this.

Comment

Did you converse?

Comment

Did you converse?

Comment

Haydn
                            Symphony No. 31 in D major, Hob. I:31, ‘Horn signal’
                            Symphony No. 70 in D major, Hob. I:70
                            Symphony No. 101 in D major, Hob. I:101, ‘The Clock’
                            Scottish Chamber Orchestra/Robin Ticciati
                            Recorded 2015 Usher Hall, Edinburgh
                            Linn Records

Lehár
                            Waltzes
                            Gold und Silber, Op. 79,
                            Die lustige Witwe: O kommet doch, o kommt, Ihr Ballsiren,
                            Where the Lark Sings,
                            Giuditta: excerpt(s),
                            Der Graf von Luxemburg: excerpt(s),
                            Zigeunerliebe: excerpts(s),
                            Eva: excerpt(s),
                            Wiener Johann Strauss-Orchester/Willi Boskovsky
                            Recorded Vienna 1982
                            EMI Classics

Grant Green with Dave Bailey, Frank Hayes & Ben Tucker
                            ‘Reaching Out’
                            Blue Note (1961)

Comment

Carrying on with my survey of Andre Previn's Vaughan Williams cycle. Sinfonia Antartica. I have heard numerous recordings of this work and found that, I could possibly say that this is most likely the most atmostpheric of the ones I know.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Hi BBM,

It's very good IMO,but Haitink and Bakels (the underwhelming organ part excepted) are just that bit more special.
                                To my ears at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X