Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Nothing to add to all the tributes above - a constant in my pantheon of musical heroes for more than 50 years so will be much missed. Last saw him at the RFH in the LvB late sonatas. I have a memory of reading not that long ago an interview with him (possibly in Diapason) where the interviewer extracted the confession from him that he had finally been persuaded to give up smoking (on health grounds) but that he missed it. RIP

Same here. I was so saddened to hear. As I related in the other thread my pandemic related cancellation of tickets to see him was a major disappointment

Comment

I never saw Pollini live but I've enjoyed his recordings since the famous EMI Chopin first concerto. I think his most distinctive work was in 20th-century music, such as Luigi Nono, of whose music he was an invaluable interpreter.

Comment

Very sad to hear.
        We had a short stay in New York in 2010, our only visit to USA, and wanted to experience a concert in Carnegie Hall. On the only night we could go, Pollini was playing a solo recital. Totally sold out, but we queued for returns and actually got in - two singles in different parts of the auditorium. So we got to see the Hall and a great pianist at work.

The first recording I acquired was that famous 1960 Kletzki/Philharmonia Chopin 1.​

Comment

very sad to see the news. I did see Pollini a few times in concert, at the RAH with Rattle and the CBSO in Mozart, and in Leipzig with Chailly in Beethoven's fourth piano concerto.

RIP

Comment

I was lucky to see Pollini play three times at the RFH: two were Chopin and Debussy programmes, finishing with the first book of Debussy Préludes in 2014, and returning for the second book in 2017. Most memorable of all was his Beethoven recital with the Tempest, Waldstein and Hammerklavier sonatas in a single evening. He recently re-recorded the Hammerklavier, a very fine performance, paired with Op. 101:

I didn't see his final appearance in London, where he lost his way and found it again, but it's hard to read this account with dry eyes today:

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post
              I was lucky to see Pollini play three times at the RFH: two were Chopin and Debussy programmes, finishing with the first book of Debussy Préludes in 2014, and returning for the second book in 2017. Most memorable of all was his Beethoven recital with the Tempest, Waldstein and Hammerklavier sonatas in a single evening. He recently re-recorded the Hammerklavier, a very fine performance, paired with Op. 101:
              Ludwig van BeethovenPiano Sonata No.29 in B-flat major, Op.106, "Hammerklavier"Maurizio Pollini, pianistRecorded at the Residenz, Herkulessaal, Munich in Apr...

I didn't see his final appearance in London, where he lost his way and found it again, but it's hard to read this account with dry eyes today:
              https://christopheraxworthymusiccomm...onio-morabito/
              Thank you for that link! An extraordinary account of a moving, troubled occasion.

Comment

Despite having been ambivalent on the other thread about his recordings, I found myself deeply saddened by the news of Pollini's death. He has always been there as a great pianistic presence, throughout my life. Thanks to the posts over the past couple of weeks I have been listening again to his Chopin recordings, so he has been more in my mind recently than for quite a while. I listened again to the slow movement of the Chopin 1st Concerto - really quite remarkable playing, and miraculous for an 18 year old.

Comment

Times obituary here:

Warning: Tom Service is mentioned therein!

Comment

Sad news. IIRC I like his recording of Brahms' piano quintet - I think with the Italians.

Maurizio RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                      Despite having been ambivalent on the other thread about his recordings, I found myself deeply saddened by the news of Pollini's death. He has always been there as a great pianistic presence, throughout my life. Thanks to the posts over the past couple of weeks I have been listening again to his Chopin recordings, so he has been more in my mind recently than for quite a while. I listened again to the slow movement of the Chopin 1st Concerto - really quite remarkable playing, and miraculous for an 18 year old.
                      Pollini’s Chopin PC1 was superb, a bar setter for his recorded legacy made at a very young age. Much to admire in what he played - I like his Mozart PC19/23 with VPO/Bohm.
                      RIP Maurizio

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Times obituary here:
                        Thank you, Pulcie. A good in depth obit by Morrison which helped me understand why I took to Pollini's performances (and, incidentally, why I don't like others).
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Pollini plays Nono:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupNono: Como una ola de fuerza y luz (1971-2) - Piano Entry · Maurizio Pollini · Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen...

JR

Comment

Thansk for posting that.I remember eagerly getting the LP when it came out with its brilliant scarlet cover . The Gramophone didn't like it. 'A waste of Pollini' they said. I still think it's one of Nono's best pieces. Of course I listen to it purely as a piece of msuic. I don't follow any of the political connotations.

Comment

On Twitter Vikungur Olafsson suggested getting hold of his DG record of the Chopin Sonatas and listening straight through. I was able to get a very cheap secondhand copy and have done so . I find as with his recordings of the Scherzi I admired the pianism but found the performances rather cool - more the Second Sonata than the Third. In particular, the lovely melody that follows the funeral march felt like sunshine on a cold day lacking warmth but maybe after a funeral march that was what he intended !

I think it was Olafsson who also mentioned that his father loved Pollini's recordings and his mother couldn't abide them.

I enjoyed the 1970s Brahms with Bohm and Abbado - not on the level of say enjoying Gilels, Curzon or Solomon but somehow actually their rather cooler temperature was musically very engaging I found myself listening closely rather than just being swept up by them .

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                                Sad news, he was of the greats. One of my earliest concerts was seeing him (in an unpretentious lounge suite, so rare back then) play late Beethoven at the RFH, then numerous performances with Abbado. His Brahms PC2 recording with Abbado is my go to choice, the second movement is granitic. His Petrushka and Brahms Quintet discs are particular favourites. RIP.
                                Which one ? There are two one from the late 1970s early 1980s and one from the 1990s I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X