Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Perhaps things will change….when one of the very few politicians to reach a decent level on a musical instrument assumes power.
    Current Shadow Secretary of State for Culture &c is married to an opera singer, and was a member (cellist) of the NYOGB. Just an interesting factoid. No necessity to follow it up
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Surely there are already too many on the fiddle!
      All members of the Bow Group?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

All members of the Bow Group?

Comment

Duncan Henley was on this on Saturday . His talk of access to high quality opera performances really annoyed me . Here in the South West Glyndebourne no longer tour and WNO have gone from six operas a year to two plus a highlights concert. In large swathes of the UK live opera is dying. They had Martyn Brabbins in for balance to set the record straight, ACE don’t like opera . I haven’t the stomach to read the recent Let’s Create : Opera and music report - it would just get me too worked up. Even the title - I don’t want to create an opera . I don’t have the talent but I’m more than happy to see some of my not inconsiderable tax to go to those that can.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Current Shadow Secretary of State for Culture &c is married to an opera singer, and was a member (cellist) of the NYOGB. Just an interesting factoid. No necessity to follow it up
            Starmer used to play the clarinet to a good standard. He has a genuine love of classical music. Lammy was a chorister in Peterborough so musical too.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
              An interesting interview on R4 Front Row this evening, with the general managers of Wigmore Hall and the LSO, both saying outright that ACE is simply not fit for purpose. Wigmore Hall is pulling out of taking any Arts Council money, as the required documentation is not only intrusive, but now costing as much to administer as the grant they're getting (see my previous comments!)
              Private Eye broke that story a while back. Wigmore is niche, has a loyal subscriber base and has lots of $$$ from 'oligarchic' money. Even a 'cheap' ticket there seems to have gone up dramatically. I think it"s a unique case.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                Excellent article by Richard and I don’t disagree with a single word. But I also think he perhaps underplays the impact of Covid and inflation. Audiences are well down on 2019 . My last concert at the RFH Mahler and the Philharmonia had the top tier closed - only the stalls were on sale.
                Is that a case of too much Mahler and not enough good conductors ? I've not been to a Philharmonia concert since Mackerras days. Not been to LSO since Sir Colin was at the helm! I am not interested in concerts these days. I spend my money on good hifi and listen at home

Comment

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post

Private Eye broke that story a while back. Wigmore is niche, has a loyal subscriber base and has lots of $$$ from 'oligarchic' money. Even a 'cheap' ticket there seems to have gone up dramatically. I think it"s a unique case.
                  Good points about Wigmore Hall's special financial position. But though it is the first to make the break, other organisations (e.g. LSO) are threatening the same action, as ACE's bureaucracy is costing more as the value of their grants decreases.

I don't know whether you heard Darren Henley sliding around some good challenges put to him on Front Row (R4) last night? He justified the spiralling bureaucracy required by complaining that ACE needed the data to justify its requests for public money. A spurious excuse, as was his blatant 'hands up' on having given way to government pressures to valorise amateur community work over professional performance ("They are our paymasters, after all").

If anyone still doubts the need for a root-and-branch reform of ACE, that interview ought to convince them. This man is not equipped to be managing a street party, let alone presiding over dismemberment of the arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post

Good points about Wigmore Hall's special financial position. But though it is the first to make the break, other organisations (e.g. LSO) are threatening the same action, as ACE's bureaucracy is costing more as the value of their grants decreases.

I don't know whether you heard Darren Henley sliding around some good challenges put to him on Front Row (R4) last night? He justified the spiralling bureaucracy required by complaining that ACE needed the data to justify its requests for public money. A spurious excuse, as was his blatant 'hands up' on having given way to government pressures to valorise amateur community work over professional performance ("They are our paymasters, after all").

If anyone still doubts the need for a root-and-branch reform of ACE, that interview ought to convince them. This man is not equipped to be managing a street party, let alone presiding over dismemberment of the arts.
                    He was also on Music Matters this week and was so annoying re opera - putting such a ridiculously positive spin on ACE’s hatchet job that I felt compelled to complain (again) .

Comment

Working...
                    X