This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
    Not only beautiful, but with the 5th Symphony a work of quite outstanding craftsmanship. Which is why I consider RVW one of the greatest of all symphonists.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
      Not only beautiful, but with the 5th Symphony a work of quite outstanding craftsmanship. Which is why I consider RVW one of the greatest of all symphonists.

Goodness, SC! that's quite a statement to make! But with the studies that have been doing of late, I can see why you have said this. certainly the 5th is beyond phrase. just so perfect in many ways. I may have to alter my listening today.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

The 5th was the work that really made me love RVW. I was familiar with the London and Antarctica Symphonies and liked them enough to explore the rest of RVW, but the 5th was one of epiphanies in Music Appreciation for me, and I spent several months exploring RVW after that.
        I've been listening to the Vanska Sibelius 3/6/7 with the Minnesota Orchestra. It is very good, and the recording quality is superlative , but it falls a bit short in a very competitive field. In 3 Vanska fails to nail the coda of the last movement, ruining an otherwise very decent recording. My previous favorite 3 is Barbirolli /Halle and so it remains. My previous favorite 6 was Vanska with his Lahti Orchestra and while I haven't made a comparison this new one sounds similar . The 7
        Is very good, particularly the opening pages, but once again, the big dramatic moment seems to slide by and come off as a missed opportunity . My favorite 7 remains Azhkenazy with the Philharmonia .

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          Ah, Carl Schuricht. I am not very aware all that much of this conductor's work
          I don't know much about Schuricht, but I had picked up his recordings of Bruckner 8/9 in a second hand store, contained in a Jewell box big enough to hold The Ring. It 's great Bruckner, BBM; the 'moment of doom' in I of the 8th reflexively made me ask the Almighty for atonement for all that I have done, and his shapeing of IV made it more of a whole with the rest of the work than is frequently the case. 9 is also first rate if perhaps not quite as involving as the 8

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            I don't know much about Schuricht, but I had picked up his recordings of Bruckner 8/9 in a second hand store, contained in a Jewell box big enough to hold The Ring. It 's great Bruckner, BBM; the 'moment of doom' in I of the 8th reflexively made me ask the Almighty for atonement for all that I have done, and his shapeing of IV made it more of a whole with the rest of the work than is frequently the case. 9 is also first rate if perhaps not quite as involving as the 8
            More investigations!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Beethoven. Symphonies 5 & 7.

The Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                Beethoven. Symphonies 5 & 7.

The Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Otto Klemperer

Comment

Alexander Borodin - In the Steppes of Central Asia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W2aQf8Lb5M

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                    Alexander Borodin - In the Steppes of Central Asia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W2aQf8Lb5M
                    I love that piece. I am currently streaming Bruckner 5 Haitink/Bavarian Radio on Classics Online

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      I love that piece. I am currently streaming Bruckner 5 Haitink/Bavarian Radio on Classics Online

Comment

This evening:

Listening to my scores 164:

Vaughan Williams:
                        Symphony No 6 in E minor - study score
                        An Oxford Elegy - vocal score
                        The Sons of Light - vocal score

Comment

Mozart. Music for two pianos.

Martha Argerich and Michael Rabinovitch.

Comment

Dvorak: Symphony no. 6 in D major op. 60
                            London Symphony Orchestra / Witold Rowicki

What a great set this is.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                              Dvorak: Symphony no. 6 in D major op. 60
                              London Symphony Orchestra / Witold Rowicki

What a great set this is.
                              It certainly is. I wonder if it will ever be re-issued for Dvorak 'newcomers?' I rate it and Kertész as being the 'gold standard' in Dvorak complete symphony sets.

Comment

Having just finished listening to the wonderful Ninth Symphony of Robert Simpson (Tod Handley conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra on a Hyperion release, and certainly one of the best works of the 20th Century IMHO, CDA 66299, in fact I think that I was at the first London performance of the work conducted by Sir Simon Rattle, as I remember).

Now: Claude Debussy: Pelleas et Melisande

Le Roux/Ewing/Van Dam/Coutis/Ludwig

Wiener Philharmoniker/Abbado (Deutsche Grammophon 435 344-2GH2)

I actually saw this opera in Birmingham, with the Welsh Opera under Pierre Boulez a few years ago, with Alison Hagley. Quite a night...

Comment

Working...
                                X